- Volume 24 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Estimation of extreme sea levels at tide-dominated coastal zone
조석이 지배적인 해역의 극치해면 산정
- Received : 2012.10.17
- Accepted : 2012.12.20
- Published : 2012.12.31
An EST-based method which is applicable for estimating extreme sea levels from short sea-level records in a tide dominated coastal zone was developed. Via the method, annual maximum tidal level is chosen from the simulated 1-yr tidal data which are constituted by the independent daily high water levels, short term and long term surge heights and typhoon-induced surge heights. The high water levels are generated considering not only spring/neap tides and annual tide but also 18.6-year lunar nodal cycle. Typhoon-induced surges are selected from the training set which is constructed by observed or simulated surge heights. This yearly simulation is repeated many hundred years to yield the extreme tidal levels, and the whole process is carried out many hundred times repeatedly to get robust statistics of the levels. In addition, validation of the method is also shown by comparing the result with other researches with the tidal data of Mokpo Harbor.
EST;Extreme sea level;Tide-dominated;Surge;Mokpo Harbor
- 강주환, 김양선, 박선중, 심재설 (2012). 조석과 계절풍을 고려 한 EST에 의한 동해연안의 극치해면 산정. 한국해안해양공학회논문집, 24(3), 210-216.
- 강주환, 김양선, 조홍연, 심재설 (2011). 국내 연안의 해일강도 특성. 한국해안해양공학회논문집, 23(6), 458-465.
- 강주환, 문승록 (2000). 조석환경변화를 고려한 목포항의 고극조위 산정. 한국해안해양공학회지, 12(4), 203-209.
- 국립해양조사원 (2012). 해안침수예상도 제작 및 보급(목포외 17개소).
- 국토해양부 (2010). 해일피해 예측 정밀격자 수치모델 구축 및 설계해면 추산 연구.
- 서경덕, 양영철, 전기천, 이동영 (2009). 경험모의기법을 이용한 한반도 주변 해역에서의 극치해면 분석. 한국해안해양공학회 논문집, 21(3), 254-265.
- 정신택, 김정대, 고동휘, 윤길림 (2008). 한국 연안 최극 고조위의 매개변수 추정및 분석. 한국해안해양공학회논문집, 20(5), 482-490.
- Divoky, D. and Resio, D.T. (2007). Performance of the JPM and EST methods in storm surge studies. 10th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting, and Coastal Hazard Symposium, North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii.
- Goring, D.G., Stephens, S.A., Bell, R.G. and Pearson, C.P. (2011). Estimation of extreme sea levels in a tide-dominated environment using short data records. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering, 137(3), 150-159. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WW.1943-5460.0000071
- Hawkes, P.J., Gouldby, B.R., Tawn, J.A. and Owen, M.W. (2002). The joint probability of waves and water levels in coastal engineering design. Journal of Hydraulic Research, 40(3), 241-251. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221680209499940
- Horsburgh, K.J. and Wilson, C. (2007). Tide-surge interaction and its role in the distribution of surge residuals in the North Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research, 112, 1-13.
- Kang, J.W. (1999). Changes in tidal characteristics as a result of the construction of sea-dike/sea-walls in the Mokpo coastal zone in Korea. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 48, 429-438. https://doi.org/10.1006/ecss.1998.0464
- Mattocks, C. and Forbes, C. (2008). A real-time, event-triggered storm surge forecasting system for the state of North Carolina. Ocean Modelling, 25, 95-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocemod.2008.06.008
- Murguia, J.S. and Campose-Canton, E. (2006). Wavelet analysis of chaotic time series. Revista Mexicana De Fisica, 52, 155-162.
- Pugh, D. (1987). Tides, Surges and Mean Sea-Level. John Wiley & Sons, 107-109.
- Pugh, D. (2004). Changing sea levels. Cambridge, 180-207.
- Resio, D.T. and Irish, J. (2008). Hurricane characteristics along the Northern US Gulf of Mexico coast for surge prediction. Solutions to Coastal Disasters Congress 2008, 170-184.
- Scheffner, N.W., Clausner, J.E., Militello, A., Borgman, L.E., Edge, B.L. and Grace, P.J. (1999). Use and application of the empirical simulation technique; User's guide. US Army Corps of Engineers.
- Shrestha, P.L., Lenaburg, R.T., Scheffner, N.W., Rezakhani, M., Hamilton, D. and Cydzik, K. (2011). Storm surge study of the Hawaiian islands using the EST method. World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2011, 2286-2294.
- Toro, G.R., Resio, D.T., Divoky, D., Niedoroda, A.W. and Reed, C. (2010). Efficient joint-probability methods for hurricane surge frequency analysis. Ocean Engineering, 37, 125-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2009.09.004
- Frequency Analysis on Surge Height by Numerical Simulation of a Standard Typhoon vol.28, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2016.28.5.284
- Appearance of Tide-surge Interaction along the West/South Coasts vol.26, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2014.26.6.352
- Estimation of Extreme Sea Levels Reflecting Tide-Surge Characteristics vol.30, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2018.30.3.103
Supported by : 지식경제부