- Volume 1 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Automatic blood pressure measurement device using oscillometric method and Korotkoff sounds
- Wei, Ran (School of Electronics and Information Engineering, Tianjin Polytechnic University) ;
- Lim, Young Chul (Division of Electronic Engineering, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Im, Jae Joong (Division of Electronic Engineering, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2012.09.09
- Published : 2012.11.30
The oscillometric method and Korotkoff sound method are the most common ways to measure the blood pressure. A new automatic blood pressure measurement device, which uses both oscillometric method and Korotkoff method, was developed. A pressure sensor was used to obtain cuff pressure and oscillation signal, and a microphone was used to detect Korotkoff sounds. Forty-five measurements from fifteen subjects were used for analysis. Correlation coefficients between the traditional auscultatory method and Korotkoff sound method were 0.9820 and 0.9721 for the systolic and diastolic blood pressure values, respectively. Standard deviations of differences for the systolic and diastolic blood pressure values were 1.3019 and 1.4495, respectively. Correspondingly, correlation coefficients between the traditional auscultatory method and oscillometric method using newly developed algorithm were 0.9651 and 0.9136 for the systolic and diastolic blood pressure values, with the standard deviations of 1.42 and 1.73, respectively. The results showed that the newly developed algorithm for oscillometirc method provide accurate blood pressure values, moreover, Korotkoff sound method using microphone provides even higher accuracy. Therefore, a new automatic device which utilizes both oscillometric method and Korotkoff sound method would provide the accurate and reliable blood pressure values.
blood pressure;oscillometric;korotkoff sounds;PVDF
- C.M. McEniery, I.B. Wilkinson, A.P. Avolio, "Age, Hypertension and Arterial Function.", Clinical & Experimental Pharmacology & Physiology, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 665-671, July 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1681.2007.04657.x
- S.J. Zieman, V. Melenovsky, D.A. Kass, "Mechanisms, pathophysiology, and therapy of arterial stiffness", Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 25, pp. 932-943, February 2005. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.0000160548.78317.29
- E.K. Thomas, J.S. Robert, S.H. Rebecca, "JNC 7-It's More Than High Blood Pressure", The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 19, pp. 2573-2575, May 2003. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.289.19.2573
- S.S. Chio, E.M. Urbina, J. Lapointes, J. Tsai, G.S. Berenson, "Korotkoff sound versus oscillometric cuff sphygmomanometers: comparison between auscultatory and DynaPulse blood pressure measurements", Journal of the American Society of Hypertension, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 12-20, January-February 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jash.2010.10.005
- J.S. Williams, S. Brown, P.R. Conlin, "Videos in Clinical Medicine Blood Pressure Measurement", The New England Journal of Medicaine. vol. 360, no. 5, pp. 1-9, January 2009. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp0805753
- R. Raamat, K. Jagomägi, J. Talts, I. Mager, "Finger beat-to-beat blood pressure responses to successive hand elevations", Medical Engineering & Physics, vol. 31, no 5, pp.522-527, June 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medengphy.2008.10.002
- S. Jones, H. Simpson, H. Ahmed, "A comparison of two methods of blood pressure measurement.", British Journal of Nursing, vol. 15, no. 17, pp. 948-951, October 2006. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2006.15.17.21912
- J.A. Clark, M.W. Lieh-Lai, A. Sarnaik, T.K. Mattoo, "Discrepancies Between Direct and Indirect Blood Pressure Measurements Using Various Recommendations for Arm Cuff Selection", Pediatrics, Vol. 110, No. 5, pp. 920-923, November 2002. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.110.5.920
- C.F. Babbs, "Oscillometric measurement of systolic and diastolic blood pressures validated in a physiologic mathematical model", BioMedical Engineering OnLine, vol. 11, no. 1, August 2012.
- M. Forouzanfar, H.R. Dajani, V.Z. Groza, M. Bolic, S. Rajan, "Feature-Based Neural Network Approach for Oscillometric Blood Pressure Estimation",IEEE Transactions On Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 2786-2796, August 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2011.2123210
- M.R. Nelson, S. Quinn, T.M. Winzenberg, F. Howes, L. Shiel, C.M. Reid, "Ankle-Brachial Index determination and peripheral arterial disease diagnosis by an oscillometric blood pressure device in primary care: validation and diagnostic accuracy study.", BMJ Open, vol. 2, no. 5, October 2012.
- Y. Wan, C. Heneghan, R. Stevens, R.J. McManus, A. Ward, R. Perera, M. Thompson, L. Tarassenko, D. Mant. "Determining which automatic digital blood pressure device performs adequately: a systematic review.", Journal of Human Hypertension, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 431-438, April 2010. https://doi.org/10.1038/jhh.2010.37