- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Exploring User Perceived Usability Characteristics of Applications on Smart Phones: A Grounded Theory Analysis of User Reviews
사용자 관점에서 본 스마트폰 애플리케이션의 특성에 관한 연구
- Received : 2012.01.09
- Accepted : 2012.02.10
- Published : 2012.02.29
The market penetration of the smart phones has brought significant changes to the related industries. As the mobile phone market as well as the smart phone application market are growing rapidly, competition among small-size application developers has become severe. However, due to the severe competition and expensive market entry costs, the developers argue that it is necessary to develope the applications from the perspective of the users. However, studies on application development from the users' perspectives are still in the early stages and they have not provided various approaches. Therefore, based on the Open Coding method of Ground Theory, this study collected data on applications review from related communities and blogs of Korean web portal sites, and identified indices which users consider important when they use the applications. In addition, we conduct a comparative analysis between those indices by calculating their frequency of exposure. As a result, a total of 30 sub-categories of indicators such as amusement, controllability, versatility and ease of use appeared to be predominant to users and those lower categories were grouped into five categories; sensibility, design, technology, price, and social skills. The results of this study suggest to the application developers the guidelines of user oriented design and development. It can be used to develop the evaluation tool for application usability.
Mobile Application;Grounded Theory;Open Coding;Online Review;Usability;Usability Test
- Bayus, B.L., "Word of Mouth: The Indirect Effects of Marketing Efforts", Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 25, No. 3. 1985, pp. 31-39.
- Bickart, B., and R.M. Schindler, "Internet Forums as Influential Sources of Consumer Information", Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol. 15, No. 3, 2001, pp. 31-40. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.1014
- Bristor, J.M., "Enhanced Explanations of Word of Mouth Communications: The Power of Relationships", Research in Consumer Behavior, Vol. 4, No. 1, 1990, pp. 51-83.
- Cha, S.M., S.Y. Shin, and I.S. Yang, "Research Article: Developing Restaurant Information Word-of-Mouth Communication Paradigm Model Using Grounded Theory Approach", Journal of the Tourism Sciences Society of Korea, Vol. 31, No. 4, 2007, pp. 115-134.
- Chatterjee, P., "Online Reviews: Do Consumers Use Them?", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 28, 2001, pp. 129-133.
- Cho, H.H., Usability factors of the Mobile Application Interface for News Service, Graduate School of Ewha Wamans University: Seoul, 2010.
- Cho, Y.J., and J. Choi, "A Study on the Effects of Perceived Characteristics on Continuous Usage Intention in Smartphone Application", Journal of Korea Society of IT Services, Vol. 10, No. 2, 2011, pp. 41-60. https://doi.org/10.9716/KITS.2011.10.2.041
- Chevalier, J.A., and D. Mayzlin, "The Effect of Word of Mouth on Sales: Online Book Reviews", National Bureau of Economic Research Cambridge, Mass., USA, 2003.
- Cooke, L., "Information Acceleration and Visual Trends in Print, Television, and Web News Sources", Technical Communication Quarterly, Vol. 12, No. 2, 2003, pp. 155-182. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15427625tcq1202_2
- DeLorme, D.E., and L.N. Reid, "Moviegoers' Experiences and Interpretations of Brands in Films Revisited", Journal of Advertising, 1999, pp. 71-95.
- DIGIECO, New Economy though Mobile Application, 2010.
- Forrest Research, "Mobile App Internet Recasts The Software And Services Landscape", Feb. 2011.
- Gartner, "Forecast: Mobile Application Stores, Worldwide, 2008-2014", Jan. 2011.
- Gelb, B., and M. Johnson, "Word-of-mouth Communication: Causes and Consequences", Journal of Health Care Marketing, Vol. 15, No. 3, 1995, pp. 54.
- Glaser, B., and A. Strauss, "The Discovery of Grounded Research: Strategies for Qualitative Research", Chicago: Aldine, 1967.
