- Volume 45 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Inclusion of Spirulina, Astaxanthin, Canthaxanthin or Paprika on the Skin Pigmentation of Red- and White-colored Fancy Carp Cyprinus carpio var. koi
Spirulina, Astaxanthin, Canthaxanthin 및 Paprika 함유 사료가 비단 잉어(Cyprinus carpio var. koi) 홍백 치어의 체색에 미치는 영향
Kim, Yi-Oh;Lee, Sang-Min
- Received : 2011.11.30
- Accepted : 2012.02.10
- Published : 2012.02.29
A feeding trial was conducted to investigate the effects of dietary carotenoid source and level on growth and skin color of red- and white-colored fancy carp Cyprinus carpio var. koi. Nine experimental diets (designated as CON, SP5, SP10, AS50, AS100, CA50, CA100, PA5 and PA10) were formulated to contain 5-10% Spirulina powder, 5-10% paprika powder, 50-100 ppm astaxanthin and 50-100 ppm canthaxanthin. The CON diet without supplementation of carotenoid source was considered as the control diet. Each experimental diet was fed to three replicate groups of fish (3.6 g/fish) to visual satiation three times a day for 8 weeks. Survival, growth and feed efficiency of fish were not significantly affected by dietary inclusion of carotenoid source and level (P>0.05). After 8 weeks feeding period, the values of
Red- and white-colored fancy carp;Paprika;Astaxanthin;Canthaxanthin;Pigmentation
- Amar EC, Kiron V, Satoh S and Watanabe T. 2001.Influence of various dietary synthetic carotenoids on bio-defence mechanism in rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum). Aquac Res 32, 192-163.
- AOAC (Association of Official Analytical Chemists). 1995. Official Methods of Analysis, 16th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Becker EW and Venkataraman LV. 1984. Production and utilization of blue-green alga, Spirulina in India. Biomass 4, 105-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/0144-4565(84)90060-X
- Chapman F, Fitzcoy S, Thunberg E and Adams C. 1997. United States of American trade in ornamental fish. J World Aquacult Soc 28, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-7345.1997.tb00955.x
- Chien YH and Shiau WC. 2005. The effects of deitary supplementation of algae and synthetic astaxanthin on body astaxanthin, survival, growth, and low dissolved oxygen stress resistance of kuruma prawn, Marsuoenaeus japonicus Bate. J Exp Mar Biol Ecol 318, 201-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2004.12.016
- Deli JP, Molnar Z and Toth G. 2001.Carotenoid composition in the fruit of red paprika (Capsicum annuum var. lycopersiciforme rubrum) during ripening; Biosynthesis of carotenoids in red paprika. J Agric Food Chem 49, 1517- 1523. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000958d
- Duncan DB. 1955. Multiple-range and multiple F tests. Biometrics 11, 1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Gomes E, Dias J, Silva P, Valente L, Empis J, Gouveia JB and Young A. 2002. Utilization of natural and synthetic sources of carotenoids in the skin pigmentation of gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata). Eur Food Res Technol 214, 287-293. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-001-0475-9
- Goodwin TW. 1984. The Biolochemistry of the carotenoids vol. I Animals (2nd. ed.), Chapman & Hall, London, 244.
- Gouveia L, Rema P, Pereira O and Empis J. 2003. Colouring ornamental fish (Cyprinus carpio and Carassiusau ratus) with microalgal biomass. Aquacult Nutr 9, 123-129. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2095.2003.00233.x
- Gouveia L and Rema P. 2005. Effect of microalgal concentration and temperature on ornamental goldfish (Carassi usau ratus) skin pigmentation. Aquacult Nutr 11, 19-23. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2095.2004.00319.x
- Guillaume J, Kaushik S, Bergot P and Metailler R. 2001. Nutrition and feeding of fish and crustaceans. Springer Verlag, 183-196.
- Hancz C, Magyary I, Molnar T, Sato S, Horn P and Taniguchi N. 2003. Evaluation of color intensity enhanced by paprika as feed additive in goldfish and koi carp using computer-assisted image analysis. Fish Sci 69, 1158-1161. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0919-9268.2003.00740.x
- Kalinowski CT, Robaina LE, Fernandez-Palacios H, Schuchardt D and Izquierdo MS. 2005. Effect of different carotenoid sources and their dietary levels on the red porgy (Pagrus pagrus) growth and skin colour. Aquaculture 244, 223-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2004.11.001
- Katayama T, Shintani K and Chichester CO. 1973. The biosynthesis of astaxanthin. Comp Biochem Physiol 448, 253-257.
