- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Improvement of Fermentation and Nutritive Quality of Straw-grass Silage by Inclusion of Wet Hulless-barley Distillers' Grains in Tibet
- Yuan, Xianjun ;
- Yu, Chengqun ;
- Shimojo, M. ;
- Shao, Tao
- Received : 2011.11.18
- Accepted : 2012.01.08
- Published : 2012.04.01
In order to develop methods that would enlarge the feed resources in Tibet, mixtures of hulless-barley straw and tall fescue were ensiled with four levels (0, 10%, 20%, and 30% of fresh weight) of wet hulless-barley distillers' grains (WHDG). The silos were opened after 7, 14 or 30 d of ensiling, and the fermentation characteristics and nutritive quality of the silages were analyzed. WHDG addition significantly improved fermentation quality, as indicated by the faster decline of pH, rapid accumulation of lactic acid (LA) (p<0.05), and lower butyric acid content and ammonia-N/total N (p<0.05) as compared with the control. These results indicated that WHDG additions not only effectively inhibited the activity of aerobic bacteria, but also resulted in faster and greatly enhanced LA production and pH value decline, which restricted activity of undesirable bacteria, resulting in more residual water soluble carbohydrates (WSC) in the silages. The protein content of WHDG-containing silages were significantly higher (p<0.05) higher than that of the control. In conclusion, the addition of WHDG increased the fermentation and nutritive quality of straw-grass silage, and this effect was more marked when the inclusion rate of WHDG was greater than 20%.
Wet Hulless-barley Distillers' Grains;Hulless-barley Straw;Tall Fescue;Mixed Silage;Fermentation Quality
- Anderson, J. L., K. F. Kalscheur, A. D. Garcia, D. J. Schingoethe and A. R. Hippen. 2009. Ensiling characteristics of wet distillers grains mixed with soybean hulls and evaluation of the feeding value for growing Holstein heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 87(6):2113-2123. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1607
- AOAC. 1984. Official methods of Analysis. 14th ed., Association of Official and Analytical Chemists, Arlington,Virginia, USA.
- Barker, S. B. and W. H. Summerson. 1941. The colorimetric determination of lactic acid in biological material. J. Biol. Chem. 138:535-554.
- Broderick, G. A. and J. H. Kang. 1980. Automated simultaneous determination of ammonia and total amino acids in ruminal fluid and in vitro media. J. Dairy Sci. 63(1):64-75. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82888-8
- Thomas, T. A. 1977. An automated procedure for the determination of soluble carbohydrates in herbage. J. Sci. Food Agric. 28(7):639-642. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740280711
- Cao, Y., Y. Cai, T. Hirakubo, H. Fukui and H. Matsuyama. 2011. Fermentation characteristics and microorganism composition of total mixed ration silage with local food by-products in different seasons. Anim. Sci. 82(2):259-266. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2010.00840.x
- Chiou, P. W. S., S. H. Chang and B. Yu. 2000. The effects of wet sorghum distillers' grains inclusion on napiergrass silage quality. J. Sci. Food Agric. 80(8):1199-1205. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0010(200006)80:8<1199::AID-JSFA620>3.0.CO;2-R
- Duan, Y. H., Z. F. Tan, Y. P. Wang, Z. W. Li, Z. Y. Li, G. Y. Qin, Y. P. Huo and Y. M. Cai. 2008. Identification and characterization of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Tibetan Qula cheese. J. Gen. Appl. Microbiol. 54(1):51-60. https://doi.org/10.2323/jgam.54.51
- Haigh, P. M. and J. R. Hopkins. 1977. Relationship between oven and toluene dry matter in grass silage. J. Sci. Food Agric. 28(6):477-480. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740280602
- Kemble, A. R. 1956. Studies on the nitrogen metabolism of the ensilage process. J. Sci. Food Agric. 7(2):125-130. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740070206
- Krishnamoorthy, U., T. V. Muscato, C. J. Sniffen and P. J. Van Soest. 1982. Nitrogen fractions in selected feedstuffs. J. Dairy Sci. 65(2):217-225. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(82)82180-2
- McDonald, P., A. R. Henderson and S. J. E. Heron. 1991. The biochemistry of silage. 2th ed., Cambrian Printers Ltd, Aberystwyth.
