- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Nursing Core Competencies Needed in the Fields of Nursing Practice for Graduates in Nursing
간호실무현장에서 요구하는 간호대학 졸업생들의 간호핵심역량
- Lee, Sun-Kyoung (Seoul Women's College of Nursing) ;
- Park, Sun Nam (Seoul Women's College of Nursing) ;
- Jeong, Seok Hee (College of Nursing, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2012.11.12
- Accepted : 2012.12.24
- Published : 2012.12.31
Purpose: This study was done to provide information on issues of nursing core competencies needed in the fields of nursing practice for graduates in nursing, from the perspective of nursing managers, and to make suggestion for improving nursing education programs. Methods: Ten nursing managers participated in this study. They were in charge of clinical nursing education in the fields of nursing practice. Data were collected using focus group interviews and analyzed with the content analysis methodology of Downe - Wamboldt's. Results: Six types of nursing core competency - therapeutic nursing competency, professional nursing competency, administrative nursing competency, humanistic nursing competency, relational nursing competency, and personal nursing competency - were identified as nursing core competencies needed in the fields of nursing practice for graduates in nursing. Conclusion: Results of the study show important evidence for decision-making about nursing curriculum revision based on nursing core competency, both in the classroom and in nursing practice areas. These results should contribute to the development of evaluation indicators for nursing students or new nurses. Further research is required to measure degree of nursing core competency in graduates of nursing and to identify the effect of competency-based education for improving nursing core competency.
Supported by : 서울여자간호대학교
- Byeon, Y. S., Lim, N. Y., Kang, K. S., Sung, M. S., Won, J. S., Ko, I. S., et al. (2003). Clinical nursing competency for new graduate nurses: A grounded theory approach. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 10, 47-56.
- Campbell, B., & Mackay, G. (2001). Continuing competence: An Ontario nursing regulatory program that supports nurses and employers. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 25(2), 22-30. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006216-200101000-00006
- Chaung, S. K. (2011). Critical thinking disposition, problem solving ability, and clinical competence in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals of Nursing, 18, 71-78.
- Choi, J. S., & Eun, Y. (2006). A study on the clinical competence according to clinical ladder of operating room nurses. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 12, 60-69.
- Chung, S. Y. (2012). Nursing informatics competencies of university hospital nurses in Korea. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Downe-Wamboldt, B. (1992). Content analysis: Method, applications, and issues. Health Care for Women International, 13, 313-321. https://doi.org/10.1080/07399339209516006
- Ha, N. S., & Choi, J. (2010). An analysis of nursing competency affecting on job satisfaction and nursing performance among clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16, 286-294. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.3.286
- Hall, L. W., Moore, S. M., & Barnsteiner, J. H. (2008) Quality and nursing: Moving from a concept to a core competency. Urologic Nursing, 28, 417-426.
- Hsu, L.-L., & Hsieh, S.-I. (2009). Testing of a measurement model for baccalaureate nursing students' self-evaluation of core competencies. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 65, 2453-2463. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05124.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05124.x
- Jang, K. S. (2000). A study on establishment of clinical career development model of nurse. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Ji, E. O. (2009). A study on field adaptation of new nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kang, Y. S., Lee, S. J., Kim, I. J., & Ahn, K. H. (2008). A measurement scale development of nursing competence for nurses working in general wards. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 14, 219-228.
- Kim, M. S. (2009). Role of self-leadership in the relationship between organizational culture and informatics competency. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 39(5), 731-740. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.5.731 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.5.731
- Kim, S.-Y., Joung, S.-E., & Hwang, C.-I. (2011). A comparison on general education curriculum of 4-year and 3-year nursing schools in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41, 101-109. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.101 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.101
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education. (2011, May). Study of core nursing competence. Paper presented at the public hearing of the nursing education core competence (focused on basic nursing skills) evaluation, Seoul, Korea.
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education. (2012). Nurses' core competencies and nursing education learning outcomes. Retrieved December 10, 2012, from http://kabon.or.kr/HyAdmin/upload/goodFile/120121127132143.pdf
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing. (2012, May). Nursing education accreditation guidelines. Symposium conducted at the explanatory meeting of the '2012 Nursing Education Accreditation Evaluation, Seoul, Korea.
- Kwon, I. G., Jung, K. H., Cho, H. S., Hwang, J. W., Kim, J. Y., & Jeon, K. O. (2002). Development and validation of the core competency evaluation tool for new graduate nurse's preceptor. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 8, 535-549.
- Lenburg, C. B. (1999). The framework, concepts and methods of competency outcomes and performance assessment (COPA) model. Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 4(2), Manuscript 2. Retrieved March 25, 2011, from http://www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/ANAMarketplace/ANAPeriodicals/OJIN/TableofContents/Volume41999/No2Sep1999/COPAModel.aspx
- McLagan, P. (1996). Great ideas revisited. Training & Development, 50, 60-65.
- Meretoja, R., Isoaho, H., & Leino-Kilpi, H. (2004). Nurse competency scale: Development and psychometric testing. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 47, 124-133. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03071.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03071.x
- Morgan, D. L. (1997). Focus groups as qualitative research (S. J. Kim, S. E. Oh, Y. Eun, H. M. Son & M. S. Yi, Trans.). Seoul: Koonja. (Original work published 1997)
- Park, J. H. (2011). Study of abilities required to develop for student in nursing education. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 17, 74-87. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.1.74
- Patton, M. Q. (1990). Qualitative evaluation and research methods (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Song, Y. (2009). A correlation study on self-efficacy, disposition to critical thinking and nursing competency of new nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 16, 56-63.
- Sung, Y. H., & Jeong, J. H. (2006). Defining the core competencies of the nurses in a tertiary hospital and comparing different units based on their respective characteristics. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 12, 76-93.
- Utley-Smith, Q. (2004). 5 competencies needed by new baccalaureate graduates. Nursing Education Perspectives, 25, 166-170.
- Yang, N. Y., & Han, S. S. (2004). Cognition of the preceptors on the preceptor's role stress and competency pre-post preceptorship experience. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 10, 262-270.
- Youk, S. Y. (2003). Nursing competency and indicator development by emergency nurse's clinical ladder. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 9, 481-494.
- Importance and Satisfaction on Nursing Core Competency of Nurses & Nurse Managers in a Community Hospitals vol.14, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2844
- The Effect of Core Competencies and Cognition of Job Competency of Their Senior Nurses on Work Performance in Hospital Nurses vol.19, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.617
- An Identification Study on Core Nursing Competency vol.19, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.663
- Relationship among Essentials of Fundamental Nursing Skills Performance, Stress from Work and Work Capability of New Clinical Nurses vol.20, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.628
- The Effects of Convergence-Based Reeducation on Core Basic Nursing Skills on Nursing Students' Competence and Confidence vol.13, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.4.295
- The Effects of Bibliotherapy Program for Competency Enhancement in Nursing Students vol.16, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6992
- Strategy for Improving Core Nursing Competency-based Education vol.21, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.3.426
- Role Transition of Senior Year Nursing Students: Analysis of Predictors for Role Transition vol.20, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.187
- Effects of Team-Based Learning on the Core Competencies of Nursing Students vol.26, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1097/jnr.0000000000000259
- Core nursing competency assessment tool for graduates of outcome-based nursing education in South Korea: A validation study pp.17427932, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jjns.12223