- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Meta Analysis of Studies about Breast Self Examination between 2000-2009 in Turkey
- Ergin, Ayla Berkiten (Midwifery, Kocaeli University Vocational School) ;
- Sahin, Nevin Hotun (Department of Obstetric and Gynecologic Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Istanbul University) ;
- Sahin, Fezan Mutlu (Department of Biostatistics, Faculty of Medicine, Osmangazi University) ;
- Yaban, Zuleyha Simsek (Nursing, Kocaeli University Vocational School) ;
- Acar, Zeynep (Midwifery, Kocaeli University Vocational School) ;
- Bektas, Hatice (Midwifery, Kocaeli University Vocational School)
- Published : 2012.07.31
Aim: The aim of this study was to analyze studies in Turkey about self-breast examination and produce conclusive, reliable and detailed basis for future studies. Methods: Studies performed between 2000 and 2009 (until the end of September) were retrieved from databases using breast cancer, breast examination, breast cancer screening and risk factors as key words. Fifty-nine studies were identified and 18 of them (15 journal articles and three theses) were used for the meta-analysis. Results: Married women and women with a family history of breast cancer were found to perform self-breast examination more frequently than single women and women without a family history of breast cancer, respectively (OR=1.02 %CI 0.82-1.63; OR=1.16 %CI 0.82-1.63). According to the health belief model scales, women performing self-breast examination were determined to have 1.7 times higher susceptibility (OR=1.70), 1.34 times higher seriousness perception (OR=1.34), 3.32 times higher health motivation (OR=3.32), 5.21 times more self-efficacy/confidence (OR=5.21) and 2.56 times higher self-breast examination benefit perception (OR=2.56). Conclusion: Nursing care models caused an increase in self-breast examination by women, and thus, it may be useful to organize and evaluate such health-related programs and consider women health perceptions.
- Altunkan H, Akın B, Ege E (2008). Awareness and practice of breast self examination among 20-60 years women. J Breast Health, 4, 84-91.
- American Cancer Society, Inc., Surveillance Research. Available from: ://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/document/acspc-029771.pdf 2011Globocan 2008.
- Arslan M (2007). The trainer role effectivity of nurses for increading the information level of women in breast cancer and breast self exam, Consultant: Assis. Prof. Dr. D. Ali Sahin, Surgical Diseases Nursing Master's Thesis. Afyon Kocatepe University, Afyonkarahisar.
- Avci I, Keskin T (2005). Nursing students' health beliefs intended for breast self examination. J Experimental and Clinical Med, 22, 146-50.
- Avci A I, Atasoy A, Sabah E (2007). The effect on women's beliefs, knowledge, and practices regarding breast self examination of education with video. J Istanbul University Florence Nightingale School of Nursing, 15, 119-28.
- Avci A I (2008a). Factors associated with breast self examination practices and beliefs in female workers at a muslim community. Eur J Oncol Nursing, 12, 127-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2007.11.006
- Avci A I, Altay B, Kocaturk B (2008b). Midwifery students' health beliefs intended for breast self examination. J Breasth Health, 4, 25-8.
- Aydogdu (Gordes) N, Bahar Z (2011). The effects of using health belief and health promotion models in low-ıncome women with regard to breast and cervical cancer early detection behaviour. Dokuz Eylul University School of Nursing Electronic J, 4, 34-40.
- Beydag (Tasci) D.K, Karaoglan H (2007). Effect of breast self examination education to the knowledge and attitudes of female students. Turkish Armed Forces Prev Med Bulletin, 6, 106-11.
- Canbulat N, Uzun O (2008). Health beliefs and breast cancer screening behaviors among female health workers ın Turkey. Eur J Oncol Nursing, 12, 148-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2007.12.002
- Cenesiz E, Atak N (2007). The evaluation of the researches in the health belief model in Turkey. Turkish Armed Forces Prev Med Bulletin, 6, 427-34.
- Cevik G C (2003). The level of knowledge women who applied to the hospitals with suspicious breast lump, about breast cancer and self examination of breast and the effects of self examination of breast on noticing the lump. Consultant: Assis. Prof. Dr. G. Akbulut, Surgical Diseases Nursing Master's Thesis. Afyon Kocatepe University, Afyonkarahisar.
- Ekici E, Utkualp N (2007). Women instructors behaviors towards breast cancer. J Breasth Health, 3, 136-9.
- England Cancer Statics, Avaliable from Office for National Statics Web site: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publications/index.html
- Ergin (Berkiten) A, Sahin (Hotun) N, Bektas H, et al (2011). The evaluation of the studies of nurse and midwives' related to breast cancer in turkey between the years 2000 and 2009. J Breasth Health, 7, 22-6.
- Eroglu N U, Kilic D (2011). Knowledge, attitude and beliefs women attending mammography units have regarding breast cancer and early diagnosis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1855-60.
- Ertem G, Kocer A (2009). Breast self-examination among nurses and midwives in Odemis district in Turkey. Indian J Cancer, 46, 208-13. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.52955
- Gercek S, Duran O, Yildirim G, Karayel H, Demirlicakmak D (2008). Determining the breast cancer and self breast examination belief and the effecting factors among the schoolgirls in state dormitory. J Breast Health, 4, 157-61.