- Han, P.K., J.S. Park, B.H. Jun, and B.G. Kang, "A Study on the Factors of Mobile Applications Adoption", Journal of the Korea Society of IT Services, Vol. 9, No. 3, 2010, pp. 65-82.
- Harrison-Walker, L.J., "The Measurement of Word-of-mouth Communication and an Investigation of Service Quality and Customer Commitment as Potential Antecedents", Journal of Service Research, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2001, pp. 60. https://doi.org/10.1177/109467050141006
- Hennig-Thurau, T., and G. Walsh, "Electronic Word-of-mouth: Motives for and Consequences of Reading Customer Articulations on the Internet", International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2003, pp. 51-74.
- Hijmans, E., and V. Peters, "Grounded Theory in Media Research and the Use of the Computer", Communications, Vol. 25, No. 4, 2000, pp. 407-432. https://doi.org/10.1515/comm.2000.25.4.407
- Hirschman, E.C., and C.J. Thompson, "Why Media Matter: Toward a Richer Understanding of Consumers' Relationships with Advertising and Mass Media", Journal of Advertising, 1997, pp. 43-60.
- Hong, S.M., "Difference in Acceptance of Mobile Applications between Countries focused on Comparison of iPhone Applications in Korea and US", Department of Interaction Design, Hongik University Graduate School: Seoul, 2011.
- Jang, J.R., Lee, H.J., Lee, J.H., Kim, T.W., and Kim, S.D., "Design of Application for Exchanging Mobile Business Cards", Proceeding of the Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers, Vol. 37, No. 2C, 2010, pp. 103-108.
- Kim, H.Y., and J.W. Kim, "An Empirical Research on Important Factors of Mobile Internet Usage", Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 12, No. 3, 2002, pp. 89-113.
- Kim, H,W, "A Study on Development of Smartphone Mobile Application for Word-of-Mouth Marketing in Low-Budget Independent Film", Proceeding of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Spring 2011, pp. 540-543.
- Kim, J.A., A Study on Validity of Portal Site Usability Testing, Graduate School of Ewha Wamans University: Seoul, 2006.
- Kim, J.Y., H.H. Lee, and J.W. Lee, "A Grounded Theory Analysis of Information Systems Success in Small and Medium Enterprises", Journal of the Korean Association of Small Business Studies, Vol. 26, No. 4, 2004, pp. 25-53.
- Komives, S.R., "Developing a Leadership Identity: A Grounded Theory", Journal of College Student Development, Vol. 46, No. 6, 2005, pp. 593. https://doi.org/10.1353/csd.2005.0061
- Korea Communications Commission, Report on Smart Phone Utilization, 2010.
- Lee, DW, Citizen Application Apptizen, 21C Books, 2010.
- Lee, H.R., and H.W. Kim, "Study on the Purchase of Smartphone Application", Proceeding of Korean Society for Internet Information, 2010, pp. 160-165.
- Lee, H.S., and D. Lyi, "A Study on the Effects of Online Postscript as Word-of-Mouth", Journal of Korea Academic Society for Public Relations, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2004, pp. 234-268.
- Lee, K.H., "A Study on Application Design for Brand Image Innovation", Journal of Korean Society of Design Science, Vol. 21, No. 4, 2008, pp. 97-106.
- Lee, S.S., "Library Service Users' Information Seeking Behavior Model Based on the Grounded Theory Methodology", Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, Vol. 44, No. 1, 2000, pp. 5-28.
- Levin, I.P., and G.J. Gaeth, "How Consumers are Affected by the Framing of Attribute Information before and after Consuming the Product", Journal of Consumer Research, 1988, pp. 374-378.
- Magnusson, P.R., Customer-oriented Product Development: Experiments Involving Users in Service Innovation, Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics [Ekonomiska Forsknings Institutet Vid Handelshogsk.] (EFI), 2003.
- Neelamegham, R., and D. Jain, "Consumer Choice Process for Experience Goods: An Econometric Model and Analysis", Journal of Marketing Research, 1999, pp. 373-386.
