- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Forsythia suspensa Extract Has the Potential to Substitute Antibiotic in Broiler Chicken
- Han, X. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, China Agricultural University) ;
- Piao, X.S. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, China Agricultural University) ;
- Zhang, H.Y. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, China Agricultural University) ;
- Li, P.F. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, China Agricultural University) ;
- Yi, J.Q. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, China Agricultural University) ;
- Zhang, Q. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, China Agricultural University) ;
- Li, P. (State Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Centre, China Agricultural University)
- Received : 2011.11.14
- Accepted : 2012.01.17
- Published : 2012.04.01
Two experiments were conducted to investigate the potential for Forsythia suspensa extract (FSE) to substitute for antibiotic in broiler chicken. First, a well-diffusion assay procedure and a 2-fold dilution method were used to determine the bacteriostatic activity of FSE on Escherichia coli K88, staphylococcus aureus, and salmonella was assayed. An inhibitory effect of FSE was observed on the growth of these bacteria. This effect seems to be dose depended, which disappeared after 25.00, 12.50, 1.56 mg/ml. Second, a 42-d trial with 252 broiler chickens (d 1,
- Alexander, A. N. and H. V. Carey. 1999. Oral IGF-I enhances nutrient and electrolyte absorption in neonatal piglet intestine. Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 277:619-625.
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis, 17th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington. Virginia, USA.
- Barton, M. D. 2000. Antibiotic use in animal feed and its impact on human health. Nutr. Res. Rev. 13:279-299. https://doi.org/10.1079/095442200108729106
- Bach Knudsen, K. E. 2001. Development of antibiotic resistance and options to replace antimicrobials in animal diets. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 60:291-299. https://doi.org/10.1079/PNS2001109
- Burke, W. H. and H. L. Marks. 1982. Growth hormone and prolactin levels in non selected and selected broiler lines of chickens from hatch to eight weeks of age. Growth 46:283-295.
- Cassel, G. H. 1995. ASM task force urges broad program on antimicrobial resistance. ASM News 61:116-120.
- Chinivasagam, H. N., T. Tran, L. Maddock, A. Gale and P. J. Blackall. 2009. Mechanically ventilated broiler sheds: a possible source of aerosolized salmonella, Campylobacter, and Escherichia coli. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 75:7417-7425. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.01380-09
- Dimov, S. G. 2007. A novel bacteriocin-like substance produced by Enterococcus faecium 3587. Curr. Microbiol. 55:323-327. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-007-0018-0
- Gast, R. K. and P. S. Holt. 1998. Persistence of salmonella enteritidis from one day of age until maturity in experimentally infected layer chickens. Poult. Sci. 77:1759-1762. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/77.12.1759
- Gutierrez, L., L. Ocampo, C. Rosario and H. Sumano. 2007. Pharmacokinetics of disodium fosfomycin in broilers and dose strategies to comply with its pharmacodynamics versus Escherichia coli. Poult. Sci. 89:2106-2115. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2010-00892
Hao, Y., X. S. Piao and D. F. Li. 2010. Forsythia suspensa extract alleviates hypersensitivity induced by soybean
$\beta$-conglycinin in weaned piglets. J. Ethnopharmacol. 128:412-418. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.01.035
- Hu, J. Y., L. Lei, Y. Yu and W. L. Deng. 2007. The research of Forsythia suspensa on anti-inflammatory and relieving fever activities. Pharmacol. Clin. Chin. Mater. Med. 23:51-52.
- Jubb, K., P. Kennedy and N. Palmer. 1993. Nutritional myopathy. In: Pathology of domestic animals, 4th Ed. (Ed. K. Jubb, P. Kennedy and N. Palmer). Academic Press, San Diego, California. pp. 228-242.
- Kong, X., Y. Hu, R. Rui, D. Wang and X. Li. 2004. Effects of chinese herbal medicinal ingredients on peripheral lymphocyte proliferation and serum antibody titer after vaccination in chicken. Int. Immunopharmacol. 4:975-982. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2004.03.008
- Lemmey, A. B., A. A. Martin, L. C. Read, F. M. Tomas, P. C. Owens and F. J. Ballard. 1991. IGF-I and the truncated analogue des-(1-3) IGF-I enhance growth in rats after gut resection. Am. J. Physiol. 260:213-219.
- Li, Z. X., X. H. Wang, J. H. Zhao, J. F. Yang and X. Wang. 2007. In vitro study of antibacterial activity of Forsythia suspensa against staphylococcus aureus and sepidermidis. Tianjin J. Traditional Chin. Med. 24:328-331.
- Lien, T. F., Y. M. Horng and C. P. Wu. 2007. Feasibility of replacing antibiotic feed promoters with the Chinese traditional herbal medicine Bazhen in weaned piglets. Livest. Sci. 107:97-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2006.09.008
- Lima, F. L., M. A. R. de Carvalho, A. C. M. Apolonio, M. P. Bemquerer, M. M. Santoro, J. S. Oliveira, C. S. Alviano and L. M. Farias. 2008. Actinomycetemcomitin: a new bacteriocin produced by Aggregatibacter (Actinobacillus) actinomycetemcomitans. J. Ind. Microbiol Biotechnol. 35:103-110. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10295-007-0271-z
- Liu, Y. J., Z. Q. Yang, H. Xiao and L. Wen. 2004. Inhibitory effect of four kinds of extract of Chinese herbs-Forsythia on herpes simplex virus type. J. Hubei College Trad. Chin. Med. 6:36-38.
