- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Use of Mouthguard for Prevention of Oral and Maxillofacial Injury
구강악안면영역의 외상방지를 위한 마우스가드의 사용
- Shim, Young-Joo (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral medicine, Wonkwang University Daejeon Dental Hospital. Wonkwang Dental research institute, Wonkwang University) ;
- Kang, Jin-Kyu (Department of Orofacial Pain and Oral medicine, Wonkwang University Daejeon Dental Hospital. Wonkwang Dental research institute, Wonkwang University)
- Received : 2012.11.16
- Published : 2012.12.30
With today's heightened interest in quality of life, leisure and sports activities were popular in the general public. Accordingly, the incidence of oral and maxillofacial injury are also rising. Use of a mouth protector to prevent the trauma of the oral and maxillofacial region is growing in importance, and among the mouth protector the mouthguard is the most commonly used. Mouthguard has been suggested to protect injuries by (1) preventing tooth injuries by absorbing and deflecting blows to the teeth; (2) shielding the lips, tongue, and gingival tissues from laceration; (3) preventing opposing teeth from coming into violent contact; (4) providing the mandible with resilient support, which absorbs an impact that might fracture the unsupported angle or condyle of the mandible; (5) preventing neck and cerebral brain injuries. Although mouthguard is effective for prevention of oral and maxillofacial injury, it is not widespread to athletes or general public and they are lack of awareness about the importance of mouthguard. We present the types and materials of mouthguard, things to consider when mouthguard fabrication, and the usage. This should be helpful in awareness about the importance and popularization of mouthguard.
Mouthguard;mouth protector;oral and maxillofacial injury
Supported by : 원광대학교
- Hickey JC, Morris AL, Carlson LD, Seward TE. The relation of mouth protectors to cranial pressure and deformation. J Am Dent Assoc 1967;74:735-740. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1967.0145
- Wood AW. Head protection-cranial, facial and dental in contact sports. Oral Health 1972;62:23-33.
- Andreasen FM, Daugaard-Jensen J. Treatment of traumatic dental injuries in children. Curr Opin Dent 1991;1:535-550.
- Chapman PJ. Concussion in contact sports and importance of mouthguards in protection. Aust J Sci Med Sport 1985;17:23-27.
- 이윤, 최대균, 권긍록, 이성복, 노관태. 이악물기시 발생 되는 치아변형에 대한 구강보호장치의역할. 구강회복응용과학지 2010:26(4):405-417.
- 노관태, 김일한, 노현식 등. 하악골 충격시 안면 두개골의 응력분산양상에 미치는 구강보호장치의 역할에 관한 유한요소법적 연구. 대한치과보철학회지 2012;50: 1-9.
- American Society for Testing and Materials. Standard practice for care and use of athletic mouth protectors. West Conshohocken (PA): American Society for Testing and Materials. 2000. Technical report no. F697-00
- Knapik JJ, Marshall SW, Lee RB et al. Mouthguards in sport activities: history, physical properties and injury prevention effectiveness. Sports Med 2007;37:117-144. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200737020-00003
- Park JB, Shaull KL, Overton B, Donly KJ. Improving mouth guards. J Prosthet Dent 1994;72(4):373-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(94)90556-8
- Bulsara YR, Matthew IR. Forces transmitted through a laminated mouthguard material with a Sorbothane insert. Endod Dent Traumatol 1998;14:45-47. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.1998.tb00807.x
- Westerman B, Stringfellow PM, Eccleston JA. The effect on energy absorption of hard inserts in laminated EVA mouthguards. Aust Dent J 2000;45:21-23. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.2000.tb00237.x
- McClelland C, Kinirons M, Geary L. A preliminary study of patient comfort associated with customised mouthguards. Br J Sports Med 1999;33:186-189. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.33.3.186
- Maeda Y, Machi H, Tsugawa T. Influences of palatal side design and finishing on the wearability and retention of mouthguards. Br J Sports Med 2006; 40:1006-1008. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2006.030874
- Maeda Y, Yonehata Y, Satoh H. Mouthguard retention: Is design or accuracy of fit more critical? Quintessence Int 2009;40:e13-18.
- Westerman B, Stringfellow PM, Eccleston JA. Forces transmitted through EVA mouthguard materials of different types and thickness. Aust Dent J 1995;40:389-391. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.1995.tb04838.x
- Tran D, Cooke MS, Newsome PR. Laboratory evaluation of mouthguard material. Dent Traumatol 2001;17:260-265. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-9657.2001.170604.x
- Westerman B, Stringfellow PM, Eccleston JA. Beneficial effects of air inclusions on the performance of ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) mouthguard material. Br J Sports Med 2002;36:51-53. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.36.1.51
- Maeda Y, Kumamoto D, Yagi K, Ikebe K. Effectiveness and fabrication of mouthguards. Dent Traumatol 2009;25(6):556-564. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2009.00822.x
- Yamada J, Maeda Y, Satoh H, Miura J. Anterior palatal mouthguard margin location and its effect on shock-absorbing capability. Dent Traumatol 2006;22: 139-144. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2006.00393.x
- 보건복지가족부. 2006 국민구강건강실태조사. 서울, 2007, 보건복지가족부, pp. 102.
