- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Self-esteem and Mental Health of College Student in Some Regions
일부지역 대학생들의 자아존중감과 정신건강간의 관계
- Yu, Eun-Yeong (Department of Health Administration, Gwangju Health College University) ;
- Yoon, Chi-Keun (Department of Health Administration, Wonkwang University) ;
- Yang, Yu-Jeong (Department of Medicine Management, Chodang University)
- Received : 2011.10.31
- Accepted : 2012.01.05
- Published : 2012.01.31
This study investigates the relationship between self-esteem and mental health of college students. The data collected is to be utilized to promote effect methods of education and consultation that will improve the self-esteem and mental health of college students. There were a total of 468 questionnaires were distributed and collected from 2 universities and 3 community colleges between October 2nd and December 2nd 2010. The results of data analysis were as follows: First, there were no significant differences in the relationships between general characteristics and the perceptual self, the evaluative self, and self-esteem. Second, there were significant differences in the relationship between general characteristics and mental health according to economic situation, the year of entering college, satisfaction with your department, relationship with fellow classmates, and health status with regards to low mental health. Third, there was a partial correlation between perceptual self, evaluative self, and self-esteem. Perceptual self, evaluative self, and self-esteem were inversely related to obsessive compulsiveness, hostility, interpersonal sensitivity, physical, anxiety, delusional disorder, and psychosis. In conclusion, the results of this study would be used as the foundation for improving the self-esteem of college students and easing mental health with the development and implementation of a formal education program. It is also recognized that follow studies should be conducted to understand additional effects.
- Kim, SY, Cha, BJ, Park, JY & Kam, S, "Relationship between Mental health and Social Support of Junior College Students", The Korean Society of School Health, 8(2), pp. 277-291, 1995.
- Suk, MH & Park, JW, "A study of the Relationship between perceived stress, self respect & stress response in high school students", Korea Academy of Community Health Nursing, 11(2), pp. 556-565, 2000.
- Choi, MS, "A study of the relationship between selfesteem and mental health of high school students", Kong- ju National graduate school for Counseling Psychology, 1994.
- Kim. EJ, "A Correlational study of the self-esteem and the professional self-concept of students of college of nursing", The New Medical Journal, 40(11), pp. 68-74, 1997.
- Rosenberg, M., "Society and the adolescent selfimage". Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1965.
- Chun, BJ, "A study on The self-concept", Humanities, 29, pp. 103-127, 1972.
- Kim, SR, "A Study on the nursing college students' self-concepts and academic achievement", Red cross college of nursing, 14(1), pp. 1-43, 1992.
- Troll, L. E. & Skaff, M. M., "Perceived continuity of self in very old age", Psychology and Aging, 12, pp. 162-169, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0882-79184.108.40.206
- Cheng, H. & Fumham, A., "Personality, self- esteem and demographic of happiness and depress and. Personality and Individual Differences", 34, pp. 921-942, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(02)00078-8
- Kim. HS, "Effects of Self-Esteem and Academic Achievement on Mental Health of High School Students", Gyeongsang graduate school for Education Psychology, 1996.
- Hong, JW, "The effect of self-esteem and social support on the mental health of the elderly", Ewha Women's graduate school for Health Education, 1999.
- Reitzes, D.C., et al., "Preretirement Influence on Postretirement Self- Esteem", Journal of Gerontology, 51B(5), pp. 242-249, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/51B.5.S242
- Rim, EH, "A study on the relations of self-concept and school achievement to mental health", Sookmyung Women's graduate school for Education Psychology, 1997.
- Lee, MH, "Effects of Human Potential Seminar on the Mental Health and Self-Concept Among Juvenile Delinquents", Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 9(1), pp. 19, 2000.
- Um, MR,"A Study on the Relationship between Self-Actualization and Mental Health of Nursing Students", Seoul National University graduate school for Nursing, 1993.
- Yang, SH, "A Study on the Relationship between Self-Concept and the Mental Health of Nursing Students in Junior College in Some Area", Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 10(3), pp. 376-390, 2001.
- Choi, JH, " Perceptual Psychology", Eulyoo Publishing, 1971.
- Rosenberg, M., "Society and personality", New York: Harper & Row, 1965.
- Kim, KI, Won. HT, Lee JH & Kim KY, "Standardization Study of Symptom Check List-90 in Korea I", Korean Neuro Psychiatric Association, 17(4), pp. 449-458, 1978.
- Lee, HG, "External-Internal Control proneness of the elementary, middle and high school students in Korean", The Study of student Life, Chungbuk University Students Life Research Center. 5, pp. 30-55, 1986.
- An, HJ & Chung, BY, "Self-Esteem and Social Anxiety of Nursing Student", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, 12(2), pp. 224-228, 2006.
- Kang, JH & Yang, SH, "A Correlation Study on the Self-Concept and Views on Nursing Profession of Nursing Students", The New Medical Journal, 42(8), pp. 39-51, 1999.
- Ham, YH & Kim. SN, "The study of situational anxiety and self-esteem of nursing students in pre-clinical practice", Kyongbuk Science University journal, 8, pp. 45-54, 2001.
- Kim. DH & Hwang, GE, "A Study on the Relationship between Level of Self-Esteem, Life Satisfaction and Health Status of Rural and Urban Elderly people", Journal of Special Education, 21, pp. 95-12, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1177/088840649802100204
- Moon, HC & Kim. JO, "Human relationship and mental health of freshmen university" Seoul Institute for Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, 31(1), pp. 55-71, 1996.
- Choi, SM, "A comparative study on the college adjustment and mental health of the university students of Korea and China", Yonsei graduate school for Education, 1999.
- Erwin P., "Friendship in childhood and adolescence". New York Routledge, 1998.
- Newcomb A.F. & Bagewell C.L, " The developmental significance of children's friendship relations. In The Company They Keep. Bukowski WM, Newcomb AF, Hartup WW(Eds)", Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, pp. 289-321, 1996.
- Yu, JH & Lee, MH, "A Study on the Mental Health of '2002 Freshmen", Hanyang University, Journal of Student Guidance Research, 20, pp. 121-142, 2002.
- Park, GJ & Lee, CH, "An Analysis of Various Factors Influencing on Mental Health", Hyosung Women's University, Journal of student guidance, 9, 1991.
- Choi, EY & Choi, IR," A Study on the Relation Between Self Esteem and Mental Health in Middle School Students", The Korean Society of School Health, 15(1), pp. 63-72, 2002.
- Coopersmith, S., "The Antecedent of Self -Esteem San Francisco : Freeman: 1967.
- Kaplan, B.H., " Deviant behavior in defense of self". New York : Academic Press: 1980.
- Kim. CD, Oh .GO & Kim. TS, "A Comparative Study on the Stress, Coping Method, and Mental Health of the Nursing College Students in Korea and China", Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 17(1), pp. 75-84, 2008.
- Shrauger, J. S., & Terbovic, M. S., "Self-evaluation and Assessments of performance by self and others", Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 44, pp. 564-572, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.44.4.564
- Kim, GE., "The Relation of parental evaluation of children, self-esteem and child-rearing attitudes to children's self-esteem", Pusan National University graduate school, 1987
- Kaluger, G. & Kaluger, M.F., "Human Development: The Span of Life, Second Edition", St. Louis: The C.V. Mosby Company, 1979.
- Mussen, P.H., Conger, J.J., & Kagan, J., " Child development and personality.(5th ed)", New York: Harper & Row, 1979.
- Relations of Self-assertiveness, Self-esteem, Depression and Abnormal Eating Attitudes among Female University Students with Weight Control Experience vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.2207