- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Comparison of WHO and RECIST Criteria for Evaluation of Clinical Response to Chemotherapy in Patients with Advanced Breast Cancer
- Khokher, Samina (Surgical Division, INMOL Hospital) ;
- Qureshi, Muhammad Usman (Nauman Associates) ;
- Chaudhry, Naseer Ahmad (Pathology Department, University of Health Sciences)
- Published : 2012.07.31
When patients with advanced breast cancer (ABC) are treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy (NACT), efficacy is monitored by the extent of tumor shrinkage. Since their publication in 1981, World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines have been widely practiced in clinical trials and oncologic practice, for standardized tumor response evaluation. With advances in cancer treatment and tumor imaging, a simpler criterion based on one-dimensional rather than bi-dimensional (WHO) tumor measurement, named Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST) was introduced in 2000. Both approaches have four response categories: complete response, partial response, stable disease and progressive disease (PD). Bi-dimensional measurement data of 151 patients with ABC were analysed with WHO and RECIST criteria to compare their response categories and inter criteria reproducibility by Kappa statistics. There was 94% concordance and 9/151 patients were recategorized with RECIST including 6/12 PD cases. RECIST therefore under-estimates and delays diagnosis of PD. This is undesirable because it may delay or negate switch over to alternate therapy. Analysis was repeated with a new criteria named RECIST-Breast (RECIST-B), with a lower threshold for PD (
Response criteria;WHO;RECIST;breast cancer;clinical response;RECIST-breast
- Agarwal G, Pradeep PV, Aggarwal V, Yip CH, Cheung PSY (2007). Spectrum of breast cancer in Asian women. World J Surg, 31, 1031-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-005-0585-9
- Aziz Z (2008). Across generations: cancer treatment in developing countries. J Clin Oncol, 26, 4990-1. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.16.8112
- Bear HD, Anderson S, Brown A, et al (2003). The effect of tumor response of adding sequential preoperative docetaxel to preoperative doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide: preliminary results from national surgical adjuvant breast and bowel project protocol B-27. J Clin Oncol, 21, 4165-74. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.12.005
- Bhurgri Y, Bhurgri A, Nishter S, et al (2006). Pakistan - country profile of cancer and cancer control 1995-2004. J Pak Med Assoc, 56, 124-30.
- Bonadonna G, Valagussa P, Brambilla C, et al (1998). Primary chemotherapy in operable breast cancer: Eight year experience at Milan Cancer Institute. J Clin Oncol, 16, 93-100.
- Cao MD, Giskeodegard GF, Bathen TF et al (2012). Prognostic value of metabolic response in breast cancer patients receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy. BMC Cancer:12:39 available at http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2407/12/39. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-12-39
- Ceresoli GL, Chiti A, Zucali PA, et al (2007). Assessment of tumor response in malignant pleural mesothelioma. Cancer Treat Rev, 33, 533-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2007.07.012
- Cheson BD, Horning SJ, Coiffier B, et al (1999). Report of an international workshop to standardize response criteria for non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. J Clin Oncol, 17, 1244-53.
- Cheson BD, Pfistner B, Juweid ME, et al (2007). Revised response criteria for malignant lymphoma. J Clin Oncol, 25, 579-86. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.09.2403
- Choi H, Charnsangavej C, De Castro Faria S, et al (2004). CT evaluation of the response of gastrointestinal stromal tumors after imatinib mesylate treatment: a quantitative analysis correlated with FDG PET findings. Am J Roentgenol, 183, 1619-28. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.183.6.01831619
- Choi H, Charnsangavej C, Faria SC, et al (2007). Correlation of computed tomography and positron emission tomography in patients with metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumor treated at a single institution with imatinib mesylate: proposal of new computed tomography response criteria. J Clin Oncol, 25, 1753-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.07.3049
- Chopra K (2001). The Indian Scene. J Clin Oncol, 19, 106-11.
- Edeline J, Boucher E, Rolland Y et al (2012). Comparison of tumor response by response evaluation criteria in solid tumors (RECIST) and modified RECIST in patients treated with Sorafenib for hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer, 118, 147-56. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.26255
- Eisenhauer EA, Therasse P, Bogaerts J, et al (2009). New response evaluation criteria in solid tumors: revised RECIST guideline (version 1.1). Eur J Cancer, 45, 228-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2008.10.026
- Ellis P, Smith I, Ashley S, et al (1998). Clinical prognostic and predictive factors in operable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 16, 107-14.
- Eniu A, Carlson RW, Aziz Z et al (2008). Breast Cancer in Limited Resource Countries: Treatment and Allocation of Resources. The Breast, 12, 38-53.
- Faivre S, Zappa M, Vilgrain V, et al (2011). Changes in tumor density in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma treated with sunitinib. Clin Cancer Res, 17, 4504-12. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-10-1708
- Fiorentino C, Berruti A, Bottini A, et al (2001). Accuracy of mammography and echography versus clinical palpation in the assessment of response to primary chemotherapy in breast cancer patients with operable disease. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 69, 143-51. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012277325168
- Fisher B, Bryant J, Wolmark N et al (1998). Effect of Preoperative Chemotherapy on the outcome of women with operable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 16, 2672-85.
- Herrada J, Iyer RB, Atkinson EN, et al (1997). Relative value of physical examination, mammography, and breast sonography in evaluating the size of the primary tumor and regional lymph node metastases in women receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy for locally advanced breast carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 3, 1565-9.
