- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Preliminary Study of Performance Evaluation of a Dual-mode Compton Camera by Using Geant4
Geant4 몬테칼로 전산모사 툴킷을 이용한 이중모드 컴프턴 카메라 최적화 설계 및 성능평가
- Park, Jin Hyung (Department of Nuclear Engineering Hanyang University) ;
- Seo, Hee (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Seoung Hoon (Department of Radiation Oncology Hanyang University Hospital) ;
- Kim, Young Soo (Department of Nuclear Engineering Hanyang University) ;
- Kim, Chan Hyeong (Department of Nuclear Engineering Hanyang University)
- Received : 2012.08.17
- Accepted : 2012.12.05
- Published : 2012.12.31
A double-scattering type Compton camera which is appropriate to imaging a high-energy gamma source has been developed for nuclear material surveillance at Hanyang University. The double-scattering type Compton camera can provide high imaging resolution; however, it has disadvantage of relatively low imaging sensitivity than existing single-scattering type Compton camera. In this study, we introduce a novel concept of a dual-mode Compton camera which incorporates two different types of Compton camera, i.e., single- and double-scattering type. The dual-mode Compton camera can operate high-resolution mode and high-sensitivity mode in a single system. To maximize its performance, the geometrical configuration was optimized by using Geant4 Monte Carlo simulation toolkit. In terms of imaging sensitivity, high-sensitivity mode had higher sensitivity than high-resolution mode up to 100 times while high imaging resolution of the double-scattering Compton camera was maintained.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Seo H, Kim CH, Park JH, Kim JK, Lee JH, Lee CS, Lee JS. Development of double-scattering-type Compton camera with double-sided silicon strip detectors and NaI(Tl) scintillation detector. Nucl. Instr. and Meth. A 2010;615:333-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nima.2010.02.060
- Agostinelli S, Allison J, Amako K, et al. GEANT4-a simulation toolkit. Nucl. Instr. and Meth. A 2003; 560:250-303.
- Allison J, Amako K, Apostolakis J, et al. Geant4 developments and applications. IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 2006;53:270-278. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2006.869826
- Yang YF, Gono Y, Motomura S, Enomoto S, Yano Y. A Compton camera for multitracer imaging. IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 2001;48:656-661. https://doi.org/10.1109/23.940142
- Wilderman SJ, Fessler JA, Clinthorne JA, et al. Improved modeling of system response in list mode EM reconstruction of compton scatter camera images. IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 2001;48:111-116. https://doi.org/10.1109/23.910840
- 서희, 박진형, 김찬형, 이주한, 이춘식, 이재성. 이중산 란형 컴프턴 카메라 구성 검출기 성능평가. 방사선방어학회지 2010;35:69-76.
- Short course lecture note. Nuclear science for homeland security. 2007 IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference.
- Development of Compton imaging system for nuclear material monitoring at pyroprocessing test-bed facility vol.53, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/00223131.2016.1199333