- Volume 22 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Opuntia humifusa Seed Extracts on Platelet Aggregation and Serum Lipid Level in Ovariectomized Rats
천년초 씨 추출물이 난소를 절제한 흰쥐의 혈소판 응집과 혈청 내 지질 조성에 미치는 영향
Hwang, Hyun Jung;Kang, Min Sook;Kim, Bo Kyung;Jung, Bok-Mi;Kim, Mihyang
- Received : 2012.11.04
- Accepted : 2012.12.16
- Published : 2012.12.30
Postmenopausal women are at an increased risk of developing coronary artery disease, primarily due to dyslipidemia that accompanies the loss of estrogen secretion. This study was performed to investigate the effects of Opuntia humifusa seed extracts on blood flow and serum lipid level in ovariectomized rats. Twenty-eight 9-week old female Sprague-Dawley rats were randomly assigned to four groups as sham-operated rats (SHAM), ovariectomized rats (OVX-CON), and ovariectomized rats that were treated with Opuntia humifusa seed extracts (OVX-OHS 2% and OVX-OHS 6%). The diets were fed to the rats for 7 weeks after operation. Serum total cholesterol and triglyceride contents decreased in the SHAM group compared to the OVX-CON group. Seven weeks of feeding of Opuntia humifusa seed extracts resulted in significant (p<0.05) lowering of serum triglyceride and a decreasing tendency in total cholesterol levels. The level of HDL-cholesterol in serum increased significantly by feeding diets containing the 2% and 6% Opuntia humifusa seed hot-water extract (p<0.05). Blood passage times were shorter in the Opuntia humifusa seed extract-supplemented groups than in the untreated group (OVX-CON). The platelet aggregation ability was lower in groups treated with Opuntia humifusa seed extracts than in the OVX-CON group. These results suggest that Opuntia humifusa seed extracts may have benefits in improving metabolic syndrome in menopausal women.
Opuntia humifusa;platelet aggregation;blood flow;serum lipids;ovariectomized rats
- Anderson, J. W., Johnstone, B. M. and Cook-newell, M. E. 1995. Meta-analysis of the effects of soy protein intake on serum lipids. N. Engl. J. Med. 33, 276-282.
- Badimon, L, Badimon, J. J., Penny, W., Webster, M. W., Chesebro, J. H. and Fuster, V. 1992. Endothelium and atherosclerosis. J. Hypertens. 10, 43-50. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004872-199207001-00007
- Belchetz, P. E. 1994. Hormonal treatment of postmenopausal women. N. Engl. J. Med. 14. 1062-1071.
- Bonithon-Kopp, C, Scarabin, P. Y., Darne, B., Malmejac, A. and Guize, L. 1990. Menopause-related changes in lipoproteins and some other cardiovascular risk factors. Int. J. Epidemiol. 19, 42-48. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/19.1.42
- Campagnoli, C., Biglia, N., Peris, C. and Sismondi, P. 1995. Potential impact on breast cancer risk of circulating insulin-like growth factor I modifications induced by oral HRT in menopause. Gynecol. Endocrinol. 9, 67-74 https://doi.org/10.3109/09513599509160194
- Choi, J. H. 2011. Structural analysis of anti-metastatic polysaccharides isolated from Opuntia humifusa. M. S. Thesis, Graduate School of Kyonggi University, Korea.
- Clarkson, T. B. 2002. Soy phytoestrogens a cardiovascular disease. J. Nutr. 132, 566-569.
- Gale, S. K. and Sclakani, A. 1977. Comparison of ovarian and hypothalamic obesity syndromes in the female rat: effect of diet palatability on food intake and body weight. J. Comp. Physiol. Psychol. 91, 381-392. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0077328
- Gavey, D. A. 1986. The menopause and climacteric. In Whitfield, C. R. (ed.), Dewhurst's text-book of obstetrics and gynecology for postgraduates. 4th eds., Oxford : Blackwell scientific publications, 646-676.
