- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Effective Teaching Method for Bridge Resource Management in Korea
선교자원관리의 효과적인 교육방법에 관한 연구
- Lan, Kim Thi Thu (Graduate School of Mokpo National Maritime University) ;
- Jeong, Jung-Sik (Division of International Maritime International Transportation Science) ;
- Jeong, Jae-Yong (Division of International Maritime International Transportation Science)
- Received : 2012.11.02
- Accepted : 2012.12.27
- Published : 2012.12.31
In 2010 the Manila Amendments established the highest practicable standards for officers and engineers. This amendments includes knowledge, understanding, skills, and proficiency required for a deck officer in terms of the BRM (Bridge Resource Management) to reduce human errors, stated in the International Convention on Standards of Training, Cerification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW). This paper proposes a proper direction to improve BRM education program in Korea. In relation to the BRM program, its contents and education method were analyzed through the satisfactions survey for cadets and the experienced officers. As a consequence, this research gives several suggestions to improve the current BRM course.
- Adams, Michael R.(2006), Shipboard Bridge Resource Management, NOR' EASTER PRESS, EASTER, pp. 83-98, pp. 139-148.
- Asyali, E., O. Saatcioglu and A. G. Cerit(2006), Cooperative learning and teamwork effectiveness impacts of education period on cadets, Maritime Security and MET, pp. 337-338.
- Barnett, Michael, David Gatfiels, and Claire Pekcan(2003), "A Research Agenda in Maritime Crew Resource Management", Proceedings of the International Conference on Team Resource Management in the 21st Century, pp. 1-3.
- Edgar, Dale(1969), Audiovisual Methods in Teaching, 3rd Ed., New York, The Dryden Press, p. 108.
- IMO(2010), Final Act of any instruments, Resolutions and Recommendations Resulting from the Work of the Conference, Resolution 2 the Manila Amendments to Seafarers' Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) Code, STCW/COF.2/34 ANNEX 1, pp. 35-36.
- Jeong, Jae Yong and Yu Chang Sung(2011), Bridge Resource Management, Young-Tree Press, pp. 4-6.
- Rothblum, Anita M.(2002), "Human factors in Incident Investigation and Analysis," 2nd International Workshop on Human Factors in Offshore Operations, Houston TX., pp. 61-66.
- Schacter, Daniel L.(2001), The seven sins of memory: How the mind forgets and remembers, New York, Houghton Mifflin, pp. 60-73.
- Winbow, A.(2002), "The Importance of Effective Communication," International Seminar on Maritime English; STCW and Human Element Section IMO, pp. 20-22.
- Yin, Robert K.(2003), Case Study Research: Design & Methods, 3rd Ed., Applied Social Research Methods, Vol.5, London, SAGE Publications Inc., pp. 19-20.
- Yousefi, H. and R. Seyedjavadin(2012), The Role of Human Factors and Bridge Resource Management in Reducing Maritime Casualties, TransNav Journal, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 391-396.