- Volume 45 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Changes in Alcohol Dehydrogenase (ADH) and Acetaldehyde Dehydrogenase (ALDH) Activity during the Processing of Salt-Dried Rockfish Sebastes schlegeli
염건 조피볼락(Sebastes schlegeli) 제조 중 ADH 및 ALDH의 활성변화
- Received : 2012.10.04
- Accepted : 2012.11.20
- Published : 2012.12.31
The objective of this study was to determine the processing conditions for salt dried rockfish Sebastes schlegeli by sun drying and cold-air drying, as measured by alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) activity. We processed salt dried rockfish samples. The salinity of rockfish samples was within 1% following salting with 25% salt brine for 3 h. The moisture content of salt dried rockfish was found to reduce linearly from 70.12 to 39.5 g/100 g over the same time interval. The water activities of salt dried rockfish by sun and cold-air drying were 0.94 and 0.87, respectively, after three days of drying. Acid values (AV) were 10.71 and 5.96 mg KOH/g, respectively, after the three day drying period. The ADH activity in a water extract from salt dried rockfish following sun and cold-air drying for 24 h was 228.5% and 226.1% at 13.3 mg/mL, respectively, and was higher than that when drying lasted for 48 and 72 h. The ALDH activity was not affected but both ADH and ALDH activity tended to decrease as the drying time increased from 24 to 72 h. The conditions of processing for the best quality of salt dried rockfish were determined to be drying with a cold-air system for 24 h. These results indicated that water extracts from salt dried rockfish have valuable biological attributes owing to the metabolizing of alcohol and can provide useful information for the design of drying systems for salt dried rockfish.
Salt-dried rockfish;Moisture content;Water extract;Alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH);Acetaldehye dehydrogenase (ALDH)
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis. 16th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemist, Arlington, VA, U.S.A.
- Bastian KA and Betts GF. 1978. Kinetics and reaction mechanism of potassium-activated aldehyde dehydrogenase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem J 173, 787-798. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj1730787
- Bligh EG and Dyer WJ. 1959. A rapid method for total lipid extraction and purification. Can J Biochem Physiol 37, 911-917. https://doi.org/10.1139/o59-099
- Cha JY, Jung HJ, Jeong JJ, Yang HJ, Kim YT and Lee YS. 2009. Effects of amino acids on the activities of alcohol metabolizing enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and acetaldehye dehydrogenase (ALDH). J Life Sci 19, 1321-1327. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.9.1321
- Chung MS, Lee GS and Chae HJ. 2004. In vitro biological activity assay of ethanol extract of radish. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 47, 67-71.
- Gwak HJ. Eun JB. 2010. Chemical changes of low salt Gulbi (salted and dried yellow corvenia) during hot-air drying with different temperatures. Korean J Food Sci Technol 42, 147-154.
- Hooi R, Barbano DM, Bradley RL, Budde D, Bulthaus M, Chettiar M, Lynch J, Reddy R. 2004. Chemical and physical methods. In, Wehr HM, Frank JF (Eds): Standard Methods for the Examination of Dairy Products. American Public Health Association, Washington D.C., U.S.A, 363-532.
- Hwang JY, Ham JW and Nam SH. 2004. Effect of Maesil (Prunus mume) juice on the alcohol metabolizing enzyme activities. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36, 329-332.
- Iimuro Y, Bradford BU, Forman DT and Thurman RG. 1996. Glycine prevents alcohol-induced liver in jury by decreasing alcohol in the rat stomach. Gastroenterology 110, 1536-1542. https://doi.org/10.1053/gast.1996.v110.pm8613061
- Jin SI, Kim YC, Kang SW, Jeong CH, Choi SJ, Kim JK, Choi SG and Heo HJ. 2008. Analysis of nutritional components and development of an intermediate moisture food from sturgeon. Korean J Food Preserv 15, 719-724.
- Kang BK, Jung ST and Kim SJ. 2002. Effects of vegetable extracts by solvent separation on alcohol dehydrogenase activity from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Korean J Food Sci Technol 43, 244-248.
- Kim KS and Paik HY. 1992. A comparative study on optimum gestation of salt and sodium intake in young and middleaged Korean women. Korean J Nutr 25, 32-41.
- Korea Maritime Institute (KMI). 2012. Korea Maritime Institute Fisheries Outlook Center, Fisheries outlook service (Fish); the February 2012 issue. No. 285. KMI. Seoul, Korea, 7-10.
- Koivula T and Koivusalo M. 1975. Different from of rat liver aldehyde dehydrogenase and their subcellular distribution. Biochem Biophy Acta 397, 9-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-2744(75)90174-6
- Lee IS, Kim IC, Chae MH and Chang HC. 2007. Storage and acceptability of a smoked Sebastes schlegeli product. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36, 1458-1464 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.11.1458
- Lee SJ, Shim KB, Lim CW, Hong YM, Kim JD and Yoon HD. 2012. Effect of various washing methods on the quality of semi-dried Pacific saury Cololabis saira Guamegi. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 45, 224-231. https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2012.0224
- Lee JY. 2001. A study of salt consumption and related factors among adult females. Korean J Food & Nutr 14, 430-440.
- Lieber CS. 1994. Alcohol and the liver: Update. Gastroenterology 106, 1085-1090. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-5085(94)90772-2
- Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MIFAFF). 2012. Food Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Statistical Yearbook 2012. MIFAFF. Seoul, Korea, 422.
- Min OR, Shin MS, Jhon DY and Hong YH. 1988. Changes in amines, formaldehydes and fat distribution during Gulbi processing. Korean J Food Sci Technol 20, 125-132.
- Peters TJ. 1982. Ethanol metabolism. Bri Med Bull 38, 17-20. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.bmb.a071726
- Shim KB, Lim CW, Lee SJ, Jung HY, Shim HJ and Yoon HD. 2011. Effect of drying conditions on biogenic amine production and lipid oxidation in semi-dried Pacific saury Cololabissaira, Guamegi. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 44, 470-477. https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2011.0470
- Shin JH, Kwon OC, Kang MJ, Choi SY, Lee SJ and Sung NJ. 2006. The changes of malonaldehyde and fatty acids composition of yellow corvenia during Gulbi processing and storage. Korean J Food & Nutr 19, 374-380.
- Physicochemical Characteristics of Salted Jellyfish Processed in Southeast Asia vol.47, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0482
Supported by : 국립수산과학원