- Volume 1 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Mechanical Characteristics and Antibiosis of Sized Fabrics with Bletilla striata
- Baek, Young Mee (Korean Traditional Costume Research Institute in Pusan National University)
- Received : 2012.10.05
- Accepted : 2012.11.29
- Published : 2012.01.31
Bletilla striata is an important herb that is used as a paste for texture processing, an ingredient in incense and an additive for preserving calligraphic works and paintings. This study evaluated Bletilla striata, which has been used to preserve and manage the textiles and paper. In particular, this study examined the viscosity of a paste made from Bletilla striata, as well as the mechanical characteristics and antibiotic properties of the fabrics treated with the herb. In terms of viscosity, Bletilla striata paste was less sticky than wheat flour paste, meaning that the former can be applied more evenly to sized fabrics. In addition, Bletilla striata paste has high transparence, ensuring little color difference between the fabrics treated and not treated with the paste. Regarding the mechanical characteristics of the fabrics processed using the KES-FB System, the sized fabrics treated with Bletilla striata paste showed a higher flexibility and recovery rate and than those treated with the wheat flour paste, indicating that the former paste can be more effective in making fabrics maintain their original form and shape. Finally, silk fabrics treated with Bletilla striata showed very high antibiosis. This suggests that the paste can be used to develop antibiotic substances that can preserve textiles.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Korea Pharmacognosy Professor Association, 1994, Herbal medicine. The Korean Pharmaceutical Association, p.490.
- Baek, Y.M., 2009, A Study on the Literature of Chinese Herbs as Materials of Paste for Jangwhang. Hanguk Minjok Munhwa, 33, 468-469.
- AATCC, 2005, American Association for Textile Chemists and Colourists Test Method 100-2004. Antibacterial Finishes on Textile Materials, AATCC, p.149-151.
- Lee, D.J., 1968, Bactericidal action of D-mannose solution. Modern Medical Science, 9(4), 523-526.
- Lee, J.W., Kim, H.Y., Thomas, W.J. and Choi, I.G., 2010, Bioethanol Production Using By-product of VPP (Value Prior to Pulping). The Korean Society of Wood Science Technology, 38(6), 561-567. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2010.38.6.561
- Lee, Y.H., 2008, Physical Properties of the Traditional Paste on Natural Adhesives. Traditional Science Technology Application and Development, Report 2008-3, National Science Museum, Daejeon, p.61-64.
- Oh, J.S., 2008, Anti-inflammatory effects of Bletilla striata (THUNB.) REICHB. fil. extract and fractions. Ph.D. thesis, Kyunghee University, Seoul.
- Park, J.H. and Seong, S.H., 2007, Core Medical Plants. Sinil Books, p.335.
- Kovacs, A., Vasas, A. and Hohmann, J., 2008, Natural phenanthrenes and their biological activity. PHYTOCHEMISTRY, 69, 1084-1110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytochem.2007.12.005
- Toh, C.A., 1994, Pharmacognostical Studies on Orchidaceae Plants. Korean Journal of Pharmacognostics, 25(3), 293-304.
- Yamaki, M., Bai, L., Inoue, K. and Takagi, S., 1989, Biphenanthrenes from Bletilla strata. PHYTOCHEMISTRY, 28, 3503-3505. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(89)80373-5
- Yoon, H.J., Yoon, J.W., Yoon, S.W., Ko, W.S. and Woo, W.H., 2003, Inhibitory Effect on Melanogenesis of Rhizoma Bletillae. The Journal of Oriental Medical Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology, 16(1), 100-111.
- Park, K.D., Kwon, S.Y., Yang, H.T., Kim, J.S. and Cho, N.C., 2009, Biochemistry. Kwangmunkak, p.43.