- Volume 31 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Patterns of Waterbirds Abundance and Habitat Use in Rice Fields
논습지에 도래하는 수조류의 서식지 이용과 개체군 특성
- Received : 2012.10.18
- Accepted : 2012.10.23
- Published : 2012.12.31
BACKGROUND: As natural wetlands are decreased by increment of human demand, the importance of rice fields as an alternative habitat for waterbirds is well documented. However, the relationship between waterbirds use and management practice of rice fields has not been fully understood. The present study attempted to understand the changes in temporal abundance of waterbirds and their preference for habitat types in rice fields all year round. METHODS AND RESULTS: Waterbirds census were conducted in rice fields around Asan bay in Korea during April 2009-March 2010 and April 2011-March 2012. In the bird counts, the locations of the observed birds on a 1/2,500 map were recorded along with the local habitat type (paddy, ditch, levee, road). Thirty five species of waterbirds recorded in the rice fields during the survey period and three major groups (shorebirds, herons, and waterfowls) were characterized according to season and micro-habitat use. Shorebirds visited a flooded paddy for feeding during their spring migration season (April-May), and herons used the rice field as feeding sites during their breeding periods (April-October). Most waterfowls were observed in a dry paddy to feed a fallen rice seed and stubs during the winter season (September-March). Waterbird groups selectively used micro-habitats in rice field. Shorebirds and waterfowls mainly preferred at rice paddies, while herons were attracted to most habitat types. CONCLUSION(S): Rice fields supported various waterbirds all year round and waterbird communities using the rice fields were dramatically changed according to seasonal change of rice field condition.
Habitat preference;Micro-habitat;Rice field;Waterbirds
- Azuma, A., Takeuchi, K., 1999. Relationships between population density of frogs and environmental conditions in Yatsu-Habitat, Journal of the Japanese Institute of Landscape Architecture, 62, 573-576 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Baldassarre, G.A., Bolen, E.G., 1994. Waterfowl Ecology and Management, John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York.
- Bengtsson, J., Ahnstrom, J., Weibull, A.C., 2005. The effects of organic agriculture on biodiversity and abundance: a meta-analysis, Journal of Applied Ecology, 42, 261-269. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2664.2005.01005.x
- Benton, T.G., Vickery, J.A., Wilson, J.D., 2003. Farmland biodiversity: is habitat heterogeneity the key?, Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 18, 182-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5347(03)00011-9
- Butler, S. J., Brooks, D., Feber, R.E., Storkey, J., Vickery, J. A., Norris, K., 2009. A cross-taxonomic index for quantifying the health of farmland biodiversity, Journal of Applied Ecology, 46, 1154-1162.
- Cho, S.R., Kim, J.H., 2001. The breeding ecology of Black-winged Stilt in Korea, The Korea Journal of Ornithology, 8, 23-33.
- Choi, Y.S., Kwon, I.K., Yoo, J.C., 2007. Foraging habitat preferences of Herons and Egrets, Journal of Ecology and field Biology, 30, 237-244. https://doi.org/10.5141/JEFB.2007.30.3.237
- Czech, H.A., Parsons, K.C., 2002. Agricultural wetlands and waterbirds: a review. Waterbirds 25(Special Publication 2), 56-65. https://doi.org/10.1675/1524-4695(2002)025[0056:BEOWTI]2.0.CO;2
- Elphick, C.S., Oring, L.W., 1998. Winter management of Californian rice fields for waterbirds. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 95-108. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2664.1998.00274.x
- Elphick, C.S., Oring, L.W., 2002. Winter management of Californian rice fields for waterbirds, Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 95-108.
- Elphick, C.S., 2000. Functional equivalency between rice fields and seminatural wetland habitats, Conservation Biology, 14, 181-191. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-1739.2000.98314.x
- Fasola, M., Ruiz, M., 1996. The value of rice fields as substitutes for natural wetlands for waterbirds in the Mediterrnean region, Colonial Waterbirds, 19, 122-128. https://doi.org/10.2307/1521955
- Fasola, M., 1986. Resource use of foraging herons in agricultural and nonagricultural habitats in Italy, Colonial Waterbirds, 9, 139-148. https://doi.org/10.2307/1521206
- Finlayson, C.M., Davidson, N.C., Spiers, A.G., Stevenson, N.J., 1992. Global wetland inventory-current status and future priorities, Marine and Freshwater Research, 50, 717-727.