- Liu, W. S., Y. X. Xu and Y. L. Zheng. 2007. Effect of the ethanol extract of Forsythia suspensa (thunb.) Vahl. on the growth curve of bacterium. J. Anhui. Agric. Sci. 35:7383-7387.
- Lu, T., X. L. Piao, Q. Zhang, D. Wang, X. S. Piao and S. W. Kim. 2010. Protective effects of Forsythia suspensa extract against oxidative stress induced by diquat in rats. Food Chem. Toxicol. 48:764-770. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2009.12.018
- Nitsan, Z., G. Ben-Avraham, Z. Zoref and I. Nir. 1991. Growth and development of the digestive organs and some enzymes in broiler chicks after hatching. Br. Poult. Sci. 32:515-523. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669108417376
- Niu, X. H., S. C. Qiu, D. L. Di, X. L. Bai and F. Gao. 2002. The in vitro growth inhibition effect of Forsythia suspensa (thunb.) Vahi (FSV) on bacteria. Li Shizhen Med. Mater. Med. Res. 13:342-343.
- Oh, J. Y., M. S. Kang, B. K. An, E. A. Song, J. H. Kwon and Y. K. Kwon. 2010. Occurrence of purulent arthritis broiler vertically infected with Salmonellla enterica serovar Enteritidis in Korea. Poult. Sci. 89:2116-2122. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2010-00918
- Peterson, C. A., H. V. Carey, P. S. Hinton, H. C. Lo and D. M. Ney. 1997. GH elevates serum IGF-I levels but does not alter mucosal atrophy in parenterally-fed rats. Am. J. Physiol. 272:1100-1108.
- Piao, X. L., M. H. Jang, J. Cui and X. S. Piao. 2008a. Lignans from the fruits of Forsythia suspensa. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 18:1980-1984. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2008.01.115
Piao, X. L., E. J. Cho, M. H. Jang and J. Cui. 2009. Cytoprotective effect of lignans from Forsythia suspensa against peroxynitrite-induced
$LLC-PK_1$cell damage. Phytother. Res. 23:938-942. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.2834
- Qu, H., Y. Zhang, Y. Wang, B. Li and W. Sun. 2008. Antioxidant and antibacterial activity of two compounds (forsythiaside and forsythin) isolated from Forsythia suspensa. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 60:261-266. https://doi.org/10.1211/jpp.60.2.0016
- Revolledo, L. and A. J. P. Ferreira. 2010. Salmonella antibiotic-mutant strains reduce fecal shedding and organ invasion in broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 89:2130-2140. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2010-00920
- SAS Institute. 1996. SAS user's guide: statisitcs. Version 7.0. SAS Institute, Cary, North Carolina.
- Schinella, G. R., H. A. Tournier, J. M. Prieto, B. P. de Mordujovich and J. L. Rios. 2002. Antioxidant activity of anti-inflammatory plant extracts. Life Sci. 70:1023-1033. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(01)01482-5
- Shen, Y. B., X. S. Piao, S. W. Kim, L. Wang, P. Liu, I. Yoon and Y. G. Zhen. 2009. Effects of yeast culture supplementation on growth performance, intestinal health, and immune response of nursery pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 87:2614-2624. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1512
- Shen, Y. B., X. S. Piao, S. W. Kim, L. Wang and P. Liu. 2010. The effects berberine on the magnitude of the acute inflammatory response induced by Escherichia coli lipopolysaccharide in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 89:13-19. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2009-00243
- Smith, D. L., A. D. Harris, J. A. Johnson, E. K. Silbergeld and Jr. J. G. Morris. 2002. Animal antibiotic use has an early but important impact on the emergence of antibiotic resistance in human commensal bacteria. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 99:6434-6439. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.082188899
- Valko, M., C. J. Rhodes, J. Moncol, M. Izakovic and M. Mazur. 2006. Free radicals, metals and antioxidants in oxidative stress-induced cancer. Chem. Biol. Interact. 160:1-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2005.12.009
- Wang, L., X. L. Piao, S. W. Kim, X. S. Piao, Y. B. Shen and H. S. Lee. 2008. Effects of forsythia suspensa extract on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, and antioxidant activities in broiler chickens under high ambient temperature. Poult. Sci. 87:1287-1294. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2008-00023
- Yang, J., Z. H. Li, L. Huang, J. L. Li, R. Wen and P. W. Cui. 2009. Antimicrobial activity of the volatile oil from Valeriana officinalis L. Li Shizhen Med. Mater. Med. Res. 20:1651-1652.
- Zhang, H. Y. 2000. The advanced research of Forsythia Suspensa on its chemical components and pharmacological activities. J. Chin. Med. Mater. 23:657-660.
- Zhou, H. Y. and S. Mineshita. 2000. The effect of berberine chloride on experimental colitis in rats in vivo and in vitro. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 294:822-829.
- Effects of essential oil supplementation of a low-energy diet on performance, intestinal morphology and microflora, immune properties and antioxidant activities in weaned pigs vol.86, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12277
- Forsythia suspensa extract attenuates corticosterone-induced growth inhibition, oxidative injury, and immune depression in broilers vol.93, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2013-03772
- extract and chito-oligosaccharide alone or in combination on performance, intestinal barrier function, antioxidant capacity and immune characteristics of weaned piglets vol.88, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12656
- extract attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory liver injury in rats via promoting antioxidant defense mechanisms vol.88, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12717
- Forsythiae Fructus: A Review on its Phytochemistry, Quality Control, Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics vol.22, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules22091466
- Comparative transcriptome analyses of three medicinal Forsythia species and prediction of candidate genes involved in secondary metabolisms vol.72, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11418-018-1218-6