- Volume 27 Issue 1
Objectives : This study was performed to investigate effect of evodiae fructus on acute reflux esophigitis rat induced by pylorus and forestomach ligation operation. Methods : Twenty-four laboratory rats were divided four groups and each group had six rats ; normal intact group, acute reflux esophagitis (RE) control group, two experiment RE group treated extract of evodiae fructus 600 mg/kg (EEF600) and 300 mg/kg (EEF300). All rats was fasted for 18 hr but free water, we induced RE by pylorus and forestomach ligation operation. Intact group and RE control group rats were orally administered a distilled water and two experiment groups were orally administed with EEF 600 mg/5ml/kg and 300 mg/5ml/kg. One hour after, rats were anesthetized, intact group was cut the abdomen open and sutured with 2.0 silk thread. RE control group and EEF group were cut the abdomen open, ligated pyloric canal and forestomach with 2.0 silk thread and sutured. Six hour after the operation, rats were sacrified, collected bloods in the abdominal vein, disectted a esophagus and stomach. The stomach was washed a 1 ml PBS and the esophagus was cut longitudinally and pictured a innter mucosa area to research damages in esophagus. Results : The esophagic tissue damage percentage of reflux esophagitis rat was increased compared to that of normal intact group. But esophagic damage percentage of EEF 600 were significantly decreased compared to that of RE control group. But there was no difference on gastric juice pH between control RE, alpha-tocopherol administration rat group and EEF administration rat group. In esophagus of RE control rat, gastric damage occurred severely and injury percentage of mucosa were increased, but EEF 600 mucous inflammatory damage percentage was significantly compared to that of RE control group. Proinflammatory cytokines such as TNF-alpha, IL-1beta and IL-6 in serum on RE control group were markedly grew than those of intact rat, those of vechicle group treated with EEF 600 and EEF 300 were remarkably decreased compared to production of proinflammatory cytokine of RE control group. In microscopic observation, intact group rat had no hyperemia, mucous injury and exclusion, ulcer and edema. But it could showed mucosa damages, submucosa edema and ulcer in RE control. However, administration of EEF 600 and EEF 300 made esophagus have less inflammation and injury by gastric acid. Conclusions : The results suggest that antiinflammatory Effect of EEF could attenuate the severity of reflux esophagitis and prevent the esophageal mucosal damage, and validate its therapeutic use in esophageal reflux disease.
Evodiae Fructus;reflux esophagitis;TNF-alpha;IL-1beta;Pylorus and forestomach ligation
- The whole country a college of Oriental medicine. The joint textbook publish commission compilation. Herbalogy. seoul:younglimsa. 2007:379-380.
- Fei XF, Wang BX, Li TJ, Tashiro S, Minami M, Xing DJ, Ikejima T. Evodiamine, a constituent of Evodiae Fructus, induces anti-proliferating Effect in tumor cells. Cancer Science. 2003;94(1):92-98. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2003.tb01358.x
- Ko HC, Wang YH, Liou KT, Chen CM, Chen CH, Wang WY,Chang S,Hou YC, Chen KT, Chen CF, Shen YC. Anti-inflammatory Effect and mechanisms of the ethanol extract of Evodia rutaecarpa and its bioactive components on neutrophils and microglial cells. European Journal of Pharmacology. 2007;555(2-3):211-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2006.10.002
- Chuang WC, Chu CY, Sheu SJ. Determination of the alkaloids in Evodiae Fructus by highperformance liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A. 1996;727(2):317-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9673(95)01220-6
- Zhao MY and Yang XW. Optimization of the Extraction Conditions and Simultaneous Quantification by RP-LC of Six Alkaloids in Evodiae Fructus. Chromatographia. 2008;67(7-8):543-550. https://doi.org/10.1365/s10337-008-0543-4
- Yu LL, Liao JF, Chen CF. Effect of the crude extract of Evodiae Fructus on the intestinal transit in mice. Planta Medica. 1994;60:308-312. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-959490
- Wu CL, Hung CR, Chang FY, Lin LC, Pau KY, Wang PS. Effect of evodiamine on gastrointestinal motility in male rats. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 2002;457:169-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-2999(02)02687-0
- Kobayashi Y. The nociceptive and anti-nociceptive Effect of evodiamine from fruits of Evodia rutaecarpa in mice. Planta Med. 2003;69:425-428. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2003-39701
- Wong KK. Lack of calcium-antagonist activity of dehydroevodiamine on the chronotropic and ionotropic activites of mouse isolated atria. Planta Medica. 1996;62:246-249. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-957869
- Chiou WF, Chou CJ, Liao JF, Shamb Andrew YC, Chen Chieh-Fu. The mechanism of the vasodilator Effect of rutaecarpine, an alkaloid isolated from Evodia rutaecarpa. European Journal of Pharmacology. 1994;257(1-2):59-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-2999(94)90694-7
- King CL, Kong YC, Wong NS, Yeung HW, Fong HS, Sankawa U. Uterotonic effect of Evodiae rutaecarpa alkaloids. Journal of Natural Products. 1980;43:577-582. https://doi.org/10.1021/np50011a008
- Cho-Hwa Liao1, Shiow-Lin Pan1, Jih-Hwa Guh2, Ya-Ling Chang1, Hui-Chen Pai1, Chun-Hung Lin1 and Che-Ming Teng. Antitumor mechanism of evodiamine, a constituent from Chinese herb Evodiae fructus, in human multiple-drug resistant breast cancer NCI/ADR-RES cells in vitro and in vivo. Carcinogenesis (May 2005) 26 (5):968-975. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgi041
- Wang HH, Chou CJ, Liao JF, Chen CF. Dehydroevodiamine attenuates beta-amyloid peptide-induced amnesia in mice. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 2001;413:221-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-2999(00)00913-4
- Jin HZ, Lee JH, Lee D, Lee HS, Hong YS, Kim YH, Lee JJ. Quinolone alkaloids with inhibitory activity against nuclear factor of activated T cells from the fruites of Evodia rutaecarpa. Bio Pharm Bull. 2004;27:926-928. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.27.926
- Yua LL, Liaoa JF, Chenb CF. Anti-diarrheal effect of water extract of Evodiae fructus in mice. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2000;73(1-2):39-45 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(00)00267-1
- Matsuda H, Yoshikawa M, Ido Y, Kuwazima H, Tanaka T, Iinuma M, Kubo M. Anti-allergic Activities of 70% Methanol Extract of Evodiae Fructus (Fruits of Evodia rutaecarpa var. bodinieri) and Its Components. Nat Med. 1998;52(6):470-476.
