- Volume 48 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Assessment of fishing power and fishing capacity of the snow crab (Chionoecetes opilio) gillnet fishery in the East Sea
동해안 대게 자망어업의 어획 성능 및 어획 능력 평가
- Lee, Kyoung-Hoon (Fisheries Engineering System Division, NFRDI) ;
- Kim, Pyung-Kwan (East Sea Management service) ;
- Kim, Do-Hoon (Technology Management Center, NFRDI) ;
- An, Heui-Chun (Aquaculture Industry Division, East Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- Lee, Chun-Woo (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University)
- 이경훈 (국립수산과학원 시스템공학과) ;
- 김병관 (동해어업관리단) ;
- 김도훈 (국립수산과학원 기술경영센터) ;
- 안희춘 (동해수산연구소 해역산업과) ;
- 이춘우 (부경대학교 해양생산시스템관리학부)
- Received : 2011.12.12
- Accepted : 2012.02.06
- Published : 2012.02.28
Currently, environment-friendly and sustainable fisheries are one of the major issues among fisheries authorities. A variety of alternative management policies and projects are going on to enhance fisheries management systems and fishery resources such as a TAC management program and a VDS (Vessel Day Scheme) management scheme for distant water fishing nations in Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC) convention area. These kinds of efforts among fisheries management authorities are aimed at limiting fishing capacity or fishing power. In terms of fisheries management, Fishing capacity and fishing power have increased the importance of the impact on a fishery and level of the resources. Increased fishing capacity and fishing power have caused not only depletion of fisheries resource, but also additional fishing cost. therefore, there is a clear need for authorities to manage fishing capacity and fishing power. It is also help ensure the conservation and sustainability of the fishery resources. Because of lack of data, absolute fishing power is difficulty to measure. The notion of relative fishing power is frequently used. In this study, relative fishing power was assessed using Mastuda (1991) method for fishing power index. The raw data for assessment was based on fishermen's logbook data from sampled fishing vessels in coastal snow crab gillnet fishery. Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) method was used to assess fishing capacity. DEA is a linear programming methodology to measure the efficiency of a set of entities called Decision-Making Units (DMUs). It was recommended by FAO for assessing capacity in fisheries.
Fishing Power;Fishing capacity;TAC;Data Envelopment Analysis;Gillnet
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- An, H.C., K.H. Lee, S.W. Park, C.D. Park and J.K. Shin, 2007. Assessment of fishing power of common octopus (Octopus minor) trap fishery. J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech, 43 (3), 176－182. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.3.176
- FAO, 1999. International Plan of Action for reducing incidental catch of seabirds in longline fisheries. International Plan of Action for the conservation and management of sharks. International Plan of Action for the management of fishing capacity. FAO COFI/99/5.
- FAO, 2000. Report of the Technical Consultation on the Measurement of Fishing Capacity. FAO Fisheries Report, 615, pp. 92.
- Johansen, L., 1968. Production functions and the concept of capacity. Namur: Centre d'Etudes et de la Recherche Universitaire de Namur, 64-82.
- Kim, D.H., 2006. Measurement of fishing capacity of offshore fisheries in Korea. J. Fish. Econ., 37 (1), 1 -24.
- Kim, D.H., H.C. An, K.H. Lee and J.W. Hwang, 2007. Fishing capacity assessment of the octopus coastal trap fishery using data envelopment analysis (DEA). J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 43 (4), 339－346. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2007.43.4.339
- Kirkley, J. and D. Squires, 1999. Capacity and Capacity Utilization in Fishery Industry. FI:MFC/99 Background document 20, Technical Consultation on the Measurement of Fishing Capacity. Mexico, pp. 32-48.
- Kirkley, J., R. Färe, S. Grosskopf, K. McConnell, D. Squires, and I. Strand, 2001. Assessing Capacity and Capacity Utilization in Fisheries When Data are Limited. N. Amer. J. Fish. Managn, 21, 482-497. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8675(2001)021<0482:ACACUI>2.0.CO;2
- Kirkley, J., D. Squires, M. Alam, and H. Ishak, 2003. Excess Capacity and Asymmetric Information in Developing Country Fisheries : The Malaysia Purse Seine Fishery. Amer. J. Agr. Econ., 85 (3), 647-662. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8276.00462
- Mastuda, K. 1991. Quantification of fishing gear and method, Seizando Press., Tokyo, pp. 102-123.
- Morrison, C.J., 1985. Primal and dual capacity utilization: An application to productivity measurement in the U.S. automobile industry. J. Bus. Econ. Stat., 3, 312-324. https://doi.org/10.2307/1391716
- Nelson, R., 1989. On the measurement of capacity utilization. J. Ind. Econ., 37 (3), 272-286.
- NFRDI, 2010. Ecology and fishing ground of fisheries resources in Korean waters. pp. 384.
- Pascoe S., D. Greboval, J. Kirkley, and E. Lindebo, 2004. Measuring and appraising capacity in fisheries: Framework, analytical tools and data aggregation. FAO Fisheries Circular No. 994, pp. 75.
- Zheng, Y. and Y. Zhou, 2005. Measures of the Fishing Capacity of Chinese Marine Fleets and Discussion of the Methods. J. Oceanogr., 61 (3), 623-630. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10872-005-0070-y