- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Flavor Characteristics of Hanwoo Beef in Comparison with Other Korean Foods
- Ba, Hoa Van (Department of Animal Science and Institute of Rare Earth for Biological Application, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Ryu, Kyeong-Seon (Department of Animal Science and Institute of Rare Earth for Biological Application, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Hwang, In-Ho (Department of Animal Science and Institute of Rare Earth for Biological Application, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2011.08.19
- Accepted : 2011.11.03
- Published : 2012.03.01
The present study identified volatile flavor components of Hanwoo longissimus muscle and other Korean foods (Doenjang, Chungukjang, sesame oil) and their traits were compared in relation with flavor precursors that include fatty acids and protein degradation products. Hanwoo longissimus muscle was purchased from a commercial abattoir while the other foods were sampled from three separate households. The results showed totals of 68 (
Chungukjang;Doenjang;Hanwoo Beef;Sesame Oil;Volatile Flavor Component
- Ames, J. M., R. C. E. Guy and G. J. Kipping. 2001. Effect of pH and temperature on the formation of volatile compounds in cysteine/reducing sugar/Starch mixtures during extrusion cooking. J. Agric. Food Chem. 49:1885-1894. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0012547
- Ba, H. V., M. C. Oliveros, K. S. Ryu and I. H. Hwang. 2010. Development of analysis condition and detection of volatile compounds from cooked beef by SPME-GC/MS analysis. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 30:73-86. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.1.73
- Bading, H. T. 1970. Cold - storage defects in butter and their relation to the autoxidation of unsaturated fatty acids. Med. Melk-Zuiveltijdschr. 24:147-171.
- Bauer, K. and D. Garbe. 1985. Common fragrance and flavor materials preparation: properties and uses. Deerfield Beach, VCH publisher Inc.
- Braggins, T. J. 1996. Effect of stress-related changes in sheep meat ultimate PH on cooked odor and flavor. Food Chem. 44:2352-2360. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf960136+
- Bredie, W. L. P., D. S. Mottram and R. C. E. Guy. 1998. Aroma volatiles generated during extrusion cooking of maize flour. J. Agric. Food Chem. 46:1479-1487. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9708857
- Cerny, C. and W. Grosch. 1992. Evaluations of potent odorants in roasted beef by aroma extract dilution analysis. Zeitschrift fur Lebensmitteluntersuchung und Forschung A. 194:322-325. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01193213
- Cho, W. B., M. C. Oliveros, K. M. Park, K. T. Do, K. H. Lee, K. S. Seo, J. G. Choi, M. J. Lee, B. C. Choi, K. S. Ryu and I. H. Hwang. 2009. Objective and subjective quality characteristics of pork longissimus muscle as a function of the ultimate pH. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 6:685-694. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2009.29.6.685
- Choi, U. K., D. H. Son, W. D. Ji, M. H. Im, J. D. Choi and Y. G. Chung. 1998. Changes of taste components and palatability during Chungukjang fermentation by Bacillus subtilis DC-2. J. Kr. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 27:840-845.
- Chou, C. C. and C. H. Hwan. 1994. Effect of ethanol on the hydrolysis of protein and lipid during the ageing of Chinese fermented soya bean curds (sufu). J. Sci. Food Agric. 66:393-398. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740660318
- Chung, H. Y. 2000. Volatile flavor components in red fermented soybean (Glycine max) curds. J. Agric. Food Chem. 48:1803-1809. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf991272s
- Chung, J. and E. O. Choe. 2001. Effects of sesame oil on thermooxidative stability of soybean oil. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 10:446-450.
- Czerny, M. and P. Schieberle. 2005. Labeling studies on pathways of odorant generation by Saccharomyces cerevisiae in wheat bread doughs. In: Proceeding of the 11th Weurman Flavor Research Symposium (Lecture No. 11), Denmark.
