- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Impact of Unit-level Nurse Practice Environment on Nurse Turnover Intention in the Small and Medium Sized Hospitals
중소병원 간호단위의 간호근무환경이 간호사의 이직의도에 미치는 영향
- Kwon, Jeong Ok (Department of Nursing, Dong-A University) ;
- Kim, Eun-Young (Department of Nursing, Dong-A University)
- Received : 2012.09.27
- Accepted : 2012.12.12
- Published : 2012.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the impact of the unit-level nurse practice environment on nurse turnover intention in the small and medium sized hospitals. Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted using a questionnaire survey with 308 nurses in 38 nursing units of 6 small and medium sized hospitals, having over 200 beds and under 300 beds and located in B metropolitan city. Data were collected from July 20 to August 10, 2011. Data were analyzed using hierarchical multiple regression. Results: The mean turnover intention in nurses of small and medium sized hospitals was
- Aiken, L. H., Clarke, S. P., Sloane, D. M., Lake, E. T., & Cheney, T. (2008). Effects of hospital care environment on patient mortality and nurse outcome. Journal of Nursing Administration, 38, 223-229. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.NNA.0000312773.42352.d7 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NNA.0000312773.42352.d7
- Aiken, L. H., Havens, D. M., & Sloane, D. M. (2000). The magnet nursing services recognition program: A comparison of two groups of magnet hospital. American Journal of Nursing, 100(3), 26-35.
- Baernholdt. M., & Mark, B. (2009). The nurse work environment, job satisfaction and turnover rates in rural and urban nursing units. Journal of Nursing Management, 17, 994-1001. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2009.01027.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2009.01027.x
- Cho, E. H., Choi, M. N., Kim, E. Y., Yoo, I. Y., & Lee, N. J. (2011). Construct validity and reliability of the Korean version of the Practice Environment Scale of Nursing Work Index for Korean nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41, 325-332. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.325 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.325
- Choi, E. H., Kim, J. H., Lee, H. S., Jang, E. H., & Kim, B. S. (2009). The effect of the intramural marketing activities on nurses' job satisfaction and turnover intention. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 15, 29-41.
- Cimiotti, J. P., Quinlan, P. M., Larson, E. L., Pastor, D. K,. Lin, S. X., & Stone, P. W. (2005). The magnet process and the perceived work environment of nurses. Nursing Research, 54, 384-390. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200511000-00004
- Er, K. S., Hur, H. K., Kim, K. K., Cho, Y. J., Kim, E. H., & Kim, S. J. (2004). The relationship between job characteristics, job satisfaction, and intents to leave among hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 9(2), 81-92.
- Hardy, S., & Leiba-O'Sulivan, S. (1998). The power behind empowerment: Implication for research and practice. Human Relation, 51, 451-483. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/001872679805100402 https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679805100402
- Hospital Nurses Association. (2010). Survey on hospital nurse staffing. Seoul: Author.
- Jeong, B. J., Kim, H. S., Hwang, S. K., Park, J. H., Song, S. K., Jeong, M. Y., et al. (2011). A study on the according to the nursing shortage of job satisfaction and turnover intention of nurses. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 5(1), 15-29.
- Jeong, J. H., Kim, J. S., & Kim, K. H. (2008). The risk factors influencing turnover intention of nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 14(1), 35-44.
- Kang, G. N. (2010). Nurses' practice environment, nursing professionalism, career commitment, and turnover intention in the small-medium sized hospital. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University Seoul, Korea.
- Kang, S. Y., Um, Y. R., & Han, S. S. (2005). A professional nursing practice environment and its impact on nurses' task motivation. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 35, 353-361. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.2.353
- Kim, J. K. (2007). Job satisfaction and patient satisfaction related to nurse staffing. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 13, 98-108.
- Kim, J. K., & Park, S. A. (2003). A study of the job satisfaction of clinical nurses related to nurse staffing. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 9, 529-539.
- Kim, M. A., Park, K. O., You, S. J., Kim, M. J., & Kim, E. S. (2009). A survey of nursing activities in small and medium-size hospitals: Reasons for turnover. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 15, 149-165.
- Kim, M. R. (2007). Influential factors on turnover intention of nurses: The affect of nurse's organizational commitment and career commitment to turnover intention. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 13, 335-344.
- Ko, H. J. (2010). Nurse work environments, job satisfaction and intention to leave among nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lake, E. T. (2002). Development of the practice environment scale of the nursing work index. Research in Nursing & Health, 25, 176-188. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nur.10032 https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.10032
- Lake, E. T., & Friese, C. R. (2006). Variations in nursing practice environments relation to staffing and hospital characteristics. Nursing Research, 55, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200601000-00001
- Lee, H. Y. (2011). Effects of professional work environments on hospital. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, Y. J., & Kim, K. B. (2008). Experiences of nurse turnover. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 38, 248-257. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.248
- Lee, Y. T., Kim, J. D., Lee, Y. H., Kang, D. U., & Park, J. E. (2008). Nursing staff supply and survey by differential nursing medical fee. Seoul: Association of Small and Medium Hospitals.