- Han, I. H., Lee, K. A. and Byoun, K. E. 2007. Antioxidant activity of Korean cactus (Opuntia humifusa) and the quality characteristics of cookies with cactus powder added. Korean J. Food Cookery Sci. 23, 443-451.
- Hwang, H. J., Jung, B. M. and Kim, M. H. 2012. ROS scavenging effect and cell viability of Opuntia humifusa extract on osteoblastic MC3T3-E1 cells. J. Life Sci. 21, 1752-1760. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.12.1752
- Jeon, M. H. 2011. Effect of Hijkia fusiforme fractions on proliferation and differentiation in osteoblastic MC3T3-E1 cells. J. Life Sci. 21, 300-308. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.2.300
- Ji, S. E. 1983. Analysis of the relationship between middle- aged woman's attitudes toward middle adulthood developmental changes and their self-reported climacteric symptoms. M.S. Thesis, Graduate School of Yonsei University, Korea.
- Kim, D. J., Jung, J. H., Kim, S. G., Lee, H. K., Lee, S. K., Hong, H. D., Lee, B. Y. and Lee, O. H. 2011. Antioxidants and anti-obesity activities of hot water and ethanolic extracts from Cheonnyuncho (Opuntia humifusa). Korean J. Food Preserv. 18, 366-373. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.3.366
- Kim, S. G. 2011. Effects of Cheonnyuncho (Opuntia humifusa) extracts on the inhibition of adipocyte differentiation and the reduction of reactive oxygen species. D.S. Thesis, Kongju University, Korea.
- Kim. S. Y. 2003. Studies on the separation of antioxidative and anti-microbial compounds of Korean perennial cactus Cheonnyuncho. Ph D Dissertation, Hoseo University, Korea.
- Kim, Y. K., Jeon, M. H., Park, Y. S., Hwang, H. J., Lee, S. H., Kim, S. G., Kim, Y. Y. and Kim, M. H. 2010. The Effect of Ecklonia stolonifera extracts on blood flow and serum lipid level in ovariectomozed rats. J. Life Sci. 20, 1851-1858. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.12.1851
- Lee, H. S. 2001. Experiences of postmenopausal women about hormone replacement therapy. M.S. Thesis, Graduate School of Chungang University, Korea.
- Lee, S. S. and Park, J. H. 1989. Long-term effect of ovariectomy on body composition. Korean J. Nutr. 22, 102-107.
- Levine, G. N., Keaney, J. F. and Vita, J. A. 1995. Cholesterol reduction cardiovascular disease; Clinical benefits and possible mechanisms. N. Engl. J. Med. 33, 512-521.
- Lisa, K. 2009. Mechanisms of platelet activation: Need for new strategies to protect against platelet-mediated atherothrombosis. Thromb Haemost. 2, 248-257.
- Manolio, T. A., Pearson, T. A., Wenger, N. K., Barrett- Connor, E., Opayne, G. H. and Harlan, W. R. 1992. Cholesterol and heart disease in older persons and women. Review of an NHLBI workshop. Ann. Epidemiol. 2, 161-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/1047-2797(92)90051-Q
- Mook, D. G., Kenney, N. J., Roberts, S. and Nussbaum, A. I. 1972. Ovarian-adrenal interactions in regulation of body weight by female rats. J. Comp. Physiol. Psychol. 81, 192-211.
- Mueller, K. and Hsiao, S. 1980. Estrus and ovariectomy-induced body weight changes: evidenced for two estrogenic mechanisms. J. Comp. Physiol. Psychol. 5, 1126-1134.
- Park, M. K., Lee, Y. J. and Kang, E. S. 2005. Hepatoprotective effect of Cheonnyuncho (Opuntia humifusa) extract in rats treated carbon tetrachloride. J. Korean Food Sci. Technol. 37, 822-826.