- Fujioka, M,. Armacost J.W., Yoshida, H., Maeda, T., 2001. Value of fallow farmlands as summer habitats for waterbirds in a Japanese rural area, Ecological Research, 16, 555-567. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1703.2001.00417.x
- Fujioka, M., Yoshida, H., 2001. The potential and problems of agricultural ecosystems for birds in Japan, Global Environmental. Research, 5, 151-161.
- Gabriel, D., Sait, S. M., Hodgson, J. A., Schmutz, U., Kunin, W. E., Benton, T. G., 2010. Scale matters: the impact of organic farming on biodiversity at different spatial scales, Ecology. Letters, 13, 858-869. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1461-0248.2010.01481.x
- Gregorio, M.T., David, A., Javier, B., Jordi, F., 2011. Using landsat images to map habitat availability for waterbirds in rice fields, Ibis. 153, 684-694. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1474-919X.2011.01147.x
- Hattori, A., Mae, S., 2001. Habitat use and diversity of waterbirds in a coastal lagoon around Lake Biwa, Japan. Ecological. Research, 16, 543-553. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1703.2001.00416.x
- Kwon, Y.S., Yoo, J.C., 2005. A study on the distribution and major habitat of birds in Asanman Bay, South Korea, The Korea Journal of Ornithology, 9, 1-18.
- Lane, S.J., Fujioka, M., 1998. The impact of changes in irrigation practices on the distribution of foraging egrets and herons (Ardeidae) in the rice fields of central Japan, Biological. Conservation, 83, 221-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3207(97)00054-2
- Lourenco, P. M., Mandema, F. S., Hooijmeijer, J. C.E.W., Granadeiro, J. P., Piersma, T., 2010. Site selection and resource depletion in black-tailed godwits Limosa l. limosa eating rice during northward migration, Journal of Animal Ecology, 79, 522-528. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2656.2009.01654.x
- Lourenҫo, P.M., Piersma, T., 2008. Stopover ecology of Black-tailed Godwits Limosa limosa limosa in Portuguese rice fields: a guide on where to feed in winter, Bird Study 55, 194-202. https://doi.org/10.1080/00063650809461522
- Ma, Z., Li, B., Zhao, B., King, K., Tang, S., Chen, J., 2004. Are artificial wetlands good alternatives to natural wetlands for waterbirds?-a case study on Chongming Island, China, Biodiversity Conservation, 13, 333-350. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:BIOC.0000006502.96131.59
- Maeda, T., 2001. Patterns of bird abundance and habitat use in rice fields of the Kanto Plain, central Japan, Ecological Research, 16, 569-585. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1703.2001.00418.x
- Maitland, P.S., Morgan, N.C., 1997. Conservation management of freshwater habitats, Lakes, Rivers and Wetlands. Chapman & Hall, London.
- Mitsch, W.J., Gosselink, J.G., 2000. Wetlands, pp. 571-609, third ed. Johm Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, USA.
- Narusue, M., Uchida, H., 1993. The effect of structural changes of paddy fields on foraging egrets. Strix. 12, 121-130 (in Japanese with English summary).
- Newman, M., Lindsey, A., 2011. A ten-year study of shorebirds at the morpeth wastewater treatment work near Maitland in New South Wales, Stilt. 60, 37-45.
- Osawa, S., Shimada, M., Katsuno, T., 2005. Environmental factors that regulate the density of Rana porosa porosa on the levees of flatland paddy fields. Journal of Rural Planning Association, 24, 91-102 (in Japanese). https://doi.org/10.2750/arp.24.91
- Park, C.Y., Kim, W.Y., Lee, D.P., 2009. Comparison of the characteristics of bird community according to habitat types in rural area of Muan-gun, Jeollanam-do, The Korea Journal of Ornithology, 16, 81-92.
- Park, Y.S., Lee, W.S., Nam, H.K., Lee, K.S., Yoo, J.C., 2007. Patterning waterbirds occurrences at the western costal area of the Korean peninsula in winter using a self-organizing map, Korean Journal of Environmental Biology, 25, 149-157.
- Pierluissi, S., 2010. Breeding waterbirds in rice fields: a global review, Waterbirds 33(Specieal Publication 1), 123-132.
- Richardson, A.J., Taylor, I.R., Growns, J.E., 2001. The foraging ecology of egrets in rice fields in Southern New South wales, Australia, Colonial Waterbirds, 24, 255-264.