- Kim SR, Lee CR and Lee SM. 2006. Effects of dietary supplementation of paprika and Spirulina on pigmentation of swiri Coreoleuciscus splendidus. J Aquacult 19, 261-266.
- Kim YO, Jo JY and Oh SY. 2008. Effects of dietary Spirulina, chlorella and astaxanthin on the body color of red- and white-colored carp, Cyprinus carpio. J Kor Fish Soc 41, 193-200.
- Lee CR and Lee SM. 2008. Effect of dietary supplementation of pigment sources on pigmentation of the round tailed paradise fish Macropodus chinensis and pale chub Zacco platypus. J Aquacult 21, 213-217.
- Lee CR. Bae KM and Lee SM. 2009. Effect of paprika and zooplankton supplementation in the diets on carotenoid deposition and skin pigmentation of the rose bitterling Rhodeus ocellatus. J Aquacult 22, 100-104.
- Lee CR, Pham MA and Lee SM. 2010. Effects of dietary paprika and lipid levels on growth and skin pigmentation of pale chub (Zacco platypus). Asian-Aust J Anim Sci 23, 724-732. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90462
- Matsuno T, Nagata S, Iwahashi M, Koike T and Okada M. 1979. Intensification of color of fancy red carp with zeaxanthin and myxoxanthophyll, major carotenoid constitute of spirulina. Bull Jap Soc Sci Fish 45, 627-632. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.45.627
- Nandeesha MC, Gangadhara B, Varghese TJ and Keshavanath P. 1998. Effect of feeding Spirulina platensis on the growth, proximate composition and organoleptic quality of common carp, Cyprinus carpio L. Aquac Res 29, 305- 312. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2109.1998.tb01135.x
- Nandeesha MC, Gangadhara B, Manissery JK and Venkataraman LV. 2001. Growth performance of two Indian major carp, catla (Catla catla) and rohu (Labeo rohita) fed diets containing different levels of Spirulina platensis. Bioresour Tech 80, 117-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(01)00085-2
- No HK and Storebakken T. 1991. Pigmentation of rainbow trout with astaxanthin at different water temperatures. Aquaculture 97, 203-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(91)90265-9
- Paripatanamont T, Tangtrongpairoj J, Sailasuta A and Chansue NK. 1999. Effect of astaxanthin on the pigmentation of goldfish Carassius auratus. J World Aquacult Soc 30, 454-460. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-7345.1999.tb00993.x
- Rehulka J. 2000. Influence of astaxanthin on growth rate, condition, and some blood indices of rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Aquaculture 190, 27-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0044-8486(00)00383-5
- Segner H, Arend P, Poeppinghaussen KV and Schmidt H. 1989. The effect of feedingastaxanthin to Oreochromis niloticus and Colisa labiosaon thehistology of the liver. Aquaculture 79, 381-390. https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(89)90480-8
- Skrede G. 1987. Rapid analysis in food processing and food control. In: Proceedings of the Fourth European Confererce on Food Chemistry, 1-4.
- Tejera N, Cejas JR, Rodriguez C, Bjerkeng B, JerezS, Balanos A and Lorenzo A. 2007. Pigmentation, carotenoid, lipid peroxides and lipid composition of skin of red porgy (Pagrus pagrus) fed diets supplemented with different astaxanthin sources. Aquaculture 270, 218-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2007.01.019
- Tsushima M, Nemoto H and Matsuno T. 1999. The accumulation of figments from paprika and other souces in the integument of gold fish Carassius auratus, Fish Sci 64, 656-657.
- Wang YJ, Chien YH and Pan CH. 2006. Effects of dietary supplementation of carotenoids on survival; growth, pigmentation and antioxidant capacity of characins, Hyphessobrycon callistus. Aquaculture 261, 641-648. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2006.08.040
- White DA, Moody AJ, Servata RD, Bowen J, Soutar C, Young AJ and Davies SJ. 2003. The degree of carotenoid esterification influences the absorption ofastaxanthin in rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum). Aqua cult Nutr 9, 247-251. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2095.2003.00250.x
- Effects of Dietary Lipid and Paprika Levels on Growth and Skin Pigmentation of Red- and White-colored Fancy Carp Cyprinus carpio var. koi vol.45, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2012.0337
- Effect of Dietary Carotenoids Sources on Growth and Skin Color of Red- and White-colored Fancy Carp Cyprinus carpio var. koi vol.47, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0790
- Scientific opinion on the safety and efficacy of canthaxanthin as a feed additive for poultry and for ornamental birds and ornamental fish vol.12, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.2903/j.efsa.2014.3527
Supported by : 농림수산식품부