- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Spent Mushroom Substrate Influences Elk (Cervus Elaphus Canadensis) Hematological and Serum Biochemical Parameters
- Park, Jae-Hong (Animal Genetic Resources Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Sang-Woo (Animal Genetic Resources Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Do, Yoon-Jung (Animal Genetic Resources Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Hyun (Animal Genetic Resources Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Ko, Yeoung-Gyu (Animal Genetic Resources Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Yang, Boh-Suk (Animal Genetic Resources Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Shin, Dae-Keun (Swine Science and Technology Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Cho, Young-Moo (Animal Genetic Resources Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA)
- Received : 2011.09.14
- Accepted : 2011.12.07
- Published : 2012.03.01
The objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of spent mushroom substrate (SMS) derived from Pleurotus eryngii on the hematological and biochemical blood properties of elk. A total of 18, two and three-year-old elk were fed three different levels of SMS (0, 15 and 20%) in a corn-wheat bran diet for 80 days. The results indicated significantly high levels of blood monocytes, hemoglobin (Hb), and hematocrit (HCT) in elk fed 15% or 20% SMS (p<0.05) compared to control animals. Serum blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and glucose concentrations were also significantly elevated in elk fed both 15% and 20% SMS. The inclusion of SMS in the elk diet did not affect serum total cholesterol, triglyceride, or low density lipoprotein (LDL)-cholesterol concentrations; however, high density lipoprotein (HDL)-cholesterol concentration was significantly increased in SMS-fed groups. In addition, 20% SMS in the diet increased serum iron and testosterone concentrations in elk. These results indicate that adding SMS to the diet of elk can increase their Hgb, serum BUN, glucose, and HDL-cholesterol concentration; therefore, diets containing SMS may enhance the physiologic condition of elk during growth.
Spent Mushroom Substrate;Recycling;Blood Components;Elk
- Adamovic, M., G. Grubic, I. Milenkovic, R. Jovanovic, R. Protic, L. Sretenovic and L. Stoicevic. 1998. The biodegradation of wheat straw by Pleurotus Ostreatus mushrooms and its use in cattle feeding. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 71:357-362. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00150-8
- AOAC. 2000. Official method of analysis. 17th Edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Bobek, P., O. Ozdin and M. Mikus. 1995. Dietary oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) accelerates plasma cholesterol turnover in hypercholesterolaemic rats. Physiol. Res. 44:287-291.
- Brunetti, G., P. Soler-Rovira, F. Matarrese and N. Senesi. 2009. Composition and structural characteristics of humified fractions during the co-composting process of spent mushroom substrate and wheat straw. J. Agric. Food Chem. 57:10859-10865. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf903014f
- Choi, S. J., Y. S. Lee, J. K. Kim, J. K. Kim and S. S. Lim. 2010. Physiological activities of extract from edible mushrooms. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 39:1087-1096. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.8.1087
- Diyabalanage, T., V. Mulabagal, G. Mills, D. L. DeWitt and M. G. Nair. 2008. Health-beneficial qualities of the edible mushroom Agrocybe aegerita. Food Chem. 108:97-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.10.049
- Edwards, C. A. and J. E. Baxter. 1992. The use of earthworms in environmental management. Soil Biol. Biochem. 24:1683-1689. https://doi.org/10.1016/0038-0717(92)90170-3
- Forestnews. 2011. http://sanlim.kr, accessed Aug. 9. 2011.
- Fukushima, M., T. Ohashi, Y. Fujiwara, K. Sonoyama and M. Nakano. 2001. Cholesterol-lowering effects of maitake (Grifola frondosa) fiber, shiitake (Lentinus edodes) fiber, and enokitake (Flammulina velutipes) fiber in rats. Exp. Biol. Med. (Maywood) 226:758-765.
- Fukushima, M., Y. Nakano, Y. Morii, T. Ohashi, Y. Fujiwara and K. Sonoyama. 2000. Hepatic LDL receptor mRNA in rats is increased by dietary mushroom (Agraicus bisporous) fiber and sugar beet fiber. J. Nutr. 130:2151-2156.
- Grube, B. J., E. T. Eng, Y. C. Kao, A. Kwon and S. Chen. 2001. White button mushroom phytochemicals inhibit aromatase activity and breast cancer cell proliferation. J. Nutr. 131:3288-3293.
