- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
External Exposure Due to Natural Radionuclides in Building Materials in Korean Dwellings
건축자재내 포함된 천연방사성핵종에 의한 실내 공간의 방사선량 평가
- Cho, Yoon Hae (University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Chang Jong (University of Science and Technology) ;
- Yun, Ju Yong (University of Science and Technology) ;
- Cho, Dae-Hyung (Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety) ;
- Kim, Kwang Pyo (Department of Nuclear Engineering Kyung Hee University)
- 조윤해 (과학기술연합대학원대학교) ;
- 김창종 (과학기술연합대학원대학교) ;
- 윤주용 (과학기술연합대학원대학교) ;
- 조대형 (한국원자력안전기술원) ;
- 김광표 (경희대학교 원자력공학과)
- Received : 2012.11.13
- Accepted : 2012.12.10
- Published : 2012.12.31
Naturally occurring radioactive materials (NORM) in building materials are main sources of external radiation exposure to the general public. The objective of this study was to assess external radiation dose in Korean dwellings due to NORM in concrete walls. Reference room model for dose assessment was made by analyzing room structure and housing scale of Korean dwellings. In addition, dose assessments were made for varying room sizes. Absorbed doses to air and effective dose rates were calculated using radiation transport code MCNPX. Assuming a reference room of
Supported by : 교육과학기술부
- United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation. Sources and effects of ionizing radiation. Vol. I Sources. 2000.
- United Nations Scientific Committee on Effects of Atomic Radiation. Sources and effects of ionizing radiation. UNSCEAR 2008 Report to the General Assembly with Scientific Annexes. Volume I. 2010.
- Risica S, Bolzan C, Nuccetelli C. Radioactivity in building materials: room model analysis and experimental methods. Sci. Total Environ. 2001; 272:119-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(01)00675-1
- Allam KA. New model for dwelling dose calculation using monte carlo integration. Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 2009;133:153-157. https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/ncp026
- Maduar MF, Hiromoto G. Evaluation of indoor gamma radiation dose in dwellings. Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 2004;111:221-228. https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/nch329
- Al-Jundi J, Ulanovsky A, Prohl G. Doses of external exposure in Jordan house due to gamma-emitting natural radionuclides in building materials. J. Environ. Radioact. 2009;100:841-846. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvrad.2009.06.010
- Koblinger, L. Calculation of exposure rates from gamma sources in walls of dwelling rooms. Health Physics. 1978;34:459-463. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004032-197805000-00006
- Moharram BM, Suliman MN, Zahran NF, Shennawy SE, El Sayed AR. External exposure doses due to gamma emitting natural radionuclides in some Egyptian building materials. Appl. Radiat. Isot. 2012;70:241-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apradiso.2011.07.013
- European Commission. Radiation protection principles concerning the natural radioactivity of building materials. Radiation Protection 112. 1999.
- Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority. Radiation dose assessments for materials with elevated natural radioactivity. STUK-B-STO 32. 1995.
- Mustonen, R. Methods for evaluation of radiation from building materials. Rad. Prot. Dosim. 1984;7: 235-238.
- 통계청. 국가통계포털 - 행정구역별 주택현황. 2012.
- 환경부. 한국형 노출지수 개발 및 운영체계 구축. GOVP1200812666. (2007).
- Lee JH, Lee C. Analytical study for the plan of unit household in national housing scale - Oriented on the cases of Korean housing corporation since 2005: Focused on analysing area. Journal of the Korean Institute of Interior Design. 2010;19: 180-189.
- Hubbell JH, Seltzer SM. Tables of x-ray mass attenuation coefficients and mass energyabsorption coefficients from 1 keV to 20 MeV for elements Z=1 to 92 and 48 additional substance. National Institute of Standards and Technology. 2004.
- Al-Sulaiti H, Nasir T, Al Mugren KS, Alkhomashi N, Al-Dahan N, Al-Dosari M, Bradley DA, Bukhari S, Matthews M, Regan PH. Determination of the natural radioactivity levels in north west of Dukhan, Qatar using high-resolution gamma-ray spectrometry. Appl. Radiat. Isot. 2011;70:1344- 1350.
- 한국토지주택공사. 주택분야 건출설계 지침. 2010.
- International Commission on Radiological Protection. The 2007 recommendations of the International Commission on Radiological Protection. ICRP Publication 103. Oxford; Pergamon Press. 2007.
- International Commission on Radiological Protection. Adult reference computational phantoms. ICRP Publication 110. Oxford; Pergamon Press. 2009.
- International Commission on Radiological Protection. Conversion coefficients for radiological protection quantities for external radiation exposures. ICRP Publication 116. Oxford; Pergamon Press. 2010.
- International Commission on Radiological Protection. Conversion coefficients for use in radiological protection against external radiation. ICRP Publication 74. Oxford; Pergamon Press. 1997.
- Lee SC, Kim CK, Lee DM, Kang HD. Natural radionuclides contents and radon exhalation rates in building materials used in South Korea. Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 2001;94:269-274. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.rpd.a006499
- Trevisi R, Risica S, D'Alessandro M, Paradiso D, Nuccetelli C. Natural radioactivity in building materials in the European Union: a database and an estimate of radiological significance. J. Env. Radioact. 2012;105:11-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvrad.2011.10.001
- 한국원자력안전기술원. 우리나라의 방사선 환경. KINS/GR-256. 2009.
- Radioactivity concentration measurement and analysis in construction floor materials of Korea vol.171, pp.5-6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/10420150.2016.1213728
- Analysis of Dose by Items According to Act on Safety Control of Radiation Around Living Environment vol.7, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2013.7.6.377
- Evaluation of Radiation effective dose by Naturally Radionuclides in the Soil of Busan vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3658
- Measuring and analyzing the radioactivity released from construction floor materials vol.172, pp.5-6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/10420150.2017.1343331