- Volume 48 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Rapid Detection of Lactobacillus Genus Inhabiting in Vagina of 20's Healthy Women Using Multiplex PCR
Multiplex PCR 분석을 통한 건강한 20대 여성의 질 내에 서식하는 Lactobacillus 속 유산균의 신속한 검출
- Oh, Cho-Rong (Department of Chemical and Biotechnology, Seokyeong University) ;
- Cho, Hong-Bum (Department of Chemical and Biotechnology, Seokyeong University)
- Received : 2012.09.26
- Accepted : 2012.10.12
- Published : 2012.12.31
The purpose of this study is to simultaneously detect and identify specific genus of Lactobacillus distributed in vagina of healthy women in their twenties by using multiplex primer. Vaginal fluid samples were taken from 166 women who were healthy and did not have vaginosis symptoms caused by bacterial infection. Six species of lactic acid bacteria belong to Lactobacillus genus that are known to inhabit in healthy vagina were selected to make a species-specific multiplex primer. Multiplex primer I was specified to selectively detect L. iners, L. crispatus, L. gasseri and multiplex primer II was specified to selectively detect L. acidophilus, L. jensenii, L. fermentum. L. crispatus (77%) was most frequently detected, and L. acidophilus (57%) and L. jensenii (57%) were relatively higher than others. Although the proportion of L. iners (59%) was a little higher than those of L. acidophilus and L. jensenii, this should be further validated in healthy women's vagina to be sure since they often appear in women having bacterial vaginosis and/or during the antibiotic therapy. Conclusively, the multiplex PCR technique using the species-specific primer could a useful tool to predict variation of vaginal health condition and process of recovery from vaginal disease.
Lactobacillus sp.;bacterial vaginosis;multiplex PCR
- Ahn, H.R., So, J.S., and Oh, K.H. 2011. Characterization and antimicrobial activity of lactic acid bacteria isolated from vaginas of women of childbearing age. Kor. J. Microbiol. 47, 308-315.
- Antonio, M.A., Hawes, S.E., and Hillier, S.L. 1999. The identification of vaginal Lactobacillus species and the demographic and microbiologic characteristics of women colonized by these species. J. Infect. Dis. 180, 1950-1956. https://doi.org/10.1086/315109
- Antonio, M.A., Rabe, L.K., and Hillier, S.L. 2005. Colonization of the rectum by Lactobacillus species and decreased risk of bacterial vaginosis. J. Infect. Dis. 192, 394-398. https://doi.org/10.1086/430926
- Barbers, C. and Boris, S. 1999. Potential role of Lactobacilli as prophylactic agents against genital pathogens. AIDS Patient Care STDs 13, 747-751. https://doi.org/10.1089/apc.1999.13.747
- Burton, J.P., Cadieux, P.A., and Reid, G. 2003. Improved understanding of the bacterial vaginal microbiota of women before and after probiotic instillation. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 69, 97-101. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.69.1.97-101.2003
- Cho, Y.H. 2006. Introduction to urinary tract infection. Kor. J. Urol. 47, 559-567. https://doi.org/10.4111/kju.2006.47.6.559
- Collins, M.D., Rodrigues, U., Aguirre, A.M., Ash, C., Aguirre, M., Farrow, J.A.E., Martinez-Murcia, A., Phillips, B.A., and Williams, A.M. 1991. Phylogenetic analysis of the genus Lactobacillus and related lactic acid bacteria as determined by reverse transcriptase sequencing of 16S rRNA. FEMS Mcrobiol. Lett. 77, 5-12. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.1991.tb04313.x
- Daeschel, M.A. 1989. Antimicrobial substances from lactic acid bacteria for use as preservatives. J. Food Technol. 43, 164-167.
- Dahiya, R.S. and Speck, M.L. 1968. Hydrogen peroxide formation by lactobacilli and its effect on Staphylococcus aureus. J. Dairy Sci. 51, 1568-1572. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(68)87232-7
- Dickson, E.M., Riggio, M.P., and Macpherson, L. 2005. A novel species-specific PCR assay for identifying Lactobacillus fermentum. J. Med. Microbiol. 54, 299-303. https://doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.45770-0
- Falsen, E., Pascual, C., Sjoden, B., Ohlen, M., and Collins, M.D. 1999. Phenotypic and phylogenetic characterization of a novel Lactobacillus species from human sources: description of Lactobacillus iners sp. nov. Int J. Syst. Bacteriol. 49, 217-221. https://doi.org/10.1099/00207713-49-1-217
- Park, M.Y., Park, H.M., So, J.S., and Kim, S.C. 2004. Microbiologic and molecular genetic analysis of Lactobacillus spp. isolated from vagina of Korean women and a pilot clinical study on the treatment of vaginitis using the best Lactobacillus strain KLB 46. Kor. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 47, 1154-1164.
- Pavlova, S.I., Kilic, A.O., Kilic, S.S., So, J.S., Nader-Macias, M.E., and Simoes, J.A. 2002. Genetic diversity of vaginal lactobacilli from women in different countries based on16S rRNA gene sequences. J. Appl. Microbiol. 92, 451-459. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2002.01547.x
- Redondo-Lopez, V., Cool, R.L., and Sobel, J.D. 1990. Emerging role of lactobacilli in the control and maintenance of the vaginal bacterial microflora. Infect. Dis. Rev. 12, 856-872. https://doi.org/10.1093/clinids/12.5.856
- Song, Y.L., Kato, N., Matsumiya, Y., Liu, C.X., Kato, H., and Watanabe, K. 1999. Identification of and hydrogenperoxide production by fecal and vaginal lactobacilli isolated from Japanese women and new born infants. J. Clin. Microbiol. 37, 3062-3064.
- Sul, S.Y., Kim, H.J., Kim, T.W., and Kim, H.Y. 2007. Rapid identification of Lactobacillus and bifidobacterium in probiotic products using multiplex PCR. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 17, 490-495.
- Sung, H.R., Joo, J.Y., Lee, C.K., Chung, Y.B., and Song, S.G. 2007. Simultaneous detection of cytomegalovirus, epstein-barr virus, hepatitis B virus, and parvovirus by a multiplex PCR. Kor. J. Microbiol. 43, 1-6.
- Vasquez, A., Jakobsson, T., Ahrne, S., Forsum, U., and Molin, G. 2002. Vaginal Lactobacillus flora of healthy Swedish women. J. Clin. Microbiol. 40, 2746-2749. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.40.8.2746-2749.2002
- Zhou, X., Bent, S.J., Schneider, M.G., Davis, C.C., Islam, M.R., and Forney, L.J. 2004. Characterization of vaginal microbial communities in adult healthy women using cultivation-independent methods. Microbiology 150, 2565-2573. https://doi.org/10.1099/mic.0.26905-0
- Zozaya-Hinchliffe, M., Lillis, R., Martin, D.H., and Ferris, M.J. 2010. Quantitative PCR assessments of bacterial species in women with and without bacterial vaginosis. J. Clin. Microbiol. 48, 1812-1819. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.00851-09
- Probiotics in the Prevention and Treatment of Postmenopausal Vaginal Infections: Review Article vol.23, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.6118/jmm.2017.23.3.139