- Herrero-Hernandez, E., M. S. Andrades, M. S. Rodriguez-Cruz and M. J. Sanchez-Martin. 2011. Effect of spent mushroom substrate applied to vineyard soil on the behaviour of copper-based fungicide residues. J. Environ. Manage. 92:1849-1857. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2011.03.011
- Karnezos, T. P., A. G. Matches, R. L. Preston and C. P. Brown. 1994. Corn supplementation of lambs grazing alfalfa. J. Anim. Sci. 72:783-789.
- Kim, Y. I., J. S. Seok and W. S. Kwak. 2010. Evaluation of microbially ensiled spent mushroom (Pleurotus osteratus) substrates (Bed-Type Cultivation) as a roughage for ruminants. Korean J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 52:117-124. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.2.117
- Lee, S. M., J. H. Hwang, Y. B. Yoon, W. S. Kwak, Y. I. Kim, S. H. Moo and B. T. Jeon. 2008. Effects of spent mushroom substrates addition on eating behavior of growing Hanwoo. J. Kor. Grassl. Forage Sci. 28:107-117. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2008.28.2.107
- Lull, C., H. J. Wichers and H. F. J. Savelkoul. 2005. Antiinflammatory and immunomodulating properties of fungal metabolites. Mediators Inflamm. 2005:63-80. https://doi.org/10.1155/MI.2005.63
- Marin-Benito, J. M., M. J. Sanchez-Martin, M. S. Andrades, M. Perez-Clavijo and M. S. Rodriguez-Cruz. 2009. Effect of spent mushroom substrate amendment of vineyard soils on the behavior of fungicides: 1. Adsorption-desorption of penconazole and metalaxyl by soils and subsoils. J. Agric. Food Chem. 57:9634-9642. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf902108n
- Mizuno, M., M. Morimoto, K. Minato and H. Tsuchida. 1998. Polysaccharides from Agaricus blazei stimulate lymphocyte T-cell subsets in mice. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 62:434-437. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.62.434
- Nakajima, A., T. Ishida, M. Koga and M. Takeuchi. 2002. Effect of hot water extract from Agaricus blazei Murill on antibody-producing cells in mice. Int. Immunopharmacol. 2:1205-1211. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1567-5769(02)00056-5
- Oh, Y. K., W. M. Lee, C. W. Choi, K. H. Kim, S. K. Hong, S. C. Lee, Y. J. Seol, W. S. Kwak and N. J. Choi. 2010. Effects of spent mushroom substrates supplementation on rumen fermentation and blood metabolites in Hanwoo steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23:1608-1613. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.10200
- Regula, J., Z. Krejpcio and H. Staniek. 2010. Bioavailability of iron from cereal products enriched with dried shittake mushrooms (Lentinula edodes) as determined by iron regeneration efficacy method in female rats. J. Med. Food 13:1189-1194. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2009.0200
- Silvana, A., M. J. Pianzzola, M. Soubes and M. P. Cerdeiras. 2006. Biodegradation of agroindustrial wastes by Pleurotus spp. for its use as ruminant feed. Electron. J. Biotechnol. 9:215-220.
- Tajbakhsh, J., M. A. Abdoli, E. Mohammadi Goltapeh, I. Alahdadi and M. J. Malakouti. 2008. Recycling of spent mushroom compost using earthworms Eisenia foetida and Eisenia Andrei. Environmentalist 28:476-482. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10669-008-9172-6
- Volman, J. J., J. D. Ramakers and J. Plat. 2008. Dietary modulation of immune function by beta-glucans. Physiol. Behav. 23:276-284.
- Xu, C., Y. Cai, J. Zhang and H. Matsuyama. 2010. Feeding value of total mixed ration silage with spent mushroom substrate. Anim. Sci. J. 81:194-198. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2009.00728.x
- Yoshioka, Y., R. Tabeta, H. Saito, N. Uehara and F. Fukuoka. 1985. Antitumor polysaccharides from P. ostreatus (Fr.) Quel. Isolation and structure of a beta-gulcan. Carbohydr. Res. 140: 93-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-6215(85)85052-7
- Effect of sex and seasons of the year on hematologic and serum biochemical variables of captive brown brocket deer (Mazama gouazoubira) vol.33, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-736X2013001100013
- Effects of spent mushroom compost meal on growth performance and meat characteristics of grower geese vol.45, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-92902016000600001
- Environmentally sustainable applications of agro-based spent mushroom substrate (SMS): an overview vol.20, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10163-018-0739-0