- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Nonverbal Communication on Trust, Switching Barrier and Repurchase Intention
서비스제공자의 비언어적 커뮤니케이션이 신뢰와 전환장벽 및 재구매의도에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Ok-Hee (Dept. of Fashion Design, Sunchon National University)
- 이옥희 (순천대학교 패션디자인학과)
- Received : 2012.03.30
- Accepted : 2012.09.17
- Published : 2012.10.31
This study investigates the effect of nonverbal communication on trust, switching barrier, and repurchase intention. Sample subjects used in this study were customers of a fashion shop in Sunchon. The questionnaires were conveniently sampled from July 2010 to August 2010. Questionnaire data from 335 customers of a national brand were analyzed through a reliability analysis, factor analysis, and multiple regression analysis. The results of this study are as follows. First, nonverbal communication by the service provider was divided into 3 types, physical appearance and paralanguage, postures and proxemics, and facial expressions. Second, it was found that physical appearance and paralanguage, postures and proxemics, facial expression of nonverbal communication had a significant impact on customer trust. Third, given the relationship between nonverbal communication and switching barrier, it was represented that the postures and proxemics and facial expressions (except physical appearance and paralanguage) had a significantly positive influence on the switching barrier. Forth, physical appearance/paralanguage, postures/proxemics, and facial expressions (nonverbal communication) had a positive influence on repurchase intention. Fifth, given the relationship between trust and repurchase intention as well as switching barrier and repurchase intention, it was represented that trust and switching barrier have a significantly positive influence upon repurchase intention. According to the results of this study, the more positive nonverbal communication by the service provider then the higher the customer repurchase intention as well as trust and switching barrier. Fifth, given the relationship between trust and repurchase intention as well as switching barrier and repurchase intention, it was represented that trust and switching barrier have a significantly positive influence upon repurchase intentions.
- Argyle, M. (1994). Bodily communication. London: Rutledgel.
- Argyle, M., Salter, V., Nicholson, H., Williams, M., & Burgess, P. (1970). The communication of inferior and superior attitudes by verbal and nonverbal signals. British Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 9, 222-231. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8260.1970.tb00668.x
- Barnum, C., & Wolniansky, N. (1989). Why Americans fail at overseas negotiations. Management Review, 78(10), 55-57.
- Biong, H. (1993). Satisfaction and loyalty to suppliers within the grocery trade. European Journal of Marketing, 27(7), 21-38.
- Bitner, M. J. (1990). Evaluating service encounters: The effects of physical surroundings and employee responses. Journal of Marketing, 54(April), 69-82. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251871
- Bitner, M. J., Booms, B. H., & Tetreault, M. S. (1990). The service encounter diagnosing favorable and unfavorable incidents. Journal of Marketing, 54(Jan.), 71-84. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252174
- Birdwhistell, R. L. (1955). Background To Kinesics. Philadelphia: ETC.
- Boucher, V. (1976). Nonverbal communication and the library reference interview. Research Quarterly, 16, 27-32.
- Burgoon, J. K., Birk, T., & Pfau, M. (1990). Nonverbal behaviors, persuasion, and credibility. Human Communication Research, 17(Fall), 140-169. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2958.1990.tb00229.x
- Chaiken, S. (1979). Communicator physical attractiveness and persuasion. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 37(8), 1387-1397. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1247
- Chandon, J. L., Leo, P. Y., & Philippe, J. (1997). Service encounter dimensions-a dyadic perspective: Measuring the dimensions of service encounters as perceived by customer and personal. International Journal of Service Industry Management, 8(1), 65-86. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564239710161088
- Cho, K. H., & Park, B. G. (1999). An empirical study of the effects of the switching barrier and customer satisfaction on store loyalty. Korean Management Review, 28(1), 127-149.
- Cho, M. S., & Lee, S. W. (2011). The effect of hotel employee`s service recovery justice on repurchase intention. Korean Journal of Tourism Research, 26(1), 371-386.
- Choe, Y. H. (2000). A review of nonverbal behaviors and social influence. Korean Journal of Communication Studies, 8, 98-117
- Choi, J. H. (2009). A study on the visual image in nonverbal elements of advertisement creative- Focusing on domestic print media`s public advertising-. The Treatise on The Plastic Media, 12(3), 57- 66.
- Delmonte, M. (1991). Use of nonverbal construing and metaphor in psychotherapy. International Journal of Psychosomatics, 38(1-4), 1-4.
- Depaulo, B. M. (1992). Nonverbal behavior and self-presentation. Psychological Bulletin, 111(2), 203-243. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.111.2.203
- Doney, P. M., & Joseph P. C. (1997). An examination of the nature of trust in buyer-seller relationships. Journal of Marketing, 61(4), 35- 51. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251829
- Donovan, R. J., & Rossiter, J. R. (1982). Store atmosphere: an environment psychology approach. Journal of Retailing, 58 (Spring), 34-57.
