- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Seismic Behavior of Circular Sectional RC Bridge Columns with Various Lap-splice Lengths - An Experimental Study -
축방향철근 겹침이음길이에 따른 RC원형 교각의 거동특성 - 실험적 연구 -
- Kim, Ick Hyun (University of Ulsan) ;
- Sun, Chang Ho (University of Ulsan) ;
- Lee, Seung Hwa (University of Ulsan) ;
- Park, Kwang Soon (Korea Infrastructure Safety Corporation) ;
- Seo, Hyeong Yeol (Korea Infrastructure Safety Corporation)
- Received : 2012.11.05
- Accepted : 2012.12.17
- Published : 2012.12.31
It is known that seismic performance of existing bridges having insufficient lateral confinements and lap-splices of longitudinal reinforcements at the base of column decreases dramatically. In this study, small-scaled model tests have been performed to confirm the seismic behaviors of RC bridge piers with various lap-splice lengths. The 8 test models have circular section with diameters of 0.65 m, 0.8 m, 1.0 m, and lap-splice lengths of B-class or C-class. The test results show that the failure modes of models are not depending on the lap-splice length itself but depend on the ratio of lap-splice length to diameter, and that the displacement ductility is also affected by this ratio.
Supported by : 한국시설안전공단
- Seismic assessment and retrofitting guidelines for bridges. Korea Infrastructure Safety Corporation. 2011.
- Priestley MJN., Seible F, Calvi GM. Seismic Design and Retrofit of Bridges. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1996.
- Chai YH, Priestley MJN, Seible F. Seismic retrofit of circular bridge columns for enhanced flexural performance. ACI Structural Journal. 1991 Sep;88(5):572-584.
- Jaradat O, McLean, DI, Marsh ML. Performance of existing bridge columns under cyclic loading-Part1:Experimental results and observed behavior. ACI Structural Journal. 1998 Nov;95(6):695-704.
- Aboutaha RS, MD, Jirsa JO, Kreger ME. Experimental investigation of seismic repair of lap splice failures in damaged concrete columns. ACI Structural Journal. 1999 Mar;96(2):297-306.
- Murat Melek, John W. Wallace. Cyclic Behavior of Columns with Short Lap splices. ACI Structural Journal. 2001 Nov;101(6):802-811.
- Kumar K. Ghosh and Shamim A. Sheikh. Seismic Upgrade with Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Polymer of Columns Containing Lap-Spliced Reinforcing Bars. ACI Stuructural Journal. 2007 Mar;104(2):227-236.
- Kim JK, Kim IH, Lim HW, Juhn GH. Behavior of Solid Circular RC Piers without Seismic Detailing Subjected to Cyclic Lateral Load. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea, 2001 Aug;5(4):83-95.
- Lee DH, Chung TS, Lee JH, Song HJ. Seismic Performance Evaluation of RC Bridge Piers with Lap Splice of Longitudinal Steel in the Aspect Ratio of 4.0. The Magazine of the Korean Society of Civil Engineering. 2002 Sep;22(5-A):1193-1202.
- Kim TH, Park HY, Kim BS, Shin HM. Seismic Performance Evaluation of Reinforced Concrete Bridge Piers with Lap Splices. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2003 Jun;7(3):31-38. https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2003.7.3.031
- Ministry of Construction and Transportation. Standard Specifications for Highway Bridges. 1992.
- Priestley MJN., Park R. Strength and ductility of concrete bridge columns under seismic loading. ACI Structural Journal. 1987;84(8): 61-76.
- Chang GA, Mander JB. Seismic energy based fatigue damage analysis of bridge columns: Part 1. University at Buffalo, State University of New York. Technical Report NCEER-94-0006. 1994.
- Esmaeily GA, Yan Xiao. Seismic behavior of bridge columns subjected to various loading patterns. University of California, Berkeley. PEER Report. 2002 Dec.
- Paulay T, Priestley MJN. Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York. 1992.
- Seismic Performance Assessment of Existing Circular Sectional RC Bridge Columns according to Lap-splice Length of Longitudinal Bars vol.18, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2014.18.4.201
- Nonlinear Seismic Analysis for Performance Assessment of Hollow RC Bridge Columns with Reinforcement Details for Material Quantity Reduction vol.18, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2014.18.5.221