- 보건복지가족부. 2010 국민구강건강실태조사. 서울, 2010, 보건복지가족부, pp. 320-339.
- Badel T, Jerolimov V, Panduric J, Carek V. Custommade mouthguards and prevention of orofacial injuries in sports. Acta Med Croatica 2007;61(suppl1): 9-14.
- Eilert-Petersson E, Andersson L, Sorensen S. Traumatic oral vs non-oral injuries. An epidemiological study during one year in a Swedish county. Swed Dent J 1997;21:55-68.
- Gelbier S. Injured anterior teeth in children. British Dental Journal 1967;123:331-335.
- Jarvinen S. On the causes of traumatic dental injuries with special reference to sports accidents in a sample of Finnish children. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica 1980;38:151-154. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016358009004714
- Uji T, Teramoto T. Occurrence of traumatic injuries in the oromaxillary region of children in a Japanese prefecture. Endodontics and Dental Traumatology 1988;4:63-69. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.1988.tb00296.x
- Newsome PR, Tran DC, Cooke MS. The role of the mouthguard in the prevention of sports-related dental injuries: a review. Int J Pediatr Dent 2001;11:396-404. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0960-7439.2001.00304.x
- Walker J, Jakobsen J, Brown S. Attitudes concerning mouthguard use in 7-to-8 year old children. J of Dent Children 2002;69(2):207-211.
- Clegg J. Mouth protection for the rugby football player. British Dental Journal 1969;21:341-343.
- Heintz W. Mouth protectors: a progress report. Journal of the American Dental Association 1968;77: 632-636. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1968.0267
- 박용석, 오상천, 기태석, 동진근. 한국체육대학 학생들의 구강악안면 외상과 치아보호장치 사용에 관한 실태조사. 원광치의학논문집 2001;10(3):125-135.
- Ranalli DN. Sports dentistry and dental traumatology. Dent Traumatol 2002;18:231-236. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-9657.2002.00122.x
- Barth JT, Freeman JR, Winters JE. Management of sports-related concussions. Dent Clin North Am 2000;44:67-83.
- 백경화, 장종화, 이영수. 운동선수의 구강악안면 외상 경험과 마우스 가드 착용과의 관련성. 한국치위생교육학회지 2009;9(3):545-557.
- Woodmansey KF. Athletic mouth guards prevent orofacial injuries. J Am Coll Health 1997;45:179-182. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.1997.9936880
- Wehner PJ, Henderson D. Maximum prevention and preservation: an achievement of intraoral mouth protectors. Dent Clin North Am 1965;25:493-498.
- Stenger JM, Lawton EA, Wright JM, Ricketts J. Mouthguards: protection against shock to head, neck and teeth. Basal Facts 1987;9:133-139.
- Geary JL, Kinirons MJ. Post thermoforming dimensional changes of ethylene vinyl acetate used in custom-made mouthguards for trauma prevention -. a pilot study. Dent Traumatol 2008;24:350-355. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2007.00550.x
- Chaconas SJ, Caputo AA, Bakke NK. A comparison of athletic mouthguard materials. Am J Sports Med 1985;13:193-197. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354658501300309
- Waked EJ, Lee TK, Caputo AA. Effects of aging on the dimensional stability of custom-made mouthguards. Quintessence Int 2002;33:700-705.
- Miura J, Maeda Y, Machi H, Matsuda S. Mouthguards: difference in longitudinal dimensional stability between single and double-laminated fabrication techniques. Dent Traumatol 2007;23:9-13.
- Takeda T, Ishigami K, Handa J et al. Does hard insertion and space improve shock absorption ability of mouthguard? Dent Traumatol 2006;22:77-82. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-9657.2006.00361.x
- Jalleh G, Donovan RJ, Clarkson J, March K, Foster M, Giles-Corti B. Increasing mouthguards usage among junior rugby and basketball players. Aust NZ J Public Health 2001;25:250-252. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-842X.2001.tb00571.x
- Berg R, Berkey DB, Tang JM, Altman DS, Londeree KA. Knowledge and attitudes of Arizona high-school coaches regarding oral-facial injuries and mouthguard use among athletes. J Am Dent Assoc 1998;129:1425-1432. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1998.0077
- 곽정숙, 우승희. 스포츠 선수들의 구강보호장치 사용실태. 한국콘텐츠학회논문지 2010;10(5):296-302.
- Influencing factors on oral and maxillofacial trauma prevention education experience of students majoring in physical education vol.14, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.915