- Volume 1 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A GTS Scheduling Algorithm for Voice Communication over IEEE 802.15.4 Multihop Sensor Networks
- Kovi, Aduayom-Ahego (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Bleza, Takouda (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Joe, Inwhee (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2012.09.27
- Published : 2012.11.30
The recent increase in use of the IEEE 802.15.4 standard for wireless connectivity in personal area networks makes of it an important technology for low-cost low-power wireless personal area networks. Studies showed that voice communications over IEEE 802.15.4 networks is feasible by Guaranteed Time Slot (GTS) allocation; but there are some constraints to accommodate voice transmission beyond two hops due to the excessive transmission delay. In this paper, we propose a GTS allocation scheme for bidirectional voice traffic in IEEE 802.15.4 multihop networks with the goal of achieving fairness and optimization of resource allocation. The proposed scheme uses a greedy algorithm to allocate GTSs to devices for successful completion of voice transmission with efficient use of bandwidth while considering closest devices with another factor for starvation avoidance. We analyze and validate the proposed scheme in terms of fairness and resource optimization through numeral analysis.
LR-WPAN;wireless sensor network;GTS;voice communication
- R. Mangharam, A. Rowe,. R. Rajkuman and R. Suzuki . "Voice over Sensor Networks". Proceedings of the 27th IEEE International Real-Time Systems Symposium (RTSS'06)
- L. Wenfeng, C. Guojun, Hanfei . "Short -distance Voice Communication Technology Based on Zigbee" 2009
- IEEE 802.15.4-2003 IEEE Standard for Information Technology-Part 15.4: wireless medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications for low-rate wireless personal area networks (LR-WPANs). 2003.
- C. Ho, C. Lin, W. Hwang, S. Chung, "Dynamic GTS Allocation Scheme in IEEE 802.15.4 by Multi-Factor," 2012 Eighth International Conference on Intelligent Information Hiding and Multimedia Signal Processing
- A, KOUBAA, M. ALVES, E. TOVAR, i-GAME: "An Implicit GTS Allocation Mechanism in IEEE 802.15.4 for Time-Sensitive Wireless Sensor Networks" Proc. Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems
- J. JUNG, H. BAEK, J. LIM, "GTS allocation scheme for bidirectional voice traffic in IEEE 802.15.4 multihop networks,"
- J.Chen, L. Ferriera, E. Tovar "An Explicit GTS Allocation Algorithm for IEEE 802.15.4"
- Y. Huang, A. Pang, T. Kuo, "AGA: Adaptive GTS allocation with low latency and fairness considerations for IEEE 802.15.4,"
- S. Jelassi, H. Youssef. "Adaptive playout scheduling algorithm tailored for real-time packet based voice conversations over wireless ad-hoc networks," Computer networks 52 (2008)2473-2488. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2008.04.009
- O. Turkes, S. Baydere. "Voice Quality Analysis in Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks: An experimental Study". 2011
- H.Wook Cho, Sueng J., and M. Y. Chung. "Utilization-Aware Dynamic GTS Allocation Scheme in IEEE 802.15.4" 2010 16th Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications.
- T. Facchinetti, M. Ghibaudi, E. Goldoni and A. Savioli. "Real-Time Voice Streaming over IEEE 802.15.4", 2010
- L. Cheng, Anu G. Bourgeois and Xin Zhang . "A new GTS allocation scheme for IEEE 802.15.4 networks with improved bandwith utilization." 2007.
- C. Wang and K. Sohraby, Rittwik J., Lussheng J. and M. Dneshmand ."Voice Communications over Zigbee Networks." 2008
- M. Berglund, J. Nelson and D. Picovici "Voice User Interface for Understanding Wireless Sensor Networks". ISSC 2006, Dublin Institute of Technology.