- Palka, W., "Mobile Word-of-mouth - A Grounded Theory of Mobile Viral Marketing", Journal of Information Technology, Vol. 24, No. 2, 2009, pp. 172-185. https://doi.org/10.1057/jit.2008.37
- Park, J.S., P.K. Hahn, and B.G. Kang, "Service Acceptance of Moble Application (Appstore)", Proceeding of Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, 2009, pp. 160-164.
- Park, S.H., H.J. Byeon, and K.S. Moon, "Development of School Promotional Application Using iPhone Based", Proceeding of KSCI, Vol. 18, No. 2, 2010, pp. 519-520,
- Park, Y.C. and M.K. Lee, "Functional Integration for Successful Design and Marketing of New Products: A Grounded Theory Approach", The Korea Design Forum, Vol. 19, 2008, pp. 155-168.
- Pyo, S.B., M.K. Kim, and D.W. Park, "A Study on Smart Phone GPS Traceback Application of Current Location", Proceeding of the Korea Society of Computer Information, 2011, pp. 79-82.
- Reichert, T., and A. Ramirez, "Defining Sexually Oriented Appeals in Advertising: A Grounded Theory Investigation", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 27, No. 1, 2000, pp. 267-273. https://doi.org/10.1086/314324
- Schindler, R.M., and B. Bickart, "Special Session Summary Expanding the Scope of Word of Mouth: Consumer-to-consumer Information on the Internet", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 29, 2002, pp. 428-430.
- Sheth, J.N., "Word-of-mouth in Low-risk Innovations", Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 11, No. 3, 1971, pp. 15-18.
- Song, J.K., Y. Park, and S.J. Shin, "Explaining the Role of User Satisfaction in Mobile Application Store", Proceeding of Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, 2010, pp. 234-241.
- Song Y.T., "The Effect of Technical Newness and Design Newness to Consumer Adoption Process in New Product Communication Context", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 12, No. 2, 2011, pp. 675-685. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.2.675
- Stanney, K., and M. Mollaghasemi, "A Composite Measure of Usability for Human-computer Interface Designs", Advances in Human Factors/Ergonomics, Vol. 20, 1995, pp. 387-392. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-2647(06)80247-9
- Strauss, A., and J.M. Corbin, Basics of Qualitative Research: Grounded Theory Procedures and Techniques, Sage Publications, Inc, 1990.
- Strauss, A. and ,J.M. Corbin, Grounded Theory: Grundlagen Qualitativer Sozialforschung, Beltz, Psychologie Verlags Union, 1996.
- Strauss, A.L., and J.M. Corbin, Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory, Sage Publications, Inc, 1998.
- Ughetti, M., "Development of Agent-based, Peer-to-peer Mobile Applications on ANDROID with JADE", IEEE, 2008.
- Um, I.Y., and J.C. Park, "A Study on Mobile Application Open-market Acceptance", Proceeding of Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, 2009, pp. 146-151.
- Yang, H.J., and Lee, J.R., "A Study on the Analysis of the GUI Design Used in the Smartphone Ba soef the Applications", Journal of Korean Society of Design & Art, Vol. 14, No. 2, 2011, pp. 107-116.
- Yoon, Y.B., K.C. Park, S.M. Ahn, J.Y. Lee, and B.G. Lee, "Study on the Effects of Perceived Riskness on Smartphone Application Acceptance", Proceeding of Korean Society for Internet Information, 2011, pp. 291-292.
- Whyte Jr, W.H., "The Web of Word of Mouth", Fortune, Vol. 50, 1954, pp. 140-143.
- Wilkie, W., Consumer Behavior, (3rd ed.), John Wiley and Sons, NY, 1994.
- An Empirical Study on the Differences of Relationship between Content Quality Factors and User Satisfaction on Mobile Contents Based on User Characteristics vol.14, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1957
Supported by : 정보통신산업진흥원