- Volume 1 Issue 1
During a study of harpacticoid copepods from Korea, one species of the family Orthopsyllidae was found by rinsing macroalgae collected from the intertidal and subtidal zones at Hangaechang, Munseum Islet in Jeju Island of Korea. The Orthopsyllus is closely related to Orthopsyllus linearis curvaspinata Mielke, 1993, however it is distinguished from the original description by the combined characters of slightly slender caudal seta V in the female, relatively short and ovoid caudal ramus, the seta formula of P3, and the length of P2 and P4 endopod in the male. Since Orthopsyllus linearis (Claus, 1866) is notorious for its incomplete previous descriptions and therefore its polymorphic status, it is premature to fix the status of present Orthopsyllus species from Korea, without the detailed comparative study among the congeners. However due to the urgent need for the report of the genus in the region, we report this species as Orthopsyllus linearis (Claus, 1866) like but different one within the genus: Orthopsyllus cf. linearis (Claus,1866). This is the first report of the genus Orthopsyllus for the first time in Korea.
Orthopsyllus cf. linearis;Orthopsyllidae;Harpacticoida;Copepoda;Jeju Island;Korea
- Boer, P. 1971. Harpacticid copepods (Crustacea) living in wood infested by Limnoria from northwestern Farnace. Bulletin Zoologisch Museum Univerrsitieit van Amsterdam 2(8):63-72.
- Boxshall, G.A. and S.H. Halsey. 2004. An Introduction to Copepod Diversity. Part I. The Ray Society, London. 421 pp.
- Fiers, F. 1987. Intercletodes interita n. gen., n. sp. and Orthopsyllus coralliophilus n. sp., two new copepods from the northern coast of Papua New Guinea (Copepoda Harpacticoida). Bulletin de L'Institut Royal des Sciences Naturelles de Belgique, Bilogie 57:123-132.
- Huys, R. 1990. Amsterdam expeditions to the West Indian Islands, Report 64. A new family of harpacticoid copepods and an analysis of the phylogenetic relationships within the Laophontoidea T. Scott. Bijdragen tot de Dierkunde 60:79-120.
- Huys, R., J.M. Gee, C.G. Moore and R. Hamond. 1996. Marine and brackish water harpacticoid copepods. Part 1. Synopses of the British Fauna (New Series) 51:1-352.
- Lang, K. 1965. Copepoda Harpacticoidea from the Californian Pacific coast. Kungliga Svenska Vetenskapsakademiens Handlingar (Series 4) 10(2):1-560.
- Lee, K., H. Gheerardyn and W. Lee. 2011. A new species of Orthopsyllus Brady & Robinson, 1873 (Copepoda: harpacticoida: Orthopsyllidae) from Maxwell Bay, King George Island, Antarctica. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington 124(2):84-98. https://doi.org/10.2988/10-36.1
- Mielke, W. 1993. Species of the taxa Orthopsyllus and Nitocra (Copepoda) from Coast Rica. Microfauna Marina 8: 247-266.
- Vervoort, W. 1964. Free-living Copepoda from Ifaluk Atoll in the Caroline Islands with notes on related species. Bullentin of the United States National Museum 236:1-431.
- First records of Hemicyclops tanakai Itoh and Nishida, 2002 and Tisbe ensifer Fischer, 1860 (Crustacea, Copepoda) in Korea vol.5, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12651/JSR.2016.5.3.289