- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Marital Adjustment Factors for International Marriages in South Korea
- Chang, Jinkyung (Dept. Family Resource Management, Sookmyung Women's University) ;
- Shin, Yookyung (Multi-cultural Family Support Center)
- Received : 2012.10.10
- Accepted : 2012.12.10
- Published : 2012.12.30
This study determined the influence of personality patterns on marital adjustments mediated by communication effectiveness for 298 international marriages in South Korea. The results are as follows: (a) The mediator effects of personality patterns and communication effectiveness on the marital adjustment of international marriages were found to be significant; in addition, a mediator path with marital adjustment as a dependent variable was verified. (b) The extroversion, agreeableness, and openness of husbands were found to have a positive effect on their communication and marital adjustment in regards to the personality patterns of international. (c) Conscientiousness was identified as the only factor that affects the marital adjustment of a wife in regards to personality patterns. The implications of this study will be discussed in the conclusion part.
Supported by : Sookmyung Women's University
- Avshalom, C., Brent, W. R., & Rebecca, L. S. (2005). Personality Development: Stability and Change. Annual Review of Psychology, 56, 453-484. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.55.090902.141913
- Benet-Martinez, V., & John, O. P. (1998). Los cincograndes across cultures and ethnic groups: Multitrait multimethod analyses of the Big Five in Spanish and English. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 75, 729-750. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1249
- Bienvenu, M. J. (1970). Measurement of marital communication, The Family Coordination, 19(1), 26-31. https://doi.org/10.2307/582142
- Bouchard, G., Lussier, Y., & Sabourin, S. (1999). Personality and marital adjustment: Utility of the Five- Factor model of personality. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 61, 651-660. https://doi.org/10.2307/353567
- Brant, R. B., & Wayne, H. D. (1997). The Relationship Between Communication Skill and Marital Satisfaction: Some Moderating Effects. Journal of Marriage and Family, 59, 884-902. https://doi.org/10.2307/353790
- Bray, J. H., & Jouriles, E. N. (1995). Treatment of marital conflict and prevention of divorce. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 21, 461-473. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-0606.1995.tb00175.x
- Buss, D. M. (1995). Psychological sex differences: Origins through sexual selection. American Psychologist, 50, 164-168. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.50.3.164
- Chang, J. K., Jeon, J. M., & Shin, Y. K. (2009). Analysis of Resilience Factors in Multi-Cultural Families Using Depth Interviews. Journal of the South Korean Home Economics Association, 47(6), 21-38.
- Choi, Y. S., Kwon, Y. H., Kim, T. S., & Woo, S. H. (2007). Adjustment in Intermarriage among South Koreans and Chinese: From Experiences of "Alienation" and "Otherness" to Pursuits of"Communication". The Journal of South Korea Family Relations, 12(2), 251-299.
- Erlene, R., Katherine, D. K., Frederick, L. C., Camille, S. R., & Daniel, L. S. (2012). Marital Satisfaction and Personality Traits in Long-Term Marriages: An Exploratory Study. Journal of Clinical Gerontologist, 35(2), 77-87. https://doi.org/10.1080/07317115.2011.639855
- Fu, X., Jessika, T., & Heather, K. (2001). Marital Happiness and Inter-Racial Marriage: A Study in a Multi-Ethnic Community in Hawaii. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 32, 47-60.
- Gottman, J. M. (1998). Psychology and the study of marital processes, Annual Review of Psychology, 49, 169-97. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.49.1.169
- Han, G. S., & Sul. D. H., (2006). Matchmaking Agency in Korea. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Hong, D. A. G., & Chae, O. H. (2007a). Family Life and Conflicts of Female International Marriage Migrant. South Korean journal of human ecology, 15(5), 729-741.
- Hong, D. A. G., & Chae, O. H. (2007b). The Values, Communication Type and Conflict of International Marriage Couple. South Korean journal of human ecology, 16(4), 195-243. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2007.16.4.733
- Hwang, M. H., & Ko, J. H. (2010). Discrepancy, Misunderstanding, and Conflict in Married Couples: The Role of Communication. The South Korean Journal of Woman Psychology, 15(4), 779-800. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2010.15.4.012
- John, P. C., Ted, L. H., & Renate, M. H. (2000). How dose Personality Matter in Marriage? An Examination of Trait Anxiety, Interpersonal Negativity, and Marital Satisfaction. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 78(2), 326-336. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1996
- Lee, G. B., & Kim, Y. S., (2006). The Examination of Mediation Effect in Sport and Exercise Research. Korean Journal of Sport Science, 17(3), 33-34.
