- Volume 6 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Collective Experience: A Database-Fuelled, Inter-Disciplinary Team-Led Learning System
- Celi, Leo A. (Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Cambridge, and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center) ;
- Mark, Roger G. (Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Cambridge, and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center) ;
- Lee, Joon (Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology) ;
- Scott, Daniel J. (Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology) ;
- Panch, Trishan (Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology)
- Received : 2011.07.18
- Accepted : 2012.02.06
- Published : 2012.03.30
We describe the framework of a data-fuelled, interdisciplinary team-led learning system. The idea is to build models using patients from one's own institution whose features are similar to an index patient as regards an outcome of interest, in order to predict the utility of diagnostic tests and interventions, as well as inform prognosis. The Laboratory of Computational Physiology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology developed and maintains MIMIC-II, a public deidentified high- resolution database of patients admitted to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. It hosts teams of clinicians (nurses, doctors, pharmacists) and scientists (database engineers, modelers, epidemiologists) who translate the day-to-day questions during rounds that have no clear answers in the current medical literature into study designs, perform the modeling and the analysis and publish their findings. The studies fall into the following broad categories: identification and interrogation of practice variation, predictive modeling of clinical outcomes within patient subsets and comparative effectiveness research on diagnostic tests and therapeutic interventions. Clinical databases such as MIMIC-II, where recorded health care transactions - clinical decisions linked with patient outcomes - are constantly uploaded, become the centerpiece of a learning system.
- M. Saeed, M. Villarroel, A. T. Reisner, G. Clifford, L. Lehman, G. Moody, T. Heldt, T. H. Kyaw, B. Moody, and R. G. Mark, "Multiparameter Intelligent Monitoring in Intensive Care II (MIMIC-II): a public-access intensive care unit database," Critical Care Medicine, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 952-960, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0b013e31820a92c6
- J. Price, Oracle Database 11g SQL. New York: McGraw- Hill, 2007.
- PhysioNet, "The WFDB software package," http://www.physionet. org/physiotools/wfdb.shtml.
- M. B. Craig, B. E. Moody, S. Jia, M. C. Villarroel, and R. G. Mark, "Matching data fragments with imperfect identifiers from disparate sources," Computing in Cardiology, vol. 37, pp. 793-796, 2010.
- PhysioNet, "De-identification: software and test data," http:// www.physionet.org/physiotools/deid/.
- I. Neamatullah, M. M. Douglass, L. H. Lehman, A. Reisner, M. Villarroel, W. J. Long, P. Szolovits, G. B. Moody, R. G. Mark, and G. D. Clifford, "Automated de-identification of free-text medical records," BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, vol. 8, 32, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6947-8-32
- T. Mandelbaum, D. J. Scott, J. Lee, R. G. Mark, A. Malhotra, S. S. Waikar, M. D. Howell, and D. Talmor, "Outcome of critically ill patients with acute kidney Injury using the Acute Kidney Injury Network criteria," Critical Care Medicine, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 2659-2664, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0b013e3182281f1b
- K. Strand and H. Flaatten, "Severity scoring in the ICU: a review," Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 467-478, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-6576.2008.01586.x
- L. A. Celi, L. C. Hinske, G. Alterovitz, and P. Szolovits, "Artificial intelligence to predict fluid requirement in the ICU: a proof-of-concept study," Critical Care, vol. 12, no. 6, p. R151, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1186/cc7140
- L. A. Celi, R. J. Tang, M. C. Villarroel, G. A. Davidzon, W. T. Lester, and H. C. Chueh, "A clinical database-driven approach to decision support: predicting mortality among patients with acute kidney injury," Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 97-110, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1260/2040-2222.214.171.124
- J. P. Ioannidis, "Why most published research findings are false," Public Library of Science Medicine, vol. 2, no. 8, p. e124, 2005.
- J. P. Ioannidis, "Contradicted and initially stronger effects in highly cited clinical research," JAMA, vol. 294, no. 2, pp. 218-228, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.294.2.218
- R. P. El Dib, A. N. Atallah, and R. B. Andriolo, "Mapping the Cochrane evidence for decision making in health care," Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 689-692, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2007.00886.x
- J. Lee and R. G. Mark, "An investigation of patterns in hemodynamic data indicative of impending hypotension in intensive care," BioMedical Engineering OnLine, vol. 9, 62, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-925X-9-62
- Q. Li, R. G. Mark, and G. D. Clifford, "Artificial arterial blood pressure artifact models and an evaluation of a robust blood pressure and heart rate estimator," BioMedical Engineering Online, vol. 8, 13, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-925X-8-13
- A. Aboukhalil, L. Nielsen, M. Saeed, R. G. Mark, and G. D. Clifford, "Reducing false alarm rates for critical arrhythmias using the arterial blood pressure waveform," Journal of Biomedical Informatics, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 442-451, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.03.003
- Q. Li, R. G. Mark, and G. D. Clifford, "Robust heart rate estimation from multiple asynchronous noisy sources using signal quality indices and a Kalman filter," Physiological Measurement, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 15-32, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1088/0967-3334/29/1/002
- J. R. Le Gall, P. Loirat, and A. Alperovitch, "Simplified acute physiological score for intensive care patients," Lancet, vol. 322, no. 8352, p. 741, 1983.
- J. R. Vincent, R. Moreno, J. Takala, S. Willatts, A. Mendonça, H. Bruining, C. K. Reinhart, P. M. Suter, and L. G. Thijs, "The SOFA (Sepsis-related Organ Failure Assessment) score to describe organ dysfunction/failure," Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 707-710, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01709751
- X. Jia, A. Malhotra, M. Saeed, R. G. Mark, and D. Talmor, "Risk factors for ARDS in patients receiving mechanical ventilation for > 48 h," Chest, vol. 133, no. 4, pp. 853-861, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.07-1121
- L. Lehman, M. Saeed, G. Moody, and R. Mark, "Hypotension as a risk factor for acute kidney injury in ICU patients," Computing in Cardiology, vol. 37, pp. 1095-1098, 2010.
- Pharmacovigilance: An Active Surveillance System to Proactively Identify Risks for Adverse Events vol.16, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1089/pop.2012.0100
- Accessing the public MIMIC-II intensive care relational database for clinical research vol.13, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6947-13-9