- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Phlogopite-Bearing Orthopyroxenite in Andong Ultramafic Complex
안동 초염기성암 복합체의 함금운모 사방휘석암
- Received : 2012.12.03
- Accepted : 2012.12.23
- Published : 2012.12.31
Phlogopite-bearing orthopyroxenite occurs in Andong ultramafic complex in a planar body of about 1 meter thick, and consists mostly of coarse subhedral to euhedral orthopyroxene crystals. Minor minerals are clinopyroxene, phlogopite, and plagioclase with trace chromian spinel, pentlandite, apatite, and zircon. Clinopyroxene occurs as either exolution lamella or interstitial fillings with phlogopite and plagioclase. Electron microprobe analysis showed that orthopyroxenes are entatite, while clinopyroxenes are diopside with little chemical variation through samples. Hydrous alteration resulted in the formation of talc, amphibole, and serpentine from orthopyroxene, clinopyroxene, and plagioclase, respectively. The orthopyroxenite was probably formed by the fractional crystallization of the ultramafic magma. Radiogenic dating of phlogopite and zircon of the orthopyroxenite would reveal the age of the Andong ultramafic complex.
- Choi, P.-Y., Lee, S.R., Choi, H.-I., Hwang, J.-H., Kwon, S.-K., Ko, I.-S., and An, G.-O. (2002) Movement history of the Andong Fault System: Geometric and tectonic approaches. Geosciences Journal, 6, 91-102. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03028280
- Choi, S.H. (2012) Lithospheric mantle beneath the Korean Peninsula: Implications from peridotite xenoliths in alkali basalts. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, 21, 235-247 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2012.21.2.235
- Choi, S.H., Kwon, S.-T., Mukasa, S.B., and Sagong, H. (2005) Sr-Nd-Pb isotope and trace element systematics of mantle xenoliths from Late Cenozoic alkaline lavas, South Korea. Chemical Geology, 221, 40-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2005.04.008
- Choi, S.H., Mukasa, S.B., Zhou, X.-H., Xian, X.H., and Andronikov, A.V. (2008) Mantle dynamics beneath East Asia constrained by Sr, Nd, Pb and Hf isotopic systematics of ultramafic xenoliths and their host basalts from Hannuoba,North China. Chemical Geology, 248, 40-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2007.10.008
- Heo, S., Yang, K., and Jeong, H. (2012) Hydrous minerals (phlogopite and amphibole) from basaltic rocks, Jeju Island: Evidences for modal metasomatism. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, 21, 13-20 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2012.21.1.013
- Hwang, J.Y., Kim, J.J., and Ock, S.S. (1993) Genesis and mineralogy of the serpentinite deposits. Journal of the Korean Institute of Mining Geology, 26, 1-10 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Kang, J.-H., and Lee, D.-S. (2008) Geological structure around Andong Fault System, Pungcheon-myeon, Andong, Korea. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, 17, 83-94 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Kil, Y.W., Shin, H.J., Yun, S.H., Koh, J.-S., and Ahn, U.-S. (2008) Geochemical characteristics of mineral phases in the mantle xenoliths from Sunheul-ri, Jeju Island. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 21, 373-382 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Kim, B.K., Lee, H.Y., Kim, S.J., and Jeong, J.G. (1988) Geological map of the Andong sheet (1: 50,000). Korea Institute of Energy and Resources, Seoul, Korea, 20p.
- Lee, H.Y. (1995) Petrochemical study on the mantle xenoliths in alkali basalts from S. Korea: P-T regime of upper mantle. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, 4, 104-123 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, M.W. (1984) Petrology of mafic inclusion in Jeju volcanic rocks. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, 20, 306-313 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lee, S.R. and Walker, R.J. (2006) Re-Os isotope systematics of mantle xenoliths from South Korea: Evidence for complex growth and loss of lithospheric mantle beneath East Asia. Chemical Geology, 231, 90-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2006.01.003
- Oh, C.W., Rajesh, V.J., Seo, J., Choi, S.G., and Lee, J.H. (2010) Spinel composition and tectonic relevance of the Bibong ultramafic bodies in the Hongseong collision belt, South Korea. Lithos 117, 198-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lithos.2010.02.015
- Oh, C.W., Seo, J., Choi, S.G., Rajesh, V.J., and Lee, J.H. (2012) U-Pb SHRIMP zircon geochronology, petrogenesis, and tectonic setting of the Neoproterozoic Baekdong ultramafic rocks in the Hongseong Collision Belt, South Korea. Lithos, 128-131, 100-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lithos.2011.10.008
- Park, G., Hwang, J., Oh, J., and Lee, H. (2012) Occurrence and mineralogy of serpentinite from Bibong mine in Chungyang area, Korea. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 25, 9-21 (in Korean with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2012.25.1.009
- Park, K-H. (2010) Evolution of the subcontinental lithospheric mantle of Korean Peninsula: Partial loss and its timing. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, 19, 199-208 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Shin, H.-J., Kil, Y.-W., Jin, M-S., and Lee, S.-H. (2006) Petrological study on upper mantle xenoliths from Asan and Pyeongtaek area. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, 42, 95-113 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Song, S., Choi, S.G., Oh, C.H., Seo, J.E., and Choi, S. (2004) Petrography and geochemistry of the ultramafic rocks from the Hongseong and Kwangcheon areas, Chungcheongnam-Do. Economic and Environmental Geology, 37, 477-497 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Song, S.H., Choi, S.G., and Woo, J.G. (1997) Genetic implications of ultramafic rocks from the Bibong area in the Kyeonggi gneiss complex. Economic and Environmental Geology, 30, 477-491.
- Streckeisen, A. (1973) Plutonic rocks. Classification and nomenclature recommended by the IUGS Subcommission on the Systematics of Igneous Rocks. Geotimes, 63, 773-785.
- Whattam, S.A., Cho, M., and Smith, I.E.M. (2011) Magmatic peridotites and pyroxenites, Andong Ultramafic Complex, Korea: Geochemical evidence for supra-subduction zone formation and extensive melt-lrock interaction. Lithos, 127, 599-618. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lithos.2011.06.013
- Woo, Y.-K. and Suh, M.-C. (2000) Petrological society on the ultramafic rocks in Choongnam area. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 21, 323-336 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Yang, K. and Hwang, B.-H. (2005) Origins of clinopyroxenes in alkaline basalt from Jeju Island. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, 18, 33-43 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Yu, J.-E., Yang, K., and Kim, J. (2010) Textural and geochemical characteristics and their relation of spinel peridotite xenoliths from Jeju Island. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, 2010, 227-244 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Mineral ages and zircon Hf isotopic composition of the Andong ultramafic complex: implications for the evolution of Mesozoic subduction system and subcontinental lithospheric mantle beneath SE Korea vol.151, pp.05, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0016756813000757
Grant : 행성자원 지화학 분석용 표준물질, 계측기 및 모사토 개발
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원