- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Correlation between Activity Ability and Participation in Children with Cerebral Palsy
뇌성마비 아동의 활동 능력과 참여 사이의 상관관계
- Kim, Ji-Young (Busan St. Mary's Medical Center) ;
- Kim, Hun-Ju (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Dongju College) ;
- An, Sun-Jung (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Inje University) ;
- Kam, Kyung-Yoon (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Inje University)
- 김지영 (부산성모병원 재활의학과 작업치료실) ;
- 김훈주 (동주대학교 작업치료과) ;
- 안선정 (인제대학교 의생명공학대학 작업치료학과) ;
- 감경윤 (인제대학교 의생명공학대학 작업치료학과)
- Received : 2011.10.25
- Accepted : 2012.01.05
- Published : 2012.01.31
This study was performed to search for correlation between activity limitation level and participation restriction of children with cerebral palsy by investigating the activity limitation level through the use of the GMFCS E&R and the MACS and by figuring out participation restriction level through questionnaire survey. This study was performed, from May 1, 2010 to August 31, 2010, on 152 children with cerebral palsy ranging from 4 to 12 years, who are receiving rehabilitation therapy in the hospitals and community clinics in Busan and Gyeongnam province. The levels of activity limitation were assessed by using GMFCS E&R and MACS, and a questionnaire survey was conducted for participation restriction of the participating children. Spearman rank correlation was used for correlation analysis with the statistical software, SPSS 12.0. Majority of the children scored level 5 in both GMFCS E&R and MACS which is high frequency of activity limitation levels. Children in these levels also showed severe or complete participation restriction for mobility, education, and social relations. The analysis showed a significantly positive correlation between activity limitation level and participation restriction. Therefore this study may be useful in assessing the functional movement component of participation in children with cerebral palsy and developing the intervention plan for participation.
- Ro, H. L., Kim, C. S., "A Study of Needs of families with Cerebral Palsied children Participating in Physical Therapy Intervention", KSPT, 14(2), pp11-18, 2002.
- Nelson, K., Russman B., "Cerebral palsy" St. Louis, MO: Mosby, pp.471-488, 2002.
- Kim, J. G., Kim, H. R., Shin, Y. I., "The Relationship Manual Ability and Functional Capability for Children with Cerebral Palsy", KSOT, 19(1), pp83-91, 2011.
- World Health Organization(WHO). (2001). World Health organization international classification of functioning, disability, and health. Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Mandich, A. D., Polatajko, H. J., & Rodger, S., "Rites of passage: Understanding participation of children with developmental coordination disorder", Hum Mov Sci, 22(4-5), pp538-595, 2003.
- Palisano, R., Rosenbaum, P., Bartlett, D., & Livingston, M. H., "Content validity of the expanded and revised Gross Motor Function Classification System", Dev Med Child Neurol, 50(10), pp744-750, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2008.03089.x
- Eliasson, A. C., Krumlinde-Sundholm, L., Rosblad, B., Beckung, E., Arner, M., Ohrvall, A. M., et al., "Using the MACS to facilitation communication about manual abilities of children with cerebral palsy", Dev Med Child Neurol, 49(2), pp156-157, 2007.
- Ostensjø, S., Carlberg, E. B., & Vøllestad, N. K., "Motor impairments in young children with cerebral palsy: relationship to gross motor function and everyday activities", Dev Med Child Neurol, 46(9), pp580-589, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2004.tb01021.x
- Poulsen, A. A., Ziviani, J. M., Cuskelly, M., & Smith, R., "Boys with developmental coordination disorder: loneliness and team sports participation", Am J Occup Ther, 61(4), pp451-462, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.61.4.451
- Palisano, R. J., Orlin, M., Chiarello, L. A., Oeffinger, D., Polansky, M., Maggs, J., et al., "Determinants of intensity of participation in leisure and recreational activities by youth with cerebral palsy", Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 92(9), pp1468-1476, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2011.04.007
- Palisano, R., Rosenbaun, P., Walter, S., Russell, D., Wood, E., & Galuppi, B., "Development and reliability of a system to classify gross motor function in children with cerebral palsy", Dev Med Child Neurol, 39(4), pp214-223, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.1997.tb07414.x
- Eliasson, A. C., Krumlined-Sundholm, L, M., Rösblad, B., Beckung, E., Arner, M., Ohrvall, A. M., et al., "The Manual Ability Classification System (MACS) for children with cerebral palsy: Scale development and evidence of validity and reliability", Dev Med Child Neurol, 48(7), pp9-554, 2006.
- Carnahan, K. D., Arner, M., & Hägglund, G., "Association between gross motor function(GMFCS) and manual ability (MACS)in children with cerebral plasy: A population-based study of 359 children", BMC Musculoskelet Disord, 18(1), pp50-56, 2007.
- Morris, C., Galuppi, B. E., & Rosenbaum, P. L., "Reliability of family report for the GMFCS", Dev Med Child Neurol, 46(7), pp455-460, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2004.tb00505.x
- Beckung, E., & Hagberg, G., "Neuroimpairments, Activity Limitations and Participation Restrictions in children with cerebral palsy", Dev Med Child Neurol, 44(5), pp309-316, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2002.tb00816.x
- American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA)., "Occupational therapy practice framework: Domain and process", Am J Occup Ther, 56(6), pp609-639, 2002. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.56.6.609
- Cho, S. M., Oh, D. W., Kim, S. Y., Choi , J. D., "A Study of the Quality of Life and Participation in Everyday Activities for School-aged Children With Cerebral Palsy", KSOT, 18(2), pp95-106, 2010.
- Arnaud, C., White-Koning, M., Michelsen, S. I., Parkes, J., Parkinson, K., Thyen, U., et al., "Parent reported quality of life of children with cerebral palsy in Europe", Pediatrics, 121(1), pp54-64, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2007-0854
- Cho, S. M., Oh, D. W., Kim, S. Y., "Comparison of Parent-reported Quality of Life Associated with Functional Levels in School-aged Children With Cerebral palsy", KSOT, 17(1), pp29-37, 2009.
- Kielhofner, G., "A model of human occupation theory and application. (3rd ed.)" Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2007.
- Law, M., "Participation in the occupations of everyday life", Am J Occup Thery, 56(6), pp640-649, 2002. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.56.6.640