- Sanchez-Guzman, J.M., Moran, R., Masero, J.A., Corbacho, C., Costillo, E., Villegas, A., Santiago-Quesada, F., 2007. Identifying new buffer areas for conserving waterbirds in the Mediterranean basin: the importance of the rice fields in Extremadura, Spain, Biodiversity and Conservation, 16, 3333-3344. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10531-006-9018-9
- Sato, N., Maruyama, N., 1996. Foraging site preference of intermediate egrets Egretta intermedia during the breeding season in the eastern part of the Kanto Plain, Japan. Journal of Yamashina Institute for Ornithology, 28, 19-34. https://doi.org/10.3312/jyio1952.28.19
- Shimada, T., 2003. Daily activity pattern and habitat use of Greater White-fronted Geese wintering in Japan: Factors of the population increase, Waterbirds, 25, 371-377.
- Stafford, J.D., Kaminski, R.M., Reinecke, K.J., 2010. Avian foods, foraging and habitat conservation in world rice fields, Waterbirds 33(Specieal Publication 1), 133-150. https://doi.org/10.1675/063.033.s110
- Taft, O.W., Haig, S.M., 2005. The value of agricultural wetlands as invertebrate resources for wintering shorebirds, Agriculture. Ecosystems and Environment, 94, 17-29.
- Tiner, R.W. Jr, 1984. Wetlands of the United States: Current Status and Recent Trends, US Fish & Wildlife Servie, Washington D.C.
- Toral, G.M., Figuerola, J., 2010. Unraveling the importance of rice fields for waterbird populations in Euripe, Biodiversity and Conservation, 19, 3459-3469. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10531-010-9907-9
- Toral, G.M., Aragones, D., Bustamante, J., Figuerola, J., 2011. Using landsat images to map habitat availability for waterbirds in rice fields, Ibis, 153, 684-694. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1474-919X.2011.01147.x
- Tourenq, C., Bennets, R.E., Kowalski, H., Vialet, E., Licchesi, J.L., Kayser, Y., Isenmann, P., 2001. Are ricefields a good alternative to natural marshes for waterbird communities in the Camarguq, Southern France? Biological Conservation, 100, 335-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3207(01)00037-4
- Winqvist, C., Bengtsson, J., Aavik, T., Berendse, F., Clement, L. W., Eggers, S., Fischer, C., Flohre, A., Geiger, F., Liira, J., Pärt, T., Thies, C., Tscharntke, T., Weisser, W. W., Bommarco, R., 2011. Mixed effects of organic farming and landscape complexity on farmland biodiversity and biological control potential across Europe, Journal of Applied Ecology, 48, 570-579. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2664.2010.01950.x
- Wlodarczyk, R., Minias, P., Karczmarek, K., Janiszewski, T., Kleszcz, A., 2007. Different migration strategies used by two inland wader species during autumn migration, case of Wood Sandpiper Tringa glareola and Common Snipe Gallinago gallinago. Ornis Fennica, 84, 119-130.
- Yoo, S.H., Kim, I.K., Kang, T.H., Cho, H.J., Yu, J.P., Lee, S.W., Lee, H.S., 2008. Wintering bird community in Cheonsu Bay and the relationship with food resources, Korea Journal of Environment and Ecology, 22, 301-308.
- Yoo, S.H., Lee, K.S., Yoo, J.C., 2007. Reaction to the vehicle and trade-off between vehicular interruption and food resources of Cranes, Korea Journal of Environment and Ecology, 21, 526-535.
- Role of Invertebrate Prey Abundance on Waterbird Distribution Across Rice Field Growth Stages in Western Kenya vol.38, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1675/063.038.0107
- Patterning Waterbird Assemblages on Rice Fields Using Self-Organizing Map and Random Forest vol.34, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2015.34.3.26
- Wild waterfowl migration and domestic duck density shape the epidemiology of highly pathogenic H5N8 influenza in the Republic of Korea vol.34, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meegid.2015.06.014
- Distribution of Waterbirds in Rice Fields and Their Use of Foraging Habitats vol.38, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1675/063.038.0206
- Status of Birds Using a Rice Paddy in South Korea vol.32, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2013.32.2.155
- Characteristics of Population Dynamics and Habitat Use of Shorebirds in Rice Fields during Spring Migration vol.33, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2014.33.4.334
- Effects of Climate-Changes on Patterns of Seasonal Changes in Bird Population in Rice Fields using a Prey-Predator Model vol.32, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2013.32.4.294
- Influence of Foraging Behaviors of Shorebirds on Habitat use in Rice Fields During Spring Migration vol.34, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2015.34.3.35
- Determinations of Shorebirds Diets during Spring Migration Stopovers in Korean Rice Fields vol.35, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2017.35.4.452