- Hutson TE (2011). Targeted therapies for the treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: clinical evidence. Oncologist, 16, 14-22. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2011-S2-14
- James K, Eisenhauer E, Christian M et al. (1999). Measuring response in solid tumors: Unidimensional versus bidimensional measurement. J Natl Cancer Inst, 91, 523-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/91.6.523
- Khokher S, Mahmood S, Khan SA (2010). Response to Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with advanced breast cancer: A local hospital experience. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 303-8.
- Khokher S, Mahmood S, Qureshi MU, Khan SA, Chaudhry NA (2011). Response to Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with advanced breast cancer: A local hospital experience. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 939-46.
- Khokher S, Qureshi MU, Riaz M, Akhtar N, Saleem A (2012). Clinicopathologic profile of breast cancer patients in Pakistan: Ten years data of a local cancer hospital. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 693-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.2.693
- Kuerer HM, Newman LA, Smith TL, et al (1999). Clinical course of breast cancer patients with complete pathologic primary tumor and axillary lymph node response to doxorubicin based neoadjuvant chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 17, 460-9.
- Miller AB, Hoogstraten B, Staquet M, Winkler A (1981). Reporting results of cancer treatment. Cancer, 47, 207-14. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19810101)47:1<207::AID-CNCR2820470134>3.0.CO;2-6
- Park JO, Lee SI, Song SY, et al (2003). Measuring response in solid tumors: comparison of RECIST and WHO response criteria. Jpn J Clin Oncol;33(10):533-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyg093
- Penault-Llorca F, Abrial C, Raoelfils I, et al (2008). Changes and predivtive and prognostic value of the mitotic index. Ki-67, Cyclin D1 and cyclo-oxygenase-2 in 710 operable breast cancer patients treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy. The Oncologist, 13, 1235-45. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2008-0073
- Rastogi P, Anderson SJ, Bear HD, et al (2008). Preoperative Chemotherapy: Updates of National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project B-18 and B-27. J Clin Oncol, 26, 778-85. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.15.0235
- Scher HI, Morris MJ, Kelly WK, Schwartz LH, Heller G (2005). Prostate cancer clinical trial end points: "RECIST" ing a step backwards. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 5223-32. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-05-0109
- Shankar S, Van Sonnenberg E, Desai J, et al (2005). Gastrointestinal stromal tumor: new nodule-within-a-mass pattern of recurrence after partial response to imatinib mesylate. Radiology, 235, 892-8. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2353040332
- Sperber F, Weinstein Y, Sarid D, et al (2006). Preoperative clinical, mammographic and sonographic assessment of neoadjuvant chemotherapy response in breast cancer. IMAJ, 8, 342-6.
- Therasse P, Arbuck SG, Eisenhauer EA, et al (2000). New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. European organization for research and treatment of cancer, National cancer institute of United States, National cancer institute of Canada. J Natl Cancer Inst, 92, 205-16. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/92.3.205
- Therasse P, Eisenhauer EA, Verweij J (2006). RECIST revisited: a review of validation studies on tumor assessment. Eur J Cancer, 42, 1031-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2006.01.026
- Therasse P (2002). Measuring the clinical response. What does it mean? Eur J Cancer, 38, 1817-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(02)00182-X
- Van Klaveren RJ, Aerts JG, de Bruin H, et al (2004). Inadequacy of the RECIST criteria for response evaluation in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma. Lung Cancer, 43, 63-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5002(03)00292-7
- Von Minckwitz G, Sinn HP, Raab G, et al (2008). Clinical response after two cycles compared to HER2, Ki-67, p53, and bcl-2 in independently predicting a pathological complete response after preoperative chemotherapy in patients with operable carcinoma of the breast. Breast Cancer Res, 10, 30.
- Wahl RL, Jacene H, Kasamon Y, Lodge MA (2009). From RECIST to PERCIST: Evolving considerations for PET response criteria in solid tumors. J Nucl Med, 50, 122-50. https://doi.org/10.2967/jnumed.108.057307
- Wolmark N, Wang J, Mamounas E, et al (2001). Preoperative chemotherapy in patients with operable breast cancer:nine year results from national surgical adjuvant breast and bowel project B-18. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr, 30, 96-102.
- Yip CH, Taib NAM, Mohamed I (2006). Epidemiology of breast cancer in Malaysia Asian pacific. J Cancer Prev, 7, 369-74.
- Information Sources for Serbian Women on Cervical Carcinoma Risk Factors vol.13, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2931
- Is There a Limitation of RECIST Criteria in Prediction of Pathological Response, in Head and Neck Cancers, to Postinduction Chemotherapy? vol.2013, pp.2090-567X, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/259154
- Tumor invasion depth is a useful pathologic assessment for predicting outcomes in cervical squamous cell carcinoma after neoadjuvant radiotherapy vol.10, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13000-015-0426-6
- Comparison of WHO, RECIST 1.1, EORTC, and PERCIST criteria in the evaluation of treatment response in malignant solid tumors pp.0143-3636, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1097/MNM.0000000000000401
- Tissue and Serum miRNA Profile in Locally Advanced Breast Cancer (LABC) in Response to Neo-Adjuvant Chemotherapy (NAC) Treatment vol.11, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0152032
- Efficacy, safety and administration timing of trastuzumab in human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 positive breast cancer patients: A meta-analysis vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2016.3095
- B lymphocytes and T cells in Invasive breast cancer vol.5, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/2162402X.2015.1075112
- Agreement Between Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Pathologic Findings in the Tumor Size Evaluation Before and After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy Treatment vol.27, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1097/IGC.0000000000001038
- Longitudinal Assessment of Intravoxel Incoherent Motion Diffusion Weighted Imaging in Evaluating the Radio-sensitivity of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Treated with Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy pp.2005-9256, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2018.089