- McCusker, J., Dendukuri, N., Cardinal, L., Laplante, J., & Bambonye, L. (2004). Nursing work environment and quality of care: Differences between units at the same hospital. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, 17, 313-322. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09526860410557561 https://doi.org/10.1108/09526860410557561
- Mobley, W. H. (1982). Employee Turnover: Cause, Consequences and Control. Massachusetts: Addision-Wesley.
- Park, Y. O., Lee, K. J., Cho, E. H., & Park, H. J. (2009). Factors affecting turnover intention of nurses in long-term care facilities for elderly people. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 11, 81-89.
- Yoo, S, J., & Choi, Y, H. (2009). Predictive factors influencing turnover intention of nurses in small and medium-sized hospitals in Daegu city. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 15(1), 16-25.
- Van Bogaert, P., Clarke, S., Roelant, E., Meulemans, H., & Heyning, P. V. (2010). Impacts of unit-level nurse practice environment and burnout on nurse-reported outcomes: A multilevel modelling approach. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 19, 1664-1674. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.05.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.05.006
- The effects of workplace bullying on turnover intention in hospital nurses vol.14, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.241
- Impacts of Critical Thinking Disposition and Nursing Work Environment on Nurses' Clinical Decision Making Abilities vol.22, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.3.304
- Factors Influencing Nurse Turnover Intention of Senior Convalescence Hospitals in the Metropolitan Area vol.25, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.3.156
- The Relationship among Practice Environment, Organizational Justice, and Job Satisfaction of Male Nurses vol.25, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.3.177
- Effects of Nursing Practice Environment and Self-esteem on Critical Thinking Disposition among Clinical Nurses vol.23, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.2.161
- Patterns and Influential Factors of Inter-Regional Migration of New and Experienced Nurses in 2011~2015 vol.47, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2017.47.5.676
- Factors Influencing Nurse Turnover Intention in Small and Medium Sized Hospitals in the Metropolitan Area vol.20, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.5.576
- Effects of General Hospital Nurses' Work Environment on Job Embeddedness and Burnout vol.20, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.1.69
- Relationship between the Practice Environment of Nursing and Critical Thinking Disposition of Nurses in Local General Hospitals vol.20, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.145
- Roles of Empowerment and Emotional Intelligence in the Relationship between Job Embeddedness and Turnover Intension among General Hospital Nurses vol.20, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.302
- Effect of Job Embeddedness and Job Satisfaction on Turnover Intention in Nurses vol.27, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.2.180
- Effects of Nursing Practice Environment, Compassion Fatigue and Compassion Satisfaction on Burnout in Clinical Nurses vol.21, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.193
- Moderating Effects of Work-family Conflict between Job · Organizational · Career Characteristics and Turnover Intention among Nurses in Small and Medium-sized Hospitals vol.21, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.3.297
- Effects of Work Environment, Organizational Culture and Demands at Work on Emotional Labor in Nurses vol.22, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.119
- Effects of Advanced Beginner-Stage Nurses' Sense of Calling, Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment on Retention Intention vol.22, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.137
- Influence of Job Embeddedness Factors on Turnover Intention of Nurses in Small and Medium Sized General Hospitals vol.22, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.158
- A Structural Model of Hospital Nurses' Turnover Intention: Focusing on Organizational Characteristics, Job Satisfaction, and Job Embeddedness vol.22, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.292
- Relationships among Nursing Work Environment, Job Embeddedness, and Turnover Intention in Nurses vol.22, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.279
- Predictors of Turnover Intention among Nurses in Small and Medium-sized Hospitals vol.23, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.5.471
- Influence of Nurses' Work Environment, Organizational Commitment, and Nursing Professionalism on Turnover Intention of Nurses in Long Term Care Hospitals vol.24, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2018.24.4.265
- Effects of Group Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy on the Nurses' Job Stress, Burnout, Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention vol.48, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2018.48.4.432
- Mediating Effect of Self-efficacy in the Relationship between Informal Learning, Shared Leadership and Organizational Socialization of Beginner · Advanced Beginner Nurses vol.24, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2018.24.1.1
- Nursing Tasks and Practice Environment for Nursing Work Perceived by Nurses Working on Comprehensive Wards versus General Wards vol.24, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2018.24.1.10
- Factors Associated with the Choices of Local Hospitals among New Graduate Nurses vol.24, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2018.24.3.202
- Intention to leave among staff nurses in small- and medium-sized hospitals pp.09621067, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.14802
- Factors affecting Organizational Commitment of General Hospital Nurses in Small and Medium Sized Cities vol.25, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2019.25.1.14