- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
PRACTICE SPECIFIC TRAINING FOR APPLICATION OF IONIZING RADIATION IN INDUSTRIES
- Sdagopan, Geetha (Nuclear Training & Education Centre, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Hyunkee (Nuclear Training & Education Centre, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2012.11.08
- Accepted : 2012.12.13
- Published : 2012.12.31
Industrial radiography practice is usually employed in public domain. Over the years there are several radiation accidents reported in this practice. The accidents often result in severe or fatal exposures to occupational workers and public. The number of radiation accidents is also significant when compared with other industrial accidents. This paper describes practice specific training as one of the measures to the improve radiation safety and reduce the accidents. The efforts by International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to disseminate information and to improve the radiation safety status in industrial radiography are also discussed.
- International Commission on Radiological Protection. Recommendations of the International Commission on Radiological Protection. ICRP Publication 60. Oxford; Pergamon Press. 1991.
- International Atomic Energy Agency, Categorization of Radioactive Sources, Safety Guide No. RS-G-1.9, IAEA, Vienna (2005).
- United Nations Scientific Committee on Effects of Atomic Radiation. Sources and effects of ionizing radiation. UNSCEAR 2008 Report to the General Assembly with Scientific Annexes. Volume I. 2010.
- International Atomic Energy Agency. Radiation safety in industrial radiography- specific safety guide No. SSG-11. Vienna Austria. 2011.
- International Atomic Energy Agency. Training courses on radiation protection and safe use of radiation sources. Safety Report Series No.20, IAEA,Vienna 2001.
- Croft J. Radiation protection in industrial applications of radioactive sources- prevention of accidents in gammagraphy. IRPA-12 Refresher Course RC-20.
- Richard VS, John CLH, Gonzague A, Francisco CADS, Razak H, Thomas AL, Matthias P, Kamal S, Christian L. A "road map" and an international database - tools to assist in the implementation of optimization of occupational radiation protection in industrial radiography. 18th World Conference on Non-destructive Testing. 16-20 April 2012. Durban, South Africa.