- Park, Y. S. and Kim, M. H. 2012. The effect of eisenia bicyclis extracts on antioxidant activity and serum lipid level in ovariectomized rats. J. Life Sci. 22, 1407-1414. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.10.1407
- Pines, A. 1991. The effects of hormone replacement therapy in normal postmenopausal women : measurements of Doppler-derived parameters of aortic flow. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 164, 806-812. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9378(91)90520-2
- Riggs, B. L., Wahner, H. W., Dunn, W. L., Mazess, R. B., Offord, K. P. and Melton, L. J. 1981. Differential changes in BMD of the appendicular and axial skeleton with aging: relationship to spinal osteoporosis. J. Clin. Invest. 67, 328-335. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI110039
- Rossouw, J .E., Anderson, G. L., Prentice, R. L., LaCroix, A. Z., Kooperberg, C., Stefanick, M. L., Jackson, R. D., Beresford, S. A., Howard, B. V., Johnson, K. C., Kotchen, J. M. and Ockene, J. 2002. Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: principal results From the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trial. JAMA 288, 321-333. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.288.3.321
- Schemmel, R. A. and Teague, R. T. 1982. Obesity in Osborne mendel and S 4B/P1 rats : effects of sucrose solution, castration and treatment with estradiol or insulin. Am. J. Physiol. 243, 347-352.
- Shimizu, H. and Shimomura, Y. 1992. Colonic temperature was not changed in the development of obesity after ovariectomy. Exp. Clin. Endocrinol. 2, 99-101.
- Tesfamariam, B. 1994. Free radicals in diabetic endothelial cell dysfunction. Free Rad. Biol. Med. 16, 383-391. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(94)90040-X
- Wolfgang, W., Huberus, J., Tamara, B., Alexander, S., Volker, C., Christoph, G. and Dana, S. W. 2003. Phytoestrogen: endocrine disrupters or replacement for hormone replacement therapy. Maturitas 4, 1-12.
- Yamazaki, I. and Yamaguchi, H. 1989. Characteristics of an ovariectomized osteogenic rat model. J. Bone Miner. Res. 4, 13-22.
- Yoon, J. A. and Son, Y. S. 2009. Effects of fruits and stems of Opuntia ficus-indica on blood glucose and lipid metabolism in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 38, 146-153. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.2.146
- Yoon, J. A. and Son, Y. S. 2009. Effects of Opuntia ficus- indica complexes B (OCB) on blood glucose and lipid metabolism in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Korean J. Food Nutr. 22, 48-56.
- Yoon, J. A., Hahm, S. W., Park, J. and Son, Y. S. 2009. Total polyphenol and flavonoid of fruit extract of Opuntia humifusa and its inhibitory effect on the growth of MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 38, 1679-1684. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.12.1679
- Zeher, A. M., Schachlinger, V. and Hohnlosr, S. H. 1994. Coronary atherosclerotic wall thickening and vascular reactivity in humans: Elevated high-density lipoprotein levels ameliorate abnormal vasoconstriction in early atherosclerosis. Circulation 25, 2525-2532.
- Anti-thrombosis Activity of the Aerial Part of Aruncus dioicus var kamtschaticus vol.24, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.5.515
- Evaluation of in-vitro Antithrombosis Activity of Lees of Korean Traditional Wine vol.24, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.8.865
- Effect of oral guava leaf extract administration on antioxidant and vasculoprotective activity in ovariectomized rats vol.50, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2017.50.3.236
- Anti-thrombosis and anti-oxidative activity of the root of Arctium lappa L. vol.21, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2014.21.5.727
- Chemical compositions and antioxidant activities of Cheonnyuncho (Opuntia humifusa) stems and fruit vol.23, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2016.23.1.89
- Biological Activity of Ethanol Extracts from Fermented Opuntia humifusa with 3 Different Mushroom Mycelia vol.28, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2015.28.4.620