- Elmore, J. S., D. S. Mottram, M. Enser and J. D. Wood. 1999. Effect of the polyunsaturated fatty acid composition of beef muscle on the profile of aroma volatiles. J. Agric. Food Chem. 47:1619-1625. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980718m
- Elmore, J. S., H. E. Warren, D. S. Mottram, N. D. Scollan, M. Enser, R. I. Richardson and J. D. Wood. 2004. A comparison of the aroma volatiles and fatty acid compositions of grilled beef muscle from Aberdeen Angus and Holstein-Friesian steers fed diets based on silage or concentrates. Meat Sci. 68:27-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.01.010
- Elmore, J. S., M. M. Campo, M. Enser and D. S. Mottram. 2002. Effect of Lipid composition on Meat-like model systems containing cystein, ribose and polyunsaturated fatty acids. J. Agric. Food Chem. 50:1126-1132. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0108718
- Grosch, W. 1982. Lipid degradation products and flavor. In: Food Flavors (Ed. I. D. Morton and A. J. MacLeod). Elsevier, Amsterdam. pp. 325-386.
- Guen, S. L., C. Prost and M. Demaimay. 2000. Critical comparison of three olfactometric methods for identification of the most potent odorants in cooked mussels (Mytilus edulis). J. Agric. Food Chem. 4:1307-1314.
- Ho, C. T. and J. T. Carlin. 1989. Formation and aroma characteristics of heterocyclic compounds in foods. In: Flavor chemistry, trends and development (Ed. R. Teranishi, R. G. Buttery and F. Shahidi). Washington, DC, American chemical society. pp. 92-104.
- Huang, T. C. and C. T. Ho. 2001. Flavors of meat products. In: Meat Science and Application (Ed. Y. H. Hui, W. K. Nip, R. W. Roger and O. A. Young). Marcel Dekker, Inc. pp.71-102.
- Hwang, Y. H., G. D. Kim, J. Y. Jeong, S. J. Hur and S. T. Joo. 2010. The relationship between muscle fiber characteristics and meat quality traits of highly marbled Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) steers. Meat Sci. 86:456-461. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.034
- Jung, M. Y., J. Y. Bock, S. O. Back, T. K. Lee and J. H. Kim. 1997. Pyrazine contents and oxidative stabilities of roasted soybean oil. Food Chem. 1:95-102.
- Jung, Soon Teck and Kang, Seong-Gook. 2002. "The Past and Present of Traditional Fermented Foods in Korea". http://www.miyajima-soy.co.jp/science/kouenkai/kouenkai.htm
- Kim, C. J. and E. S. Lee. 2003. Effects of quality grade on the chemical, physical and sensory characteristics of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) beef. Meat Sci. 63:397-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00099-2
- Kim, D. H., Y. K. Kim, Y. H. Chung, Y. M. Yoo and B. Y. Park. 1993. A study on the consumer's attitude to beef: 1. Consumer's purchasing pattern and preference. RDA J. Agric Sci. 35:598-601.
- Lee, D. S., B. S. Noh, S. Y. Bae and K. Kim. 1998. Characterization of fatty acids composition in vegetable oils by gas chromatography and chemometrics. Anal. Chim. Acta. 358:163-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(97)00574-6
- Lee, S. J. and B. M. Ahn. 2009. Comparison of volatile components in fermented soybean pastes using simultaneous distillation and extraction (SDE) with sensory characterization. Food Chem. 114:600-609. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.09.091
- Lim, J. Y., J. J. Kim, D. S. Lee, G. H. Kim, J. Y. Shim, I. H. Lee and J. Y. Imm. 2010. Physicochemical characteristics and production of whole soymilk from Monascus fermented soybeans. Food Chem. 120:255-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.10.017
- Machiels, D., L. Istasse and S. M. van Ruth. 2004. Gas chromatography-olfactometry analysis of beef meat originating from differently fed Belgian Blue, Limousin and Aberdeen Angus bulls. Food Chem. 86:377-3831. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2003.09.011
- Machiels, D., S. M. van Ruth, M. A. Posthumus and L. Istasse. 2003. Gas chromatography-olfactometry analysis of the volatile compounds of two commercial Irish beef meats. Talanta 60:755-764 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0039-9140(03)00133-4
- MacLeod, G. 1994. The flavor of beef. In: Flavor of meat and meat products (Ed. F. Shahidi). Glasgow, Chapman and Hall. pp. 4-37.
