- Volume 13 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Clinical and Histological Indicators of Proximal and Distal Gastric Cancer in Eight Provinces of Iran
- Norouzinia, M. (Research Institute for Gastroenterology and Liver Disease, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science) ;
- Asadzadeh, H. (Research Institute for Gastroenterology and Liver Disease, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science) ;
- Shalmani, H. Mohaghegh (Research Institute for Gastroenterology and Liver Disease, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science) ;
- Al Dulaimi, D. (Department of Gastroenterology Alexander Hospital Redditch) ;
- Zali, M.R. (Research Institute for Gastroenterology and Liver Disease, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science)
- Published : 2012.11.30
Background and Aim: Gastric cancer is the second most common cancer worldwide. In this study the clinical and histological features of gastric cancer in the cardia and distal stomach were evaluated. Method: Proximal and distal gastric cancer diagnosed and treated in eight provinces of Iran from 2010-2011 were reviewed in all collected cases. The age standardized incident rates were calculated and tumor location and histological type were recorded. Results: The age-standardized incidence rate for the eight centers was 40.6 per 100,000 populations per year with an upper and lower range of 22.1 and 102.4 per 100,000 population per year. Thirty four percent of the tumors were located in the cardia, 3% in fundus, and 63% in the distal stomach. In 7 provinces the prevalence of distal tumors was significantly greater than proximal tumors (p=0.006). A significant relationship was observed between diffuse form of gastric cancer and distal gastric tumors (p=0.007) and between poor tumor differentiation and distal gastric tumors (p<0.001). Conclusions: the result of this study shows that distal gastric cancer is more common than proximal gastric cancer in Iran.
- Bornschein J, Rokkas T, Selgrad M, Malfertheiner P (2011). Gastric cancer: clinical aspects, epidemiology and molecular background. Helicobacter, 16, 45-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-5378.2011.00880.x
- Curado MP, Edwards B, Shin HR, et al (2007). Cancer incidence in five continents, Vol. IX.
- Dos Santos Silva IS (1999). Cancer Epidemiology: Principles and Methods. Int Agency for Res Cancer, Lyon, France, 70-6.
- Ekstrom AM, Hansson LE, Signorello LB, Lindgren A, Bergstrom R, Nyren O (2000). Decreasing incidence of both major histologic subtypes of gastric adenocarcinoma--a population-based study in Sweden. Br J Cancer, 83, 391-6. https://doi.org/10.1054/bjoc.2000.1205
- Eriksson NK, Karkkainen PA, Farkkila MA, Arkkila PE (2008). Prevalence and distribution of gastric intestinal metaplasia and its subtypes. Dig Liver Dis, 40, 355-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dld.2007.12.012
- Gonzalez CA, Lopez-Carrillo L (2010). Helicobacter pylori, nutrition and smoking interactions: their impact in gastric carcinogenesis. Scand J Gastroenterol, 45, 6-14. https://doi.org/10.3109/00365520903401959
- Jemal A, Center MM, DeSantis C, Ward EM (2010). Global patterns of cancer incidence and mortality rates and trends. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19, 1893-907. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0437
- Koh TJ, Wang TC (2002).Tumors of the Stomach. In: Feldman M, Friedman LS, Sleisenger MH. Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease.7th edition. USA. SAUNDERS, 829.
- Liu L, Wang ZW, Ji J, et al (2012). A cohort study and metaanalysis between histopathological classification and prognosis of gastric carcinoma. Anticancer Agents Med Chem, 2012 Aug 24. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID:22934699.
- Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Safaee A, Vahedi M, et al (2012). History of upper gastrointestinal cancers in relatives: a communitybased estimate. Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench, 5, 100-5.
- Nyren O, Adami HO (2002). Stomach cancer in: hans-olov adami, david hunter, dimitrios trichopoulos. textbook of cancer epidemiology. USA: Oxford University Press, 162-87.
- Patel SH, Kooby DA (2011). Gastric adenocarcinoma surgery and adjuvant therapy. Surg Clin North Am, 91, 1039-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suc.2011.06.009
- Pourhoseingholi MA, Faghihzadeh S, Hajizadeh E, Abadi AR (2010). Bayesian analysis of gastric cancer mortality in Iranian population. Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench, 3, 15-18.
- Rostami M, Kadivar M, Aznab M, Abachi M (2012). Influence of age and gender on association between -765G > C COX-2 genetic polymorphism and gastric adenocarcinoma risk: a case-control study in Iran. Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench, 5, 29-34.
- Sadjadi A, Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan MH, et al (2003). Cancer occurrence in Ardabil: results of a population-based cancer registry from Iran. Int J Cancer, 107, 113-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11359
- Sipponen P (2002). Gastric cancer: pathogenesis, risks, and prevention. J Gastroenterol, 37, 39-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02990098
- Vieth M, Stolte M (2005). Pathology of early upper GI cancers. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol, 19, 857-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpg.2005.02.008
- Yeoh KG (2007). How do we improve outcomes for gastric cancer? J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 22, 970-2. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2007.04956.x
- Zali H, Rezaei-Tavirani M, Azodi M (2011). Gastric cancer: prevention, risk factors and treatment. Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench, 4, 175-85
- Diagnostic Value of Fecal Calprotectin as a Screening Biomarker for Gastrointestinal Malignancies vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1667