- Karney, B. R., & Bradbury, T. N. (1997). Neuroticism, marital interaction, and the trajectory of marital satisfaction. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 72, 1075-1092. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.525
- Kenny, D. A. (1996). Models of non-independence in dyadic research. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 13, 279-294. https://doi.org/10.1177/0265407596132007
- Kim, H. M. (2006). Global Gender Politics of Cross- Border Marriage -With a focus on marriages between Korean men and Vietnamese Women. The journal of Economic And Society. 70, 10-37.
- Kim, O. N. (2006). A Study on the Factors Affecting Marital Conflicts of Immigrant Women. Family and culture, 18(3), 63-86.
- Kim. H. M. (2009). The Impact of the Working Visit System on the Korean-Chinese Migrants in South Korea.The Korea Journal of Society for Cultural Anthropology. 42(2), 35-41.
- Lee, J. E., & Yun, H. K. (2007). The Relationship of Mindfulness, Marital Communication Patterns, and Marital Satisfaction in Married Woman. The South Korean Journal of Woman Psychology, 12(3), 331-346. https://doi.org/10.18205/kpa.2007.12.3.005
- Lee, S. Y. (2007). Mediation effects in Social work research. Social Welfare Review, 12(25), 19-36.
- McCrae, R. R., & Costa, P. T. (1994). The stability of personality: Observation and evaluations. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 3, 173-175. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8721.ep10770693
- Qian, Z., & Daniel, T. L. (2007). Social Boundaries and Marital Assimilation: Interpreting Trends in Racial and Ethnic Intermarriage. American Sociological Review, 72, 68-94. https://doi.org/10.1177/000312240707200104
- Baron, M. R., & Kenny, A. D. (2001). The Moderator- Mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research: Conceptual, Strategic, and Statistical Considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1173-1182
- Richard, W. R., Avshalom, C., & Terrie, E. M. (2000). Two Personalities, One Relationship: Both Partners' Personality Traits Shape the Quality of Their Relationship. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 79(2), 251-259. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206
- Schneewind, K. A., & Anna-Katharina, G. (2002). Relationship Personality, Conflict Resolution, and Marital Satisfaction in the First 5 Years of Marriage. Family Relations, 51(1), 63-71. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3729.2002.00063.x
- Shim, H. S. (2000). A Study on Relationship of Marital Communication, Home Management Strategy and Family Life Satisfaction in Urban Housewives. Unpublished Graduate School of Sookmyung Women's University.
- Shin, G. H. (2004). A Study on the Marital Conflicts of the International Marriage-Focusing on the Couple Relationship between South Korean Men and Pilipino Women-.Unpublished University of Chosun.
- South Korea National Statistical Office. (2011). kostat.go.kr.
- Vaidya, J. G., Gray, E. K., Haig, J., & Watson, D. (2002). On the temporal stability of personality: Evidence for differential stability and the role of life experiences. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83(6), 1469-1484. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.119
- Van, D. L., Graham, J. W., & Dienesch, R. M. (1994). Organizational citizenship behavior: Construct redefinition, measurement, and validation. Academy of Management Journal, 37(4), 765-802. https://doi.org/10.2307/256600
- William, P. S., & Vicky, P. (2001). Partner Appraisal and Marital Satisfaction: The Role of Self-Esteem and Depression. Journal of Marriage and Family, 63, 504- 513. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2001.00504.x
- Yoav. L., & Adital, B. A. (2004). Emotional Expressiveness and Neuroticism: Do They Predict Marital Quality?. Journal of Family Psychology, 18(4), 620-627. https://doi.org/10.1037/0893-318.104.22.1680
- Yoon, H. S. (2004). Conflicts and Adjustments of Foreign Wives Married to South Korean Men: Filipina Wives in Rural South Korea. Journal of Country and Country Cultures, 8(2), 387-406.
- Zhang, Y., & Jennifer, V. H. (2009). Marital Dissolution Among Interracial Couples. Journal of Marriage and Family, 71(1), 95-107. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2008.00582.x