- Volume 38 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Medicinal Herbal Complex Extract with Potential for Hair Growth-Promoting Activity
발모효과를 가지는 한방복합처방단
- Received : 2012.05.25
- Accepted : 2012.11.14
- Published : 2012.12.30
To develop new therapeutic materials to prevent hair loss and enhance hair growth, we developed a medicinal herbal complex extract (MHCE) using 23 herbs traditionally used in oriental medicine. Medicinal Herbal complex extract was consist of Angelica gigas Nakai, Psoralea corylifolia Linne, Biota orientalis Endlicher, and Eclipta prostrata Linne, Rehmannia glutinosa Liboschitz var. purpurea Makino, Ligustrum lucidum Aiton, Polygonum multiflorum Thunberg, and Sesamum indicum Linne, Sophora angustifolia Sieboldet Zuccarini, Angelica dahurica Benthamet Hooker, and Leonurus sibiricus Linne, Salvia miltiorrhiza Bunge, Prunus persica Batsch, Commiphora molmol Engler, Chrysanthemum indicum Linne, Boswellia carterii Birdwood, Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer, Cnidium officinale Makino, Albizia julibrissin Durazzini, and Corydalis ternata Nakai that have traditionally been used for treating hair loss, preventing gray hair, anti-inflammation, and blood circulation in oriental medicine. In addition, we examined the hair growth effect of MHCE in vitro and in vivo. In vitro, we evaluated the effects of MHCE on cultured HFDPC, HaCaT cells, and murine embryonal fibroblasts (NIH3T3 cells). Also, we evaluated the ability of MHCE to prevent gray hair on murine melanoma cells (B16F1 cells). The hair growth-promoting effect of MHCE in vitro was also observed in vivo using C57BL/6 mice. Our results showed that MHCE significantly increased the proliferation of HFDPC (175 % proliferation at
medicinal herbal complex extract;hair growth;human follicle dermal papilla cell;NIH3T3 cell;C57BL/6 mice
- A. E. Buhl, D. J. Waldon, S. J. Conrad, M. J. Mulholland, K. L. Shull, M. F. Kubicek, G. A. Johnson, M. N. Brunden, K. J. Stefanski, and R. G. Stehle, Potassium channel conductance: a mechanism affecting hair growth both in vitro and in vivo, J. Invest. Dermatol., 98, 315 (1992). https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12499788
- C. S. Harmon, D. Lutz, and J. Ducote, Potassium channel openers stimulate DNA synthesis in mouse epidermal keratinocyte and whole hair follicle cultures, Skin Pharmacol., 6, 170 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1159/000211131
- Y. Nakaya, H. Hamaoka, S. Kato, and S. Arase, Effect of minoxidil sulfate and pinacidil on single potassium channel current in cultured human outer root sheath cells and dermal papilla cells, J. Dermatol. Sci., 7(suppl), S104 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1016/0923-1811(94)90041-8
- D. A. Sanders, I. Fiddes, D. M. Thompson, M. P. Philpott, G. E. Westgate, and T. Kealey, In the absence of streptomycin, minoxidil potentiates the mitogenic effects of fetal calf serum, insulin-like growth factor 1, and platelet-derived growth factor on NIH3T3 fibroblasts in a K+ channel-dependent fashion, J. Invest. Dermatol., 107, 229 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12329697
- K. D. Kaufman, E. A. Olsen, and D. Whiting, Finasteride in the treatment of men with androgenetic alopecia. Finasteride Male Pattern Hair Loss Study Group, J. Am. Acad. Dermatol., 39, 578 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0190-9622(98)70007-6
- M. Kerscher, S. Williams, and L. Dubertret, Cosmetic dermatology and skin care, Eur. J. Dermatol., 17, 180 (2007).
