- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Survey of Perceived Stress, Depression, Body Mass Index and Nutrient Intakes for Soldiers in the Army
육군 병사의 스트레스, 우울, 체질량지수와 영양소 섭취량에 대한 조사
Choi, Seon Young;Choi-Kwon, Smi
- Received : 2012.07.31
- Accepted : 2012.10.15
- Published : 2012.11.30
Purpose: This study is to investigate perceived stress, depression, body mass index (BMI), and nutrient intakes of soldiers in the army. Methods: The subjects were 301 soldiers recruited from two divisions of the army in Kangwon-Do. The data was collected from August 3 to 9, 2009. Perceived stress, depression, lifestyle, dietary habits, BMI, and nutrient intake were assessed. Results: Subjects' distribution for normal weight, underweight, overweight, and obese was 67.4%, 0.7%, 16.3%, and 15.6%, respectively. BMI was related to class, service branch, duration of military service and being on a diet, whereas BMI was not found to be related to perceived stress, and depression. Some nutrient intakes such as dietary fiber, vitamin C, and Calcium was related to depression. Conclusion: This study suggests that soldiers need to undergo stress, depression management, and a nutritional education program.
Soldier;Body mass index;Nutrient intakes;Perceived Stress;Depression
- Alpert, J. E., Mischoulon, D., Nierenberg, A. A., & Fava, M. (2000). Nutrition and depression : focus on folate. Nutrition, 16, 544-546. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-9007(00)00327-0
- Blaustein, M. P., & Hamlyn, J. M. (1983). Role of natriuretic factor in essential hypertension : an hypothesis. Annals of Internal Medicine, 98, 785-791. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-98-5-785
- Chang, K. Y. (1982). The General Methods & palatability of Food. Seoul: Gaemunsa.
- Cho, J. Y., & Song, J. C. (2007). Dietary Behavior, Health Status, and Perceived Stress of University Students. Journal of Korean Society Food and Nutrition, 20, 476-486.
- Choi, H. M. (2009). 21 Century Nutrition. Seoul: Kyomunsa.
- Deuster, P. A., Sridhar, A., Becker, W. J., Coll, R., O'Brien, K. K., & Bathalon, G. (2003). Health assessment of US Army Rangers. Military Medicine, 168(1), 57-62. https://doi.org/10.1093/miled.168.1.57
- Hong, W. H. (1978). Sex difference in the rate of Depression. Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 17, 411.
- Hyun, H. S., & Lee, I. S. (2008). A Study on Stress and Symptoms of Stress in Soldiers in the Army. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 38, 238-247. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.238
- Hyun, M. S., Chung, H. I., & Kang, H. S. (2009). Influencing Factors on Military Adaptation among Korean Soldiers. Journal of Korean Academy Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 18, 305-312.
- Jang, K. S. (2008). The Influencing factors of adjusting to military life for new generation soldiers based on self esteem and stress. Unpublished master's thesis, Soongsil University, Seoul.
- Jang, M. S., Jeon, T. H., Lee, Y. S., & Ko, E. J. (2001). The Pattern of Smoking Habit in Soldiers Who Visited a Military Hospital and Effects of Anti-tobacco Smoking Campaign on It. Korean Journal of Family Medicine, 23, 1377-1384.
- Kim, E. S., & Jung, B. M. (2006). A Survey of Satisfaction and Preference for Military Meal Service and Food Behaviors and Food Habits of Some Military Personnel. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 11, 520-533.
- Kim, J. H., Lee, M. J., Moon, S. J., Shin, S. C., & Kim, M. K. (1993). Ecological Analysis of Food Behavior and Life-Styles Affecting the Prevalence of Depression in Korea. Korean Journal of Nutrition, 26, 1129-1137.
- Kim, Y. R., Jang, H. S., & Ahn, M. R. (2011). Emotional Stress, Dietary Attitude, and Nutrient intake according to BMI and Sex of Middle School Students in Daegu, Kyungpook. Research institute of Curriculum instruction, 15, 633-655. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2011.15.3.633
- Koo, H. J., & Lee, D. T. (2006). Estimation of Physical Activity Levels Using International Physical Activity Questionnaires (IPAQ) in Korean College Students. Journal of Sports Science Research Institute, 24, 65-73.
- Koo, S. S. (2006). A Study on Mental Health of New Generation Soldiers. Korea Academy of Mental Health Social Work, 24, 64-93.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. (2007). A survey on the contents of sugar and sodium intakes. Seoul: Korea Food & Drug Administration.
- Korean Army Headquarters. (2008). The Policy of Army 113 : Personnel management of Soldier. Seoul: Korean Army Headquarters.
- Korean Institute for Health and Social Welfare. (2005). Recommended dietary allowances for Koreans, Korean Society Nutrition. Seoul: Korean Institute for Health and Social Welfare.
- Korean Society for the study of obesity. (1995). Estimation of Body mass index. Retrieved September 3, 2012, from http://www.kosso.or.kr/
- Lazarus, R. S., & Folkman, S. (1984). Stress, appraisal, and coping. New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Lee, J. H., & Cho, J. Y. (1999). Anxiety, Depression and Impulsiveness according to Military Service Duration in Army-Enlisted Males. Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 38, 966-972.
- Lee, S. H., Kang, H. J., Lee, H. J., Kang, M. H., & Park, Y. K. (2010). Six-week supplementation with Chlorella has favorable impact on antioxidant status in Korean male smokers. Nutrition, 26, 175-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2009.03.010
- Lee, Y. M., Joung, Y. K., Yang, I. S., Son, K. H., Moon, S. J., Kim, K. J., & Lee, S. G. (1990). A Study on Food Behavior and Preference of Military Personnel. Journal of the Korean Society of Dietary Culture, 5, 463-472.
- Morris, D. W., Trivedi, M. H., & Rush, A. J. (2008). Folate and unipolar depression. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 14, 277-285. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2007.0663
- National comettee of cholesterol education program. (1996). National cholesterol education program: A Survey of Dietary Habit. Seoul: National comettee of cholesterol education program.
- Oh, S. W. (2005). The effect of military life on body mass index. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Park, H. C. (2001). A study on the quality of life improvement of soldier: focusing on the stressor, social support. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Singh, A., Smoak, B. L., Patterson, K. Y., LeMay, L. G., Veillon, C., & Deuster, P. A. (1991). Biochemical indices of selected trace minerals in men: Effect of stress. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 53(1), 126-131. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/53.1.126
- Son, K. R. (2005). Status of military food service system and satisfaction of soldiers on military food service. Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, Seoul.
- Stark, A. H., Weis, N., Chapnik, L., Barenboim, E., & Reifen, R. (2008). Dietary intake of pilots in the Israeli. Air Force Military Medicine, 173, 780-784. https://doi.org/10.7205/MILMED.173.8.780
- Uglem, S., Frolich, W., Stea, T. H., & Wandel, M. (2008). Preferences and perceptions of personal vegetable consumption: a study among young men in the Norwegian National Guard. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition, 59, 279-290. https://doi.org/10.1080/09637480701496651
- Yoo, J. Y., & Kim, Y. N. (2009). Survey of Cookie Consumption and Nutrition Labelling of Cookie Consumed in High School Students. Korean Journal of Comunity Nutrition, 14, 147-157.