- Cho MH, Shim SM, Lee SR, Mar WC, Kim GH. Effect of Evodiae fructus extracts on gene expressions related with alcohol metabolism and antioxidation in ethanol-loaded mice. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2005;43(9):1365-1371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2005.03.010
- Baek SM, Paek SH, Jahng Y, Lee YS, Kim JA, Inhibition of UVA irradiation-modulated signaling pathways by rutaecarpine, a quinazolinocarboline alkaloid, in human keratinocytes. Eur J Pharmacol. 2004;498:19-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2004.07.065
- Lee YC. Step to internal Medicine. Seoul: Jungdam Publishing, INC. 2008:63-65.
- Anthony Fauci, Eugene Braunwald, Dennis Kasper,Stephen Hauser,Dan Longo, J. Jameson,Joseph Loscalzo. The Korean Internal Medicine. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine 17th edition Vol2. Seoul:MIP. 2010:2233-2234.
- Jeon ES, Han MD, Kim HD. Antimicrobial Activity of Streptococcus mutans by Schizandrae fructus and Evodiae fructus extracts. Journal of Dental Hygiene Science. 2003;3(1):39-44.
- Jung SY, Lee SY, You TM, Anh MR, Choi HJ, Jung MW, Ryu HM, Yang JS. Studies on the Effect of Evodiae Fructus on the Cardiovascular System in N-nitro-L-arginine Methyl Esterinduced Hyoertensive Wistar Rats. YAKHAK HOEJI (藥學會誌). 1999;43(3):397-403.
- Kim JI, Choi KH, Jung SY, Yim HK, Jung MW, Park YJ, Kang JH. Effect of Evodiae Fructus on the Blood Pressure in Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats. Biomolecules & Therapeutics. 2000;8(4):305-310.
- Lee TH. Effect of Evoidiae Fructus Fractionation on the depression. Korean journal of herbology. 1998;13(1):139-145.
- Bu Il Seo, Seong Soo Roh, Jong Dae Kim. Philological Study on poisoning of Evodiae Fructus. The Journal of East-West Medicines. 2008;33(2):15-24.
- Roh YK(盧永根), Jung JC(鄭址昌), Ko GC(高啓昌), Han DS(韓大燮). Pharmacologic-Action of Essential Substance Obtained from Fruits of Evodia rutaecarpa. Korean journal of pharmacology. 1980;16(1):57-63.
- Kang CH. The Effect of Evodiae fructus on Thyroid function and Histological modification in Hypothyroidism Rat Model induced by PTU(6-Propyl,2-thiouracil). Graduate School Kyunghee University. 2008.
- Lee HJ. Anti-oxidative activity of evodiae fructus MeOH extract. Graduate School Jungang University. 2006.
- Lee YT. Anti-inflammatory Efffect of Evodiae Fructus. Graduate School Dongguk University. 2008.
- Cha KB. The Experiment Report about the effect on the Anti-cancer of Herbal-acupuncture with Evodiae Fructus Infusion Solution. Graduate School Daejeon University. 2006.
- Eksteen JA, Scott PA, Perry I, etal.Inflammationpromotes Barrett's metaplasia and cancer:a unique role for TNF-alphalpha. Eur J Cancer Prev 2001; 10:163-164. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008469-200104000-00008
- Fitzgerald RC, Abdalla S, Onwuegbusi BA, etal. Inflammatory gradient in Barrett's oesophagus implications for disease complications. Gut2002;51:316-322. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.51.3.316
- Akira S, Hirano T, Toga T And Kishimoto, T.Biology of multifunctional cytokines:IL-6 and related molecules (IL-1 and TNF). FASEB J., 1990;4:2860-2867. https://doi.org/10.1096/fasebj.4.11.2199284
- Dinarello CA. The pro-inflammatory cytokines interleukin-1 and tumour necrosis factor and treatment of the septic shock syndrome. J. Infect. Dis. 1991;163:1177-1184. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/163.6.1177
- Oppenheim JJ, Matsushima K, Yoshimura T, Leonard EJ and Neta R. Relationship between interleukin-1 (IL-1), tumor necrosis factor (TNF), and a neutrophil attracting peptide (NAP-1). Agents and Actions. 1989;16:134-140.
- Improving Effect of a Combined Extract of Rhei Rhizoma and Glycyrrhizae Rhizoma through Anti-oxidative Stress in Reflux Esophagitis rats vol.30, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2015.30.4.37.
- A Review on Clinical Studies of the Acupuncture and Moxibustion Therapy for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease in China by Searching CAJ vol.32, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14406/acu.2015.001
- Banxia Xiexin tang for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease vol.97, pp.17, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000010393
Supported by : 한국연구재단