- J. L. Burton and A. Marshall, Hypertrichosis due to minoxidil, Br. J. Dermatol., 101, 593 (1979). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2133.1979.tb11892.x
- S. Murad, L. C. Walker, S. Tajima, and S. R. Pinell, Minimal structural requirements for minoxidil inhibition of lysyl hydroxilase in cultured fibroblasts, Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 308(1), 42 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1006/abbi.1994.1006
- V. H. Price, Treatment of hair loss, New Engl. J. Med., 341, 964 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199909233411307
- S. Bhaumik, M. D. Jyothi, and A. Khar, Differential modulation of nitric oxide production by curcumin in host macrophages and NK cells, FEBS. Lett., 483, 78 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(00)02089-5
- V. Rathi, J. C. Rathi, S. Tamizharasi, and A. K. Pathak, Plants used for hair growth promotion: a review, Phcog. Rev., 2, 185 (2008).
- J. Huh, Donguibogam, 78, 307, 449, 738, Namsandang, Seoul (1987).
- D. K. An, Illustrated Book of Korean Medicinal Herbs, Kyohak Publishing Co. Ltd., Seoul (1998).
- G. S. Moon, The Ingredients and Use of Medicinal Herb, Ilweolseogak, Seoul (1999).
- R. L. DeVillez, Infectious, physical, and inflammatory causes of hair and scalp abnormalities, ed. E. A. Olsen, 71, McGraw-Hill Inc., New York (1994).
- R. Ruckert, G. Lindner, S. Bulfone-Paus, and R. Paus, High-dose proinflammatory cytokines induce apoptosis of hair bulb keratocytes in vivo, Br. J. Dermatol., 143, 1036 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2133.2000.03784.x
- R. M. Trueb, Molecular mechanism of androgenetic alopecia, Exp. Gerontol., 37, 981 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0531-5565(02)00093-1
- B. Y. Chae, Oriental Medical Sergery, 285, Komoonsa, Seoul (1971).
- E. Fuchs, Scratching the surface of skin development, Nature, 445, 834 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1038/nature05659
- S. Inui, Y. Fukuzato, T. Nakajima, K. Yoshkawa, and S. Itami, Identification of androgen-inducible TFG-beta 1 derived from dermal papilla cells as a key mediator in androgenetic alopecia, J. Investig. Dermatol. Symp. Proc., 8, 69 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-1747.2003.12174.x
- C. A. B. Jahoda and A. J. Reynolds, Induction of follicle formation and hair growth by vibrissa dermal papillae implanted into rat ear wounds: vibrissae- type fibers are secified, Development., 115, 1103 (1992).
- R. F. Oliver, The induction of hair follicle formation in the adult hooded rat by vibrissae dermal papillae, J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol., 23, 219 (1970).
- K. Eliott, T. J. Stephenson, and A. G. Messenger, Differences in hair follicle dermal papilla volume are due to extracellular matrix volume and cell number: implications for the control of hair follicle size and androgen responses, J. Invest. Dermatol., 13, 873 (1999).
- L. Ibrahim and E. A. Wright, A quantitative study of hair growth using mouse and rat vibrissal follicles. I. Dermal papilla volume determines hair volume, J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol., 72, 209 (1982).
- S. S. Roh, C. D. Kim, M. H. Lee, S. L. Hwang, M. J. Rang, and Y. K. Yoon, The hair growth promoting effect of Sophora flavescens extract and its molecular regulation, J. Dermatol. Sci., 30(1), 43 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0923-1811(02)00060-9
- H. G. Yoo, I. Y. Chang, H. K. Pyo, Y. J. Kang, S. H. Lee, O. S. Kwon, K. H. Cho, H. C. Eun, and K. H. Kim, The additive effects of minoxidil and retinol on human hair growth in vitro, Biol. Pharmaceut. Bull., 30, 21 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.30.21
- K. S. Stenn and R. Paus, Control of hair follicle cycling, Physiol. Rev., 81, 449 (2001).
