- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Endoprotease and Exopeptidase Activities in the Hepatopancreas of the Cuttlefish Sepia officinalis, the Squid Todarodes pacificus, and the Octopus Octopus vulgaris Cuvier
- Kim, Min Ji (Department of Seafood Science and Technology/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Kim, Hyeon Jeong (Department of Seafood Science and Technology/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Kim, Ki Hyun (Department of Seafood Science and Technology/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Heu, Min Soo (Department of Food Science and Nutrition/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Kim, Jin-Soo (Department of Seafood Science and Technology/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2012.06.18
- Accepted : 2012.07.28
- Published : 2012.09.30
This study examined and compared the exopeptidase and endoprotease activities of the hepatopancreas (HP) of cuttlefish, squid, and octopus species. The protein concentration in crude extract (CE) from octopus HP was 3,940 mg/100 g, lower than those in CEs from squid HP (4,157 mg/100 g) and cuttlefish HP (5,940 mg/100 g). With azocasein of pH 6 as a substrate, the total activity in HP CE of octopus was 31,000 U, lower than the values for cuttlefish (57,000 U) and squid (69,000 U). Regardless of sample type, the total activities of the CEs with azocasein as the substrate were higher at pH 6 (31,000-69,000 U) than at pH 9 (19,000-34,000 U). With L-leucine-p-nitroanilide (LeuPNA) of pH 6 as the substrate, the total activity of the HP CE from octopus was 138,000 U, higher than values from both cuttlefish HP (72,000 U) and squid HP (63,000 U). Regardless of sample type, the total activities of the CEs with LeuPNA as the substrate were higher at pH 6 (63,000-138,000 U) than at pH 9 (41,000-122,000 U). With LeuPNA as the substrate, the total activities of the CEs from octopus HP and cuttlefish HP were higher at pH 6 than at pH 9. However, there was no difference in total activity between pH 6 and 9 for squid HP CE with LeuPNA as the substrate. These results suggest that the octopus HP is superior to the cuttlefish HP and squid HP as a potential resource for extracting exopeptidases. Exopeptidases from octopus HP have potential industrial applications and their use might aid in reducing pollution related to the octopus industry.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Association of Analytical Chemists (AOAC). 1995. Official Methods of Analysis. 16th ed. Association of Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, US, pp. 69-74.
- Choi SH, Im SI, Hur SH and Kim YM. 1995. Processing conditions of low salt fermented squid and its flavor components. 1. Volatile flavor components of low salt fermented squid. J Kor Soc Food Nutr 24, 261-267.
- Ezquerra-Brauer JM, Haard NF, Ramirez-Olivas R, Olivas-Burrola H and Velazquez-Sanchez CJ. 2002. Influence of harvest season on the proteolytic activity of hepatopancreas and mantle tissues from jumbo squid (Dosidicus gigas). J Food Chem 26, 459-475.
- Garcia-Carreno FL and Haard NF. 1993. Characterization of proteinase classes in langostilla Pleuroncodes planipes and crayfish (Pacifastacus astacus) extracts. J Food Biochem 17, 97-113. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4514.1993.tb00864.x
- Hameed KS and Haard NF. 1985. Isolation and characterization of cathepsin C from Atlantic short finned squid Illex illecebrosus. Comp Biochem Physiol B 82, 241-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0491(85)90233-0
- Heu MS and Ahn SH. 1999. Development and fractionation of proteolytic enzymes from an inedible seafood product. J Kor Fish Soc 32, 458-465.
- Heu MS, Kim HR and Pyeun JH. 1995. Comparison of trypsin and chymotrypsin from the viscera of anchovy, Engraulis japonica. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 112, 557-567. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0491(95)00111-5
- Heu MS, Kim HR, Cho DM, Godber JS and Pyeun JH. 1997. Purification and characterization of cathepsin L-like enzyme from the muscle of anchovy, Engraulis japonica. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 118, 523-529. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0491(97)00181-8
- Heu MS, Kim JS, Shahidi F, Jeong Y and Jeon YJ. 2003. Extraction, fractionation and activity characteristics of protease from shrimp processing discards. J Food Biochem 27, 221-236. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4514.2003.tb00278.x
- Kim EM, Jo JH, Oh SW and Kim YM. 1997. Characteristics of squid viscera oil. J Kor Fish Soc 30, 595-600.
- Kim HS, Heu MS and Kim JS. 2007. Distribution and extraction condition of endoprotease and exopeptidase from viscera of Illex argentinus. J Kor Soc Appl Biochem 50, 308-315.
- Kim HS, Kim JS and Heu MS. 2008a. Fractionation and endoprotease from viscera of the argentina shortfin squid Illex argentinus. J Kor Fish Soc 41, 176-181. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2008.41.3.176
- Kim HS, Kim JS and Heu MS. 2008b. Fractionation and exopeptidase from viscera of Argentina shortfin squid, Illex argentinus. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37, 1009-1017. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.8.1009
- Kishimura H, Saeki H and Hayashi K. 2001. Isolation and characteristics of trypsin inhibitor from the hepatopancreas of a squid (Todarodes pacificus). Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 130, 117-123. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1096-4959(01)00415-8
- Lian PZ, Lee CM and Park E. 2005. Characterization of squid-processing byproducts hydrolysate and its potential as aquaculture feed ingredient. J Agric Food Chem 53, 5587-5592. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf050402w
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL and Randall RJ. 1951. Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193, 265-275.
- Raksakulthai R and Haard NF. 1999. Purification and characterization of aminopeptidase fractions from squid (Illex illecebrosus) hepatopancreas. J Food Biochem 23, 123-144. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4514.1999.tb00010.x
- Raksakulthai R and Haard NF. 2001. Purification and characterization of a carboxypeptidase from squid hepatopancreas (Illex illecebrosus). J Agric Food Chem 49, 5019-5030. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf010320h
- Raksakulthai R, Rosenberg M and Haard NF. 2002. Accelerated Cheddar cheese ripening with an aminopeptidase fraction from squid hepatopancreas. J Food Sci 67, 923-928. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb09429.x
- Ryu HS, Mun SI and Lee KH. 1992. Change in quality of seasoned and smoked squid during processing. Bull Kor Fish Soc 25, 406-412.
- Starky PM. 1977. Elastase and cathepsin G: the serine proteinases of human neutrophil leucocytes and spleen. In: Proteinases in Mammalian Cells and Tissues. Barrett AJ, ed. North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam, NL, pp. 57-89.
- Strugnell J and Nishiguchi MK. 2007. Molecular phylogeny of coleoid Cephalopods (Mollusca: Cephalopoda) inferred from three mitochondrial and six nuclear loci: a comparison of alignment, implied alignment and analysis methods. J Moll Stud 73, 399-410. https://doi.org/10.1093/mollus/eym038
- Sugiyama M, Lousu S, Hanabe M and Okuda Y. 1989. Organs and other tissues. In: Utilization of Squid. Balkeman AA, ed. CRC Press, Rotterdam, NL, pp. 90-101.