- Volume 3 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on Structural Performance of Two Seam Cold-Formed Square CFT Column to Beam Connections with Internal Diaphragm
2-Seam 냉간성형 각형 CFT 기둥-보 내다이아프램 접합부의 구조성능에 관한 연구
- Oh, Heon-Keun (Department of Architectural Engineering,University of Seoul) ;
- Kim, Sun-Hee (Department of Architectural Engineering,University of Seoul) ;
- Choi, Young-Hwan (SAMSUNG C&T Corporation) ;
- Choi, Sung-Mo (Department of Architectural Engineering,University of Seoul)
- Received : 2012.06.12
- Accepted : 2012.08.12
- Published : 2013.03.19
The construction of a moment connection for a rectangular hollow section (RHS) column and a H-shaped beam is difficult because the RHS is a closed section. When a inner diaphragm is used for such a connection, in general, it is installed after cutting the HSS columns, which results in increased construction work. This paper suggests a new fabrication method to overcome such problems: An inner diaphragm is welded to inside a C-shaped section first, and then a column is fabricated by welding two C-shaped sections. This fabrication method is superior to a classic method in terms of constructibility. An experimental and a numerical study using Ansys 9.0 were performed in order to compare the strength of connections with respect to the presence of concrete, the corner shape of diaphragm, and the axis of loading. The experimental results including initial stiffness and ultimate loads are reported and the analytical results including load transfer mechanism, degree of stress concentration, and strain distribution are also reported.
- AISC, (1999) Manual of Steel Construction, AISC, Chicago, USA
- AISC, (2005) Steel Construction Manual, Chicago, USA
- ANSYS INC, (2005) ANSYS Release 9.0-User's Manual, 2005
- Daniel P. Batt, P. E., M. ASCE and David J. Odeh, P.E., M. ASCE, 2005, A discussion and analysis of ductile detailing requirements for seismic design in moderate seismic regions, Proceeding of Structures 2005.
- Oguejiofor, E. C. and Hosain, M. U. (1997), "Numerical Analysis of Push-out Specimens with Perfobond Rib Connectors" Comp. & Struct., Volume 62, Issue 4, Pages 617-624 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(96)00270-2
- Eurocode Committee for Standardization, Eurocode 8 Draft 6 : Design of structures for earthquake resistance. Part 1 : General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings, 2003. 1.
- FEMA 350(2000), Recommended Seismic Design Criteria for New Steel Moment-Frame Buildings, Federal Emergency Management Agency
- SAC Joint Venture (2000) Interim Guidelines Advisory No. 2, Evaluation, Repair Modification and Design of Steel moment Frames, FEMA 267b
- Hong, S. D., Kim, Y. S., Kim, J. H. and Choi, S. M. (2002), "Simple Tension Testing for CFT Column-to.(b)eam Connections at Tension Side with New Diaphragm." Internatoinal Symposium on Steel Structure, Second Symposium, Korea Society of Steel Struct.
- Choi, S. M., Hong, S. D., Kim, D. G. and Kim, J. H. (2004), Structural Capacities of Tension Side for CFT Square Column-to.(b)eam Connections with Combined-Cross-Diaphragm, PSSC
- Structural Stability and Research Council task Group 20., 1979, A Specification for the Design of Steel-Concrete Composite Columns, Eng. J., Fourth quarter, 101-115.