- M. Hattori and H. Ogawa, Biochemical analysis of hair growth from the aspects of aging and enzyme activities. J. Dermatol., 10, 45 (1983). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1346-8138.1983.tb01103.x
- A. Slominski, R. Paus, and R. Costantino, Differential expression and activity of melanogenesis related proteins during induced hair growth in mice, J. Invest. Dermatol.. 96, 172 (1991). https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12460956
- A. Slominski and R. Paus, Melanogenesis is coupled to murine anagen:toward new concepts for the role of melanocytes and the regulation of melanogenesis in hair growth, J. Invest. Dermatol.. 101, 90S (1993). https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12362991
- A. Slominski, R. Paus, P. Plonka, and A. Chakraborty, Melanogenesis during the anagen-catagen- telogen transformation of the murine hair cycle, J. Invest. Dermatol., 102, 862 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12382606
- K. R. Patent 1008228350000 (2007).
- K. R. Im, M. J. Kim, and K.-S. Yoon, Hair Growth Activity and Melanogenic Activity of Oriental Medical Prescription, J. Soc. Cosmet. Scientists Korea, 37(2), 161 (2011).
- P. R. Gorden, C. P. Mansur, and B. A. Gilchrest, Regulation of human melanocyte growth, dendricity, and melanization by keratinocyte derived factors, J. Invest. Dermatol., 92, 565 (1989). https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12709595
- S. Muller-Rover and B van der Veen C. Handjiski, A comprehensive guide for the accurate classification of murine hair follicles in distinct hair cycle stages, J. Invest. Dermatol., 117, 3 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0022-202x.2001.01377.x
- N. Boyera, I. Galey, and B. A. Bernard, Biphasic effects of minoxidil on the proliferation and differentiation of normal human keratinocytes, Skin Pharmacol., 10, 206 (1997).
- A. Han and P. Mirmirani, Clinical approach to the patient with alopecia. Semin. Cutan. Med. Surg., 25, 11 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sder.2006.01.003
- G. J. Gromley, Finasteride: a clinical review, Biomed. Pharmacother., 49, 319 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1016/0753-3322(96)82658-8
- K. D. Kaufman, D. J. Girman, E. M. Round, A. O. Johnson-Levonas, A. K. Shah, and J. Rotonda, Progression of hair loss in men with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern hair loss): long-term (5- year) controlled observational data in placebotreated patients, Eur. J. Dermatol., 18, 407 (2008).
- K. D. Kaufman, J. Rotonda, A. K. Shah, and A. G. Meehan, Long-term treatment with finasteride 1 mg decreases the likelihood of developing further visible hair loss in men with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern hair loss), Eur. J. Dermatol., 18, 400 (2008).
- K. J. McClellan and A. Markham, Finasteride: a review of its use in male pattern hair loss, Drugs, 57, 111 (1999). https://doi.org/10.2165/00003495-199957010-00014
- N. Tanigaki-Obana and M. Ito, Effects of cepharanthine and minoxidil on proliferation, differentiation and keratinization of cultured cells from the murine hair apparatus, Arch. Dermatol. Res., 284, 290 (1992). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00372583
- H. Uno, A. Cappas, and C. Schlagel, Cyclic dynamics of hair follicles and the effect of minoxidil on the bald scalps of stumptailed macaques, Am. J. Dermatopath., 7(3), 283 (1985). https://doi.org/10.1097/00000372-198506000-00012
- J. H. Han, O. S. Kwon, J. H. Chung, K. H. Cho, H. C. Eun, and K. H. Kim, Effect of minoxidil on proliferation and apoptosis in dermal papilla cells of human hair follicle, J. Dermatol. Sci., 34, 91 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdermsci.2004.01.002
- A Fast and Efficient UPLC-ESI-MS/MS Method for Detection, Identification, and Quantitative Analysis of Bioactive Substances in Medicinal Herbal Extracts of Preventing Hair Loss vol.36, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/bkcs.10476
- Effect of Natural Plant Extracts on Hair Loss Prevent in People with Alopecia vol.8, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3923/ajd.2016.8.13
Supported by : Small and Medium Business Administration of Korea