- Volume 32 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Optimization of Carbon Sources to Improve Antioxidant Activity in Solid State Fermentation of Persimmon peel Using Lactic Acid Bacteria
- Hwang, Joo Hwan (Faculty of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Eun Joong (Faculty of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Lee, Sang Moo (Faculty of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2012.11.06
- Accepted : 2012.11.25
- Published : 2012.12.31
The present study was conducted to develop persimmon peel, a by-product of dried persimmon manufacturing, as a feed additive via lactic acid bacteria fermentation. Pediococcus pentosaceus, Lactobacillus plantarum, and three strains of Leuconostoc mesenteroides were used as a starter culture in the solid state fermentation of persimmon peel, and antioxidant activity and total polyphenol content were assessed. Leuconostoc mesenteroides KCTC 3100 showed high antioxidant activity (p<0.05), whereas Pediococcus pentosaceus showed high total polyphenol content (p<0.05). These two strains were thus selected as starter culture strains. Glucose, sucrose and molasses were used as variables for optimization and a total 15 experimental runs were produced according to Box-Behnken design. Regarding significant effects of variables, molasses showed linear and square effects on antioxidant activity of persimmon peel fermentation (p<0.05). In conclusion, optimum concentrations of glucose, sucrose, and molasses were determined to be 4.2, 3.9 and 5.3 g/L, respectively, using a response surface model. Antioxidant activity was also improved 2.5 fold after optimization.
Grant : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science and Technology Development
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Abrams, D., Barbosa, J., Albano, H., Silva, J., Gibbs, P.A. and Teixeira, P. 2011. Characteriz- ation of bacPPK34 a bacteriocin produced by Pediococcus pentosaceus strain K34 isolated from "Alheira". Food Control. 22:940-946. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2010.11.029
- Amdoun, R., Khelifi, L., Khelifi Slaoui, M., Amroune, S., Asch, M., Assaf-Ducrocq, C. and Gontier, E. 2010. Optimization of the culture medium composition to improve the production of hyoscyamine in elicited Datura stramonium L. hairy roots using the response surface methodology (RSM). International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 11:4726-4740. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms11114726
- Box, G.E.P. and Behnken, D.W. 1960. Some new three level designs for the study of quantitative variables. Technometrics. 2:455-475. https://doi.org/10.1080/00401706.1960.10489912
- Chang, J.Y. and Chang, H.C. 2010. Improvements in the quality and shelf life of kimchi by fermentation with the induced bacteriocinproducing strain, Leuconostoc citreum GJ7 as a starter. Journal of Food Science. 75:M103-M110. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2009.01486.x
- Chang, W.K., Cho, S.B., Kim, D.W., Lee, S.S. and Kim, S.K. 2010. Cell growth and antioxidant activity on onion juice fermentation by using Lactobacillus plantarum as animal probiotics. Journal of Life Science. 20:1729-1737. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.11.1729
- Cho, S.B., Chang, W.K., Kim, Y.J., Moon, H.I., Joo, J.W., Choi, I.S., Seo, K.H. and Kim, S. K. 2010. Effects of plant oils and minerals for the inhibition of lipase activity of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from fermented pork meat. Korean Journal for Food Science of Animal Resources. 30:764-772. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.5.764
- Coman, G. and Bahrim, G. 2011. Optimization of xylanase production by Streptomyces sp P12-137 using response surface methodology and central composite design. Annals of Microbiology. 61:773- 779. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13213-010-0195-0
- de Vries, M.C., Vaughan, E.E., Kleerebezem, M. and de Vos, W.M. 2006. Lactobacillus plantarumsurvival, functional and potential probiotic properties in the human intestinal tract. Intern- ational Dairy Journal. 16:1018-1028. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2005.09.003
- Gardner, N.J., Savard, T., Obermeier, P., Caldwell, G. and Champagne, C.P. 2001. Selection and characterization of mixed starter cultures for lactic acid fermentation of carrot, cabbage, beet and onion vegetable mixtures. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 64:261-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(00)00461-X
- Gorinstein, S., Zachwieja, Z., Folta, M., Barton, H., Piotrowicz, J., Zemser, M., Weisz, M., Trakhtenberg, S. and Martin-Belloso, O. 2001. Comparative contents of dietary fiber, total phenolics, and minerals in persimmons and apples. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 49: 952-957. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000947k
- Hong, K.P. 2011. Optimum conditions for production of fermented grapefruit extract using Leuconostoc mesenteroides KCTC3505. Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietary Life. 21:661- 668.
- Itoh, T., Ohguchi, K., Nakajima, C., Oyama, M., Iinuma, M., Nozawa, Y., Akao, Y. and Ito, M. 2011. Inhibitory effects of flavonoid glycosides isolated from the peel of Japanese persimmon (Diospyros kaki Fuyu) on antigen-stimulated degranulation in rat basophilic leukaemia RBL-2H3 cells. Food Chemistry. 126:289-294. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.10.058
- Juan, M.Y. and Chou, C.-C. 2010. Enhancement of antioxidant activity, total phenolic and flavonoid content of black soybeans by solid state fermentation with Bacillus subtilis BCRC 14715. Food Microbiology. 27:586-591. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2009.11.002
- Kim, Y.J. 2005. Effect of dietary dried persimmon by-product on physico-chemical properties of chicken meat. Korean Journal for Food Science of Animal Resources. 25:436-441.
- Lee, M.R.F., Scott, M.B., Tweed, J.K.S., Minchin, F.R. and Davies, D.R. 2008. Effects of polyphenol oxidase on lipolysis and proteolysis of red clover silage with and without a silage inoculant (Lactobacillus plantarum L54). Animal Feed Science and Technology. 144:125-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2007.09.035
- Minitab Inc. 2010. Meet Minitab 16. State College, PA, Minitab Inc. (www.minitab.com).
- Powell, J.E., Witthuhn, R.C., Todorov, S.D. and Dicks, L.M.T. 2007. Characterization of bacteriocin ST8KF produced by a kefir isolate Lactobacillus plantarum ST8KF. International Dairy Journal. 17: 190-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2006.02.012
- Rodrigues, L.R., Teixeira, J.A. and Oliveira, R. 2006. Low-cost fermentative medium for biosur- factant production by probiotic bacteria. Bio- chemical Engineering Journal. 32:135-142.
- Todorov, S.D., van Reenen, C.A. and Dicks, L. M.T. 2004. Optimization of bacteriocin production by Lactobacillus plantarum ST13BR, a strain isolated from barley beer. Journal of General and Applied Microbiology. 50:149-157. https://doi.org/10.2323/jgam.50.149
- Yokozawa, T., Kim, Y.A., Kim, H.Y., Lee, Y.A. and Nonaka, G. 2007. Protective effect of persimmon peel polyphenol against high glucose- induced oxidative stress in LLC-PK1 cells. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 45:1979-1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2007.04.018