- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Toughening of PLA stereocomplex by Impact modifiers
충격보강제에 의한 PLA stereocomplex의 강인화 연구
- Nam, Byeong-Uk (Department of Applied Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Lee, Bum-Suk (Department of Applied Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education)
- Received : 2011.12.02
- Accepted : 2012.02.10
- Published : 2012.02.29
We tried to blend PLLA and PDLA at overall compositions to form PLA stereocomplexes (SC). The presence of the SC crystalline phase in the PLLA matrix was verified by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). As a result, a various PDLA composition of the PLA SC blends can influence PLA SC formation. And the largest amount of PLA SC crystallites was formed when PLLA/PDLA ratio is 50/50. In addition, we have tried to do PLA SC toughening with two impact modifiers in 92/8, 85/15 ratio of PLLA/PDLA to enhance the mechanical properties such as impact strength. Thermal and mechanical properties of PLA SC were investigated by DSC, HDT, Izod impact tester and UTM. PLA SC formation decreased when 10-20 wt% of Strong120 (impact modifier) was added. On the other hand, there is no effect on PLA SC formation when 10-20% of Elvaloy (impact modifier) was added. HDT values dramatically increased over
- K. Madhavan Nampoothiri, et al., "An overview of the recent developments in polylactide (PLA) research", Bioresource Technology, 101, pp.8493-8501, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.05.092
- B. Y. shin, et al., "Effects of Irradiation of Electron Beam on the Rheological Properties of PLA and Chemically Modified PLA", Polymer(Korea), 31, 3, pp.269-272, 2007.
- M. B. Coltelli, et al., "The effect of free radical reactions on structure and properties of PLA based blends", Polymer Degradation and Stability, 95, pp.332-341, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2009.11.015
- Y. Ikada, et al., "Stereocomples formation between enantiomeric poly(lactides), Macromolecules, 20, pp.904-906, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1021/ma00170a034
- J. R. Murdock, et al., US patent 4 719 246, 1988.
- J. R. Murdock, et al., US Patent 4 766 182, 1988.
- J. R. Murdock, et al., US Patent 4 800 219, 1989.
- Y. Fan, et al., "Thermal degradation behaviour of poly(lactic acid) stereocomplex", Polymer Degradation and Stability, 86, pp.197-208, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2004.03.001
- Y. He, et al, "Unique crystallization behavior of poly(L-lactide) / poly(D-lactide) stereocomplex depending on initial melt states", Polymer, 49, pp.5670-5675, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2008.10.028
J. Zhang, et al., "Difference in the
$CH_3$…O=C interactions among poly(L-lactide), poly(L-lactide)/ poly(D-lactide) stereocomplex, and poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) studied by infrared spectroscopy", Journal of Molecular Structure, 735-736, pp.249-257, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molstruc.2004.11.033
- K. S. Anderson, et al., "Melt preparation and nucleation efficiency of polylactide stereocomplex crystallites", Polymer, 47, pp.2030-2035, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2006.01.062
- K. Fukushima, et al., "Enhanced Stereocomplex Formation of Poly(L-lactide) in the Presence of Stereoblock Poly(lacticacid)", Macromolecular bioscience, 7, pp.829-835, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1002/mabi.200700028
- H. Tsuji. "In vitro hydrolysis of blends from enantiomeric poly(lactide)s. Part 4 :well-homo-crystallized blend and nonblended films", Biomaterials, 24, pp.537-547, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-9612(02)00365-4
- S. Li, et al., "Synthesis, Characterization, and Stereocomplex induced Gelation of Block Copolymers Prepared by Ring-opening Polymerization of L(D)-Lactide in the presence of Poly(ethylene glycol)", Macromolecules, 36, pp.8008-8014, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1021/ma034734i
- K. Vahik, et al., "Crystallization Behavior of Poly (L-lactic acid) Nanocomposites: Nucleation and Growth Probed by Infrared Spectroscopy", Macromolecules, 38, pp.6520-6527, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1021/ma050739z
- H. Tsuji, "Poly(lactide) stereocomplexs: Structure, Properties, Degradation, and Applications", Macromolecular Bioscience, 5, pp.569-597, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/mabi.200500062
- H. Tsuji, et al, "Stereocomplex formation between enantiomeric poly(lactic acid)s. XI. mechanical properties and morphology of solution-cast films", Polymer, 40, pp.6699-6708, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-3861(99)00004-X
- Tuning the compatibility to achieve toughened biobased poly(lactic acid)/poly(butylene terephthalate) blends vol.8, pp.49, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1039/C8RA05161E