- Gabbot, M. & Gillian H. (2001). The role of non-verbal communication in service encounters: A conceptual framework. Journal of Marketing Management, 17(1/2), 5-26. https://doi.org/10.1362/0267257012571401
- Ganesan, S. (1994). Determination of long term orientation in buyerseller relationships. Journal of Marketing, 58(2), 1-19.
- Harrison, R. P. (1974). Beyond words: an introduction to nonverbal communication. Prentice Hall, Inc.
- Jandt, F. E. (1998). Intercultural communication. Thousand Oak, CA: Sage Publication.
- Jeon, I. S. (1992). Switching barrier, imitating barrier, and continuing superiority in competition. Management Review in Hongik University. 6, 135-152.
- Kelley, S. W., & Davis, M. A. (1994). Antecedents to customer expectations for service recovery. Journal of the academy of Marketing Science. 4(2), 509-521.
- Kim D. W. (2009). A Study on the asymmetric impact of trust with dual dimensions on repurchase intentions in the online environment. E-Business Research, 10(3), 371-394.
- Kim, J. U., Pak, J. M., & Yi, H. U. (2006). Effects of nonverbal communication of service providers on customers` perception of the service quality. Journal of Marketing Management Research, 11(2), 153-172.
- Kim, K. J. (2009). A study on non-verbal communication for Korean language learners. Bilingual Research. 40, 1-29.
- Kim, S. H. (2007). Effect of the verbal and non-verbal communication of salespersons in service encounter on customers` emotion and behavioral intension - Focusing on the emotional contagion phenomenon-. Journal of Consumer Studies, 18(1), 91-131.
- Kim, S. H. (2005a). A study on consumers` emotion expression and a salesperson`s responses in service encounter: Verbal and nonverbal communication. Journal of Consumer Studies, 16(2), 111-146.
- Kim, W. Y., & Lee, H. R. (2011). The effects of verbal & nonverbal communication of service providers on brand image: Focused on chain restaurant. Korean Journal of Hotel Administration, 20(2), 69-88.
- Kim, Y. K. (2005b). A study on nonverbal communication in the service provider. Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, 15(3), 117-148. https://doi.org/10.1080/12297119.2005.9707496
- Kim, Y. T. (2003). The effects of the supervisory trust and personal characteristics on the salesperson`s efforts and performance. Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, 11, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/12297119.2003.9707327
- Joo, H. K. (1999). A Study on Influence of Customer Service Quality on Customer Satisfaction. Unpublished doctor's thesis, Dong Duck Women's University, Seoul.
- Lee, O. H. (2011). The effects of internal marketing of fashion store on customer orientation of salespeople. Journal of The Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 35(5), 537-546. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2011.35.5.537
- Mehrabian, A., & William, M. (1969). Nonverbal concomitant of perceived and intended persuasiveness. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 13(Sep.), 37-58. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0027993
- Morgan, R. M., & Hunt, S. D. (1994). The commitment-trust theory of relationship marketing. Journal of Marketing, 54(3), 20-38.
- Park, J. C. (2003). The effect of internet shopping mall user`s customer satisfaction on trust. Commitment, and Customer Loyalty Behaviors. Journal of MIS Research, 13(3), 131-149.
- Park, K. H. (2004). Transactions : The effects of customer orientation and sales training on salespeople performance -Focused on apparel salespeople at department stores in Daegu-. Journal of The Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 6(3), 314-320.
- Ping, R. A. (1993). The effects of satisfaction and structural constraints on retailer exiting, voice, loyalty, opportunism, and neglect. Journal of Retailing, 69, 350-352.
- Shin, C. H., Yang, Y. O., & Han, S. L. (2008). A study on the effect of perceived personalization and switching barriers on loyalty in internet shopping malls. Journal of Marketing Management Research, 13(1), 23-43.
- Shin, D. S. (2010). A study on internal marketing factors upon organizational trust, job satisfaction and turnover intention in service firm -Focused on employee of travel agency-. Korean Journal of Tourism Research, 25(2), 293-316.
- Sommers, M. S., Greeno, D. W., & Boag, D. (1989). The role of nonverbal communication in service provision and representation. Service Industries Journal, 9(4), 162-173. https://doi.org/10.1080/02642068900000068
- Stiff, J., Corman, S., Krizek, B., & Snider, E. (1994). Individual differences and changes in nonverbal behavior: Unmasking the changing faces of deception. Communication Research, 21(5), 555-581. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365094021005001
- Sundaram, D. & Cynthia, W. (2000). The role of non-verbal communication in service encounters. Journal of Service Marketing, 14(5), 378-391. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040010341008