- Volume 32 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical Properties and Tenderness of Hanwoo Loin and Round as affected by Raising Period and Marbling Score
사육기간과 등심의 근내지방도가 거세한우 등심 및 우둔의 이화학적 성상 및 연도에 미치는 영향
- Chin, Koo Bok ;
- Go, Mi Young ;
- Lee, Hong Chul ;
- Chung, Seul Kee ;
- Baik, Kyung Hoon ;
- Choi, Chang Bon
- Received : 2012.03.17
- Accepted : 2012.12.11
- Published : 2012.12.31
This study was performed to investigate the physicochemical properties and tenderness of Hanwoo loin and round cuts, as affected by various raising periods and marbling scores. Five loin and round cuts with various marbling scores (5-9) from Hanwoo at various raising periods (27, 33, 30 mon) were collected. pH, Hunter color values (L, a, b), chemical composition, cooking loss, vacuum purge, and Warner-Bratzler shear values were evaluated according to two-way analysis of variance. No differences in pH values of Hanwoo loin were observed by raising period and marbling scores (p>0.05), but those of Hanwoo round at 27 mon was the lowest. Increased Hunter color values were observed with the increased marbling score and those at 27 and 30 mon were lower than 33 mon. Redness (a) and yellowness (b) of Hanwoo round cuts with the raising period of 27 mon were higher than those at 30 and 33 mon. The raising period of 27 mon showed higher water holding capacity than those of 30 and 33 mon, regardless of Hanwoo cut. Increased shear values (kgf) of Hanwoo round cuts were observed with increasing raising period (p<0.05). Increased marbling score decreased shear values in loin cuts, but no differences were observed in the round cuts. Based on these results, the parameters measured varied with meat cut, and raising period affected round pH, color, chemical composition, vacuum purge, and shear values. Marbling score affected color, chemical composition, water binding capacity, and shear values in loin cuts (p<0.05), but didn't affect any parameters in round cuts (p>0.05).
raising period;marbling score;physicochemical properties;tenderness;Hanwoo loin and round
- American Heart Association (AHA) (1978) Dietary and coronary heart disease. Circulation, 58, 762A-766A.
- AOAC (2000) Official methods of analysis of AOAC Intl. 17th edition. Method. 950.46, 991.36. Association of Analytical Chemists. Gaithersberg, MD, USA.
- Animal Product Grading Service (APGS) (2009) Animal products grading service yearbook, Gunpo, Korea.
- Cho, S. H., Kim, J., Park, B. Y., Seong, P. N., Kang, G. H., Kim, J. H., Jung, S. G., Im, S. K., and Kim, D. H. (2010) Assessment of meat quality properties and development of a palatability prediction model for Korean hanwoo steer beef. Meat Sci. 86, 236-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.05.011
- Cho, S. H., Seong, P. N., Kang, K. H, Park, B. Y., Jung, S. K., Kang, S. M., Kim, Y. C., Kim, J., and Kim, D. H. (2011) Meat quality and nutritional Properties of hanwoo and imported Australian beef. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 31, 772-781. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.5.772
- Choi, H. K. (2012). The focus of animal husbandry. KAPA Magazine 1, 34-35
- Jauregui, C. A., Regenstein, J. N., and Baker, R. C. (1981) A simple centrifugal method for measuring expressible moisture, a water binding property of muscle foods. J. Food Sci. 46, 1271, 1273.
- Kim, B. K, Jung, D. J., Lee, J. H., Hwang, E. G., and Choi, C. B. (2011a) Comparison of growth performance and physicochemical characteristics of hanwoo bulls and steers of different slaughtering Ages. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 31, 257-265. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.2.257
- Kim, N. K., Lim, D., Lee, S. H., Cho, Y. M., Park, E. W., Lee, C. S., Shin, B. S., Kim, T. H., and Yoon D. (2011b). Heat shock protein B1 and its regulatory genes are negatively correlated with intramuscular fat content in the Longissimus thoracis Muscle of hanwoo (Korean Cattlee) steer. J. Agric. Food Chem. 59, 5657-5664 https://doi.org/10.1021/jf200217j
- Kim, C. J. and Lee, E. S. (2003) Effects of quality grade on the chemical, physical and sensory characteristics of hanwoo (Korean native cattle) beef. Meat Sci. 63, 397-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00099-2
- Kim, N. K., Cho, S., Lee, S. H., Park, H. R, Lee, C. S., Cho, Y. M., Choy, Y. H., Yoon, D., Im, S. K., and Park, E. W. (2008) Protein in longissimus muscle of Korean native cattle and their relationship to meat quality. Meat Sci. 80, 1068- 1073. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.04.027
- Lee, J. M., Yoo, Y. M., Park, B. Y., Chae, H. S., Hwang, I. H., and Choi, Y. I. (2005). A research note on predicting the carcass yield of Korean native cattle (Hanwoo). Meat Sci. 69, 583-587. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.09.004
- Lee, Y. J., Kim, C. J., Park, B. Y., Seong, P. N., Kim, J. H., Kang, K. H., Kim, D. H., and Cho, S. H. (2010) Chemical composition, cholesterol, trans-fatty acids contents, pH, meat color, water holding capacity and cooking loss of hanwoo beef (Korean native cattle) quality grade. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 30, 997-1006. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.6.997
- Song, M. K., Jin, G. L., Chang, S. S., Jeong, J., Smith, S. B., and Choi, S. H. (2010) Conjugated linoleic acid content in M. Longissimus dorsi of hanwoo steers fed a concentrate supplemented with soybean oil, sodium bicarbonate-based monesin, fish oil. Meat Sci. 85, 210-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.01.001
- Wheeler, T. L., Shackelford, S. D., and Koohmarrie, M (2000). Variation in proteolysis, sarcomere length, collagen content, and tenderness among major pork muscles. J. Anim. Sci. 78, 958-965.
- Study on Major Korean Protein Sources Before and After Freeze Drying Processing vol.30, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.1.064
- Contribution analysis of Hanwoo carcass traits on unit price in national slaughter house vol.43, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160063
- Quality Characteristics of Eogeul-tang Added with Beef Gristle vol.43, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.3.431
- Relationships between Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Markers and Meat Quality Traits of Duroc Breeding Stocks in Korea vol.29, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0158