- Volume 54 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quality Properties of Gouda Cheese Added with Fish Surimi
어육 수리미를 첨가한 가우다 치즈의 품질특성
- Kim, Kyoung-Hee (Imsil Institute of Cheese Science) ;
- Choi, Hee-Young (Imsil Institute of Cheese Science) ;
- Chun, Soon-Sil (Department of Food and Nutrition, Sunchon National University) ;
- Bae, In-Hyu (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Sunchon National University)
- Received : 2011.06.17
- Accepted : 2012.02.21
- Published : 2012.02.29
The effects of adding fish surimi to Gouda cheeses on quality characteristics during ripening were investigated. Cheese samples were prepared with 1.0% fish surimi, changes in chemical composition, lactic acid bacterial population, pH, non casein nitrogen, non protein nitrogen, water-soluble nitrogen, were monitored every 3 weeks during ripening. The electrophoresis patterns of cheese protein and the consumer's sensory evaluation test of Gouda cheese added with fish surimi also were analyzed. Slightly higher amounts of moisture, crude ash, crude protein, and crude fat were observed in the cheese supplemented with the fish surimi compared to the control cheese. The results suggested that the Gouda cheese prepared with fish surimi did not affect appearances or consumer's sensory characteristics of the cheeses.
- Aston, J. W., Durward, I. G. and Dulley. 1983. Proteolysis and flavor development in Cheddar cheese. Aust. J. Dairy Technol. 38:55-59.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis, 13th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington D.C., U.S.A., pp.155- 139.
- Barlow, I., Lloyd, G. T., Ramshaw, Z. H., Miller,A. J. and McCabe, G. P. 1989. Correlations and changes in flavor and chemical parameters of Cheddar cheese during maturation. Aust. J. Dairy Technol. 44, 7-18.
- Butikofer, M., Ruegg, M. and Ardo, Y. 1993. Determination of nitrogen fractions in cheese: evaluation of a collaborative study. Lebensm. Wiss. Technol. 26:271-275. https://doi.org/10.1006/fstl.1993.1056
- Choi, Y. J., Lee, H. S. and Cho, Y. J. 1999. Optimization of ingredients formulation in low grades surimi for improvement of gel strength. J. Korean Fish. Soc. 32, 556-562.
- Choi, Y. J., Park, J. D., Kim, J. S., Cho, Y. J. and Park, J. W. 2002. Rheological properties of heat-induced gels of surimi from acid and alkali process. J. Korean fish. Soc. 35(4):309-314.
Creamer, L. K., Zoerb, N. F. and Richardson, T. 1982. Surface hydrophobicity of
$\alpha$s1-Ⅰ, $\alpha$s1-casein A and B its implications in cheese structure. J. Dairy Sci., 65: 902-906. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(82)82289-3
- Davis, F. L. and Law, B. A. 1984. Microorganisms and their enzymes in the maturation of cheese. Progr. In Ind. Microbiol. 19:245-283.
- Ellen, E. O. 2006. The Vermont cheese book. The countryman press. Woodstock, Vermont. p. 10.
- Hill, A. R. 2007. Cheese Science and Processing Technology (translated by Inhyu Bae, Jonggun Ahn). Yuhan Publ. Co., Seoul. pp. 206-207.
- Hull, M. E. 1947. Studies on Milk protein Colorimetric Determination of the partial Hydrolysis of the proteins in Milk. J. Dairy. Sci. 30:881-884. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(47)92412-0
- Jin, S. K., Kim, I. S., Yang, H. S., Choi, Y. J. and Kim, B. G. 2007. Quality Characteristics of Surimi Manufactured by Alaska Pollack, Barren Hen Breast Meat and Mechanically Deboned Chicken Meat. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 49(3):395-404. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.3.395
- Jin, S. K., Kim, I. S., Nam, Y. W., Park, S. C., Choi, S. Y., Yang, H. S. and Choi, Y. J. 2008. Comparison of Textural Properties of Crab-flavored Sausage with Different Proportions of Chicken Meat. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 28(4):395-400. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.4.395
- Lanier, T. C. 1986. Functional properties of Surimi. Food Tech Reviews. 40:107-114.
- Laemmi, U. K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature. 277:680-685.
- Morris, C. J. 1979. Separation methods in biochemistry, Pitmat Publishing, 2nd., pp. 415-470.
- Park, J. W. and Morrissey, M. T. 2000. Manufacturing of surimi from light muscle fish. In Surimi and Surimi Seafood, J. W. Park, ed. Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 23-58.
- Park, D. J., Jung, C. H., Kim, J. S., Cho, D. M. and Choi, Y. J. 2003. Surimi Processing Using Acid and Alkali Solubilization of Fish Muscle Protein. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 32(3):400- 405. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.3.400
- Rank, T. C., Grappin, R. and Olsen, N. 1985. Secondary proteolysis of cheese during ripening: A review. J. Dairy Sci. 68:801-805. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(85)80895-X
- SAS. 1999. SAS/STAT Software for PC. User's guide, SAS Institute Inc., Cary NC, U.S.A.
- Visser, F. M. W. and de groot-Mastert, A. E. A. 1977. Contribution of enzymes from rennet, starter bacteria milk to proteolysis and flavor development in Gouda cheese. 4. Protein breakdown; a gel electrophoretical study. Neth. Milk Dairy J. 31:210-239.