- Volume 40 Issue 2
The low speed aerodynamic characteristics of modified sonic arc airfoil which is developed to fit the transonic regime are investigated. This airfoil is designed by using the shape function of sonic arc proposed by Schwendenman, the data of NACA0012, and commercial program Maple. In order to investigate the low speed aerodynamic characteristic of sonic arc airfoil, the numerical analysis is conducted below Mach number 0.3 and the results are compared and analyzed with it of NACA0012 airfoil. At each Mach number, the drag of modified sonic arc airfoil is less 1.5% than NACA0012's drag and the lift of modified sonic arc airfoil is less 2% than NACA0012's lift. The moment coefficient of modified sonic arc airfoil is also less 1.4% than it of NACA0012 at each Mach number.
- Nixon, D., " Unsteady Transonic Aerodynamics," AIAA Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, Vol. 120, 1988
- Cole, J. D. and Cook, L. P., Transonic Aerodynamics, North-Holland, 1986.
- Whitcomb, R. T. and Clark, L. R., "An Airfoil Shape for Efficient Flight at Supercritical Mach Numbers," NASA TM X-1109, 1965.
- Spaid, F. W., Dahlin, J. A., Roos, F. W., and Stivers, L. S., Jr., "An Experimental Study of Transonic Flow about a Supercritical Airfoil. Static Pressure and Drag data Obtained from Tests of a Supercritical Airfoil and an NACA0012 Airfoil at Transonic Speeds, Supplement," NASA-TM-81336- SUPPL, 1983.
- Harris, D. C., McGhee, R. J., and Allison, D. O., "Low-Speed Aerodynamic Characteristics of a 14-percent-Thick NASA Phase 2 Supercritical Airfoil Designed for a Lift Coefficient of 0.7," NASA TM 81912, 1980.
- McGhee R. T., Beasley W.D., and Whitcomb R. T.,"NASA Low- and Medium-Speed Airfoil Development," NASA Technical Memorandum 78709, 1979.
- 이장창, "수정 Sonic Arc 익형의 공력성 능," 한국항공우주학회지, 제35권 7호, pp.581-585, 2007.
- Schwendenman, D. W., Kropinski, M. C. A, and Cole, J. D., "On the Construction and Calculation of Optimal Nonlifting Critical Airfoils," Z. Angew. Math. Phys., Vol. 44, 1993, pp.556-571. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00953667
- Sheldahl, R. E. and Klimas, P. C., "Aerodynamic Characteristics of Seven Symmetrical Airfoil Section through 180- Degree Angle of Attack for Use in Aerodynamic Analysis of Vertical Axis Wind Turbines," SAND80-2114, 1981, pp.13-27.
- Low Speed Thrust Characteristics of a Modified Sonic Arc Airfoil Rotor through Spin Test Measurement vol.13, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2012.13.3.317