- Volume 28 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Application Study of Dry-ice Pellet Cleaning for Removing Oil Paint and Lacquer of Outdoor Metal Artifacts
Dry-ice Pellet Cleaning 적용 옥외 금속문화재 표면 페인트 및 유성물질 제거방법 비교 연구
- Lee, Jee-Eun (Department of Cultural Heritage Conservation Science, Kongju National University) ;
- Cho, Nam-Chul (Department of Cultural Heritage Conservation Science, Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, Jong-Myoung (Laser Engineering Group, IMT Co. Ltd.) ;
- Yu, Jae-Eun (National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage)
- Received : 2012.06.13
- Accepted : 2012.08.16
- Published : 2012.09.20
Damage of cultural properties happens variously. Particularly, the surface damage of metal cultural properties exposed outdoors lowers historical and art historical value of artifact by artificial damage such as paint, scribbling containing oily material and so on. Therefore, this study compared dry-ice pellet cleaning with poultice when clearing paint and oily material environment-friendly, harmlessly to humans and without damage of artifact. As the result of experiment, when clearing those (paint and oily material) by poultice, oily paint was cleared, but there were spots of metal surface. Also, Lacquer spray wasn't well cleared, and resin came off the surface of artifact. When clearing those by dry-ice pellet cleaning, oil paint was cleanly cleared without surface damage of artifact according to Stereoscopic microscope observation, color-measurement, FT-IR, SEM analysis. Also, lacquer spray seemed to be cleared with the naked eye, but there were minute particles on surface according to the result of SEM observation. Consequently, we could confirm possibility of dry-ice pellet cleaning substitution.
Supported by : 국립문화재연구소
- 국립현대미술관, "청동 조각의 파티네이션-파티나의 해석과 보존의 문제에 관하여". 국립현대미술관연구논문, 1, p51-60, (2009).
- 주민수, 고문성, 박광헌, "드라이아이스 눈 입자를 이용한 표면세척 연구". 2005년 한국표면공학회 학술대회 발표집, p145-146, (2006).
- Scott, D.A. "Iron and steel in art". Corrosion, Colorante, Conservation". Artchetype Publications Ltd., (2009).
- Spur G., Uhlmann E., Elbing F., "Dry ice blasting for Cleaning Process, Optimization and application". Wear, p233-235, 402-411, (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(99)00204-5
- Jeffery Lapointe, "Sand less sandblasting". Pollustion engineering, 36, p16, (2004).
- 국립문화재연구소, "보존처리, 과거로 가는 새로운 길을 이야기하다". 문화재 보존처리 워크숍 논문집, p60-61, (2011).
- 이주완, 함철희, 김사덕, 이찬희, "습포제를 이용한 석조문화재의 페인트 오염물 제거기법 연구". 보존과학회지, 25, p421-430, (2009).
- Roy S. Berns, "색채학 원론 ". 시그마프레스, 한국, p80, (2003).
- A Study on the Eco-Friendly Durable Pre-Painting for Concrete Structure vol.17, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.11112/jksmi.2013.17.2.110
- Removal of Contaminants Deposited on Surfaces of Matrices by Using Low-Temperature Argon Plasma Treatment vol.30, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12654/JCS.2014.30.3.05