- Madruga, M. S. and D. S. Mottram. 1995. The effect of PH on the formation of Maillard-derived aroma volatiles using a cooked meat system. J. Sci. Food Agric. 68:305-310. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740680308
- Mottram, D. S. 1994. Some aspects of the chemistry of meat flavor. In the flavor of meat and meat products (Ed. F. Shahidi). Blackie, Glasgow. pp. 210-230.
- Panjono, S. M. Kang, I. S. Lee and S. K. Lee. 2009. Carcass characteristics of Hanwoo (Korean cattle) from different sex conditions, raising altitudes and slaughter seasons. Livest. Sci. 123:283-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2008.11.024
- Park, M. K., I. H. Cho, S. Lee, H. K. Choi, D. Y. Kwon and Y. S. Kim. 2010. Metabolite profiling of Cheongukjang, a fermented soybean paste, during fermentation by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry and principal component analysis. Food Chem. 122:1313-1319. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.03.095
- Robbins, K., J. Jensen, K. J. Ryan, C. Homco-Ryan, F. K. McKeith and M. S. Brewer. 2003. Consumer attitudes towards beef and acceptability of enhanced beef. Meat Sci. 65:721-729. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00274-7
- Savell, J. W., R. E. Branson, H. R. Cross, D. M. Stiffler, J. W. Wise, D. B. Griffin and G. C. Smith. 1987. National consumer retail beef study: palatability evaluations of beef loin steaks that differed in marbling. J. Food Sci. 52:517-519. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1987.tb06664.x
- Schieberle, P. 1996. Odor-active compounds in moderately roasted sesame. Food Chem. 2:145-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(77)90028-0
- Shi, H. and C. T. Ho. 1994. Flavor of poultry meat. In: the flavor of meat and meat products (Ed. F. Shahidi). Blackie Glasgow pp. 52-71.
- Shimoda, M., H. Shiratsuchi, Y. Nakada, Y. Wu and Y. Osajima. 1996. Identification and sensory characterization of volatile flavor compounds in sesame seed oil. J. Agric. Food Chem. 44:3909-3912. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf960115f
- Shimoda, M., Y. Nakada, M. Nakashima and Y. Osajima. 1997. Quantitative comparison of volatile flavor compounds in deep-roasted and light-roasted sesame seed oil. J. Agric. Food Chem. 45:3193-3196. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf970172o
- Shukla, S., T. B. Choi, H. K. Park, M. H. Kim, I. K. Lee and J. K. Kim. 2010. Determination of non-volatile and volatile organic acids in Korean traditional fermented soybean paste (Doenjang). Food Chem. Toxicol. 48:2005-2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2010.04.034
- Sonntag, N. O. V. 1981. Composition and characteristics of individual fats and oils. In: Bailey's Industrial Oil and Fat Products (Ed. D. Swern, John Wiley and Sons). Inc, New York. pp. 289-477.
- Whitfield, F. B. 1992. Volatiles from interactions of Maillard reactions and lipids. CRC Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 31:1-58.
- Xie, J. C., B. G. Sun and S. B. Wang. 2008. Aromatic constituents from Chinese traditional smoke-cured bacon of mini-pig. Food Sci. Technol. Int. 14:329-340. https://doi.org/10.1177/1082013208098331
- Zhao, J. X., X. J. Dai, X. M. Liu, H. Zhang, J. Tang and W. Chen. 2011. Comparison of aroma compounds in naturally fermented and inoculated Chinese soybean pastes by GC-MS and GC-Olfactometry analysis. Food Control 22:1008-1013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2010.11.023
- Prevention of a dangerous tendency in the presentation of the results of GC-MS identification vol.405, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-013-6751-2
- Effect of muscle type and vacuum chiller ageing period on the chemical compositions, meat quality, sensory attributes and volatile compounds of Korean native cattle beef vol.85, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12100
- Effect of Particular Breed on the Chemical Composition, Texture, Color, and Sensorial Characteristics of Dry-cured Ham vol.27, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13770
- Effect of marbling and chilled ageing on meat-quality traits, volatile compounds and sensory characteristics of beef longissimus dorsi muscle vol.57, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN15676
- Comparison of reducing sugar content, sensory traits, and fatty acids and volatile compound profiles of the longissimus thoracis among Korean cattle, Holsteins, and Angus steers vol.32, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.18.0065