- Gocgeldi E, Acikel H C, Hasde M, et al (2008). Investigation of attitudes and behaviors of a group of women who reside at in Ankara Golbasi on self-breast examination. Fırat Medical J, 13, 261-5.
- Golbasi Z, Kutlar Z, Akdeniz H (2007). The effect of education given by nursing students on womens' knowledge and practice of breast cancer / breast self examination ın a public training. J Breast Health, 3, 53-7.
- Gozum S, Aydin (Avci) I (2003). Champion'un Saglik Inanc Modeli Skalasi'nin Turkce Uyarlamasının Gecerliligi, 2. Uluslararasi 9. Ulusal Hemsirelik Kongresi Kitabi, Antalya.
- Gozum S, Aydin (Avci) I (2004). Validation evidence for Turkish adaptation of champion's health belief model scales. Cancer Nursing, 27, 491-8.
- Gozum S, Karayurt O, Avci (Aydin) I (2004). The result of Turkish adaptations of champion's health belief model scale at breast cancer screening. Turkish J Res Development Nursing, 1, 71-85.
- Guleser N G, Unalan D, Akyildiz Y H (2009). The knowledge and practice of breast self examination among healthcare workers in Kayseri, Turkey. Cancer Nursing, 32, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NCC.0000343361.68129.36
- Gursoy A.A, Yigitbas C, Yilmaz F, Erdal H, Bulut H (2009). The effect of peer education on university students' knowledge of breast self-examination and health beliefs. J Breasth Health, 5, 135-40.
- Harputlu D (2005). The relationship between self-esteem and knowledge of breast self examination practise in female inmates. Consultant: Prof. Dr. A. Bayik, Public Health Nursing Master's Thesis, Ege University, Izmir.
- Hay J, McCaul K, Mangan R (2006). Does Worry about breast cancer predict screening behaviors? A meta-analysis of the prospective evidence. Prev Med, 42, 401-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2006.03.002
- Information Agency for Research on Cancer(IARC) Section of Cancer Information (17.05.2012). Available from Globocan 2008 Fat Stats, http://globocan.iarc.fr/factsheets/populations/factsheet.asp?uno=900#WOMEN
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center M, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Jirojwong S, MacLennan R (2003). Health beliefs perceived self-efficacy, and breast self-examination among Thai Migrants in Brisbane. J Adv Nursing, 41, 241-249. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02552.x
- Karayurt O, Dramali A (2003). Adaptation of champion's health belief model scale to Turkish women and examination of the factors influencing the frequency of breast self examination. The first regional meeting of the Asian pacific organization for cancer prevention congress book (APOPCP), Izmir, 154-155.
- Karayurt O, Coskun A, Cerit K (2008). Nurses' beliefs about breast cancer and breast self examination and their breast self examination performance. J Breast Health, 4, 15-20.
- Koc Z, Saglam Z (2009). Determination of the knowledge and the practice of female patients about breast cancer, preventive measures and breast self examination and effectiveness of education. J Breast Health, 5, 25-33.
- Moodi M, Mood M B, Sharifirad G R, Shahnazi H, Sharifzadeh G (2011). Evaluation of breast self-examination program using health belief model in female students. J Res in Med Sci, 16, 316-22.
- Powe B D, Underwood S, Canales M, Finnie R (2005). Perceptions about breast cancer among college students: implications for nursing education. J Nursing Education, 44, 257-65.
- Saglik Bakanligi Kanserle Savas Dairesi Baskanligi (2005). Yili Turkiye Kanser Istatistikleri-(in Turkish) (Republic of Turkey Ministry of Health, Department of Struggling With Cancer, Turkey Cancer Statistics 2005). Available from: http://ketem.org/istatistik.php
- Sahin F (1999). The use of meta analysis in medicine and an application. Consultant: Prof. Dr. K. Ozdamar, Osmangazi University Institute of Health Sciences Department of Biostatistics PhD Thesis, Eskisehir.
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network, Management of Diabetes, A national clinical guideline ISBN 978 1 905813 58 2 Published March 2010). Available from Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network Web site: http://www.sign.ac.uk/
- Secginli S, Nahcivan N (2003). Meme Kanseri Saglik Inanc Modeli Olcegi: Gecerlik ve Guvenirlik Calismasi. 2. Uluslararasi 9. Ulusal Hemsirelik Kongresi Kitabi, Antalya.
- Secginli S, Nahcivan N (2006). Factors associated with breast cancer screening behaviours in a sample of Turkish women: A questionnaire survey. Int J Nursing Studies, 43, 161-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.02.004
- Temel A M, Karaagaoglu E (2001). Tipta Meta-Analizi. (Meta-Analysis in Medicine). Hacettepe Medical J, 32, 184-90.
- U. S. Deparment of Health and Human Services http://www.hhs.gov/
- Predictors of Progress in the Stage of Adoption of Breast Cancer Screening for Korean Women vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2637
- Breast Cancer Screening Barriers from the Womans Perspective: a Meta-synthesis vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3463
- Predictors of breast self - examination among female teachers in Ethiopia using health belief model vol.73, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13690-015-0087-7
- HER-2 Positive Breast Cancer - a Mini-Review vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.1609
- Factors associated with breast cancer screening awareness and practices of women in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia vol.19, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12905-018-0695-9