- Meeske, R., G. D. van der Merwe, J. F. Greyling and C. W. Cruywagen. 2002. The effect of adding an enzyme containing lactic acid bacterial inoculant to big round bale oat silage on intake, milk production and milk composition of Jersey cows. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 97(3-4):159-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(01)00352-2
- Nilsson, G. and P. E. Nilsson. 1956. Silage studies. IV. The microflora on the surface of some fodder plants at different stages of maturity. Arch. Microbiol. 24(4):412-422.
- Nishino, N., H. Hiroaki and E. Sakaguchi. 2003. Evaluation of fermentation and aerobic stability of wet brewers' grains ensiled alone or in combination with various feeds as a total mixed ration. J. Sci. Food Agric. 83(6):557-563. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1395
- Ohba, N., M. Tobisa and M. Shimojo. 2002. Effect of ethanol addition on ensiling of forage oats and italian ryegrass. Sci. Bull Faculty Agric. Kyushu Univ. 57:11-15.
- Parker, J. W. G. and R. Crawshaw. 1982. Effects of formic acid on silage fermentation, digestibility, intake and performance of young cattle. Grass Forage Sci. 37(1):53-58. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1982.tb01576.x
- Ridla, M. and S. Uchida. 1994. Fermentation quality and silage additives value of barley straw and wet brwers'grains silage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 7:517-522. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1994.517
- SAS. 1999. SAS/STAT user's guide: (Version 8.01th ed), SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina, USA.
- Shao, T., N. Ohba, M. Shimojo and Y. Masuda. 2002. Dynamics of early fermentation of Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.) silage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1606-1610. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1606
- Shao, T., Z. X. Zhang, M. Shimojo, T. Wanga and Y. Masuda. 2005. Comparison of fermentation characteristics of italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum Lam.) and guineagrass (Panicum maximum Jacq.) during the early stage of ensiling. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:1727-1734. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1727
- Suksombat, W. 2004. Silage from agricultural by-products in Thailand: processing and storage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:473-478. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.473
- Titterton, M. and B. V. Maasdorp. 1997. Nutritional improvement of maize silage for dairying: mixed crop silages from sole and intercropped legumes and a long season variety of maize. 2. Ensilage. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 69(1-3):263-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)81640-9
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74(10):3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Weissbach, P. J. 1996. New developments in crop preservation, In: Proceedings of 11th International Silage Conference, Aberystwyth.
- Zhang, L., C. Q. Yu, M. Shimojo and T. Shao. 2011. Effect of different rates of ethanol additive on fermentation quality of napiergrass (pennisetum purpureum). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 24:636-642. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.10416
- Effect of inclusion of grasses and wet hulless-barley distillers? grains on the fermentation and nutritive quality of oat straw- and straw-grass silages in Tibet vol.53, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN12196
- Effects of adding acetic acid and molasses on fermentation quality and aerobic stability of total mixed ration silage prepared with hulless barley straw in Tibet vol.60, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/grs.12062
- Effects of fibrolytic enzymes, molasses and lactic acid bacteria on fermentation quality of mixed silage of corn and hulless-barely straw in the Tibetan Plateau vol.60, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/grs.12060
- on fermentation characteristics and aerobic stability of total mixed ration silages vol.71, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/gfs.12180
- digestibility and aerobic stability of total mixed ration silages in the Tibetan plateau of China vol.87, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12477
- Effects of sodium diacetate on the fermentation profile, chemical composition and aerobic stability of alfalfa silage vol.30, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0773
- Adding distiller's grains and molasses on fermentation quality of rice straw silages vol.46, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/0103-8478cr20150851
- degradability in Tibet vol.62, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/grs.12128
- Effects of calcium propionate on the fermentation quality and aerobic stability of alfalfa silage vol.30, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0956
- Isolating and evaluating lactic acid bacteria strains for effectiveness on silage quality at low temperatures on the Tibetan Plateau vol.88, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12852
- L.) straw on the Tibetan Plateau pp.17446961, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/grs.12191
- Inclusion of alfalfa improves nutritive value and in vitro digestibility of various straw-grass mixed silages in Tibet vol.73, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/gfs.12365
- Fermentation quality, in vitro digestibility and aerobic stability of total mixed ration silages prepared with whole-plant corn (Zea mays L.) and hulless barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) straw vol.58, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN15874