- Volume 6 Issue 5
This study was performed to evaluate the validity of the food frequency questionnaire (FFQ), which is being used at the Samsung Medical Center. In total, 305 (190 males and 115 females) participants consented and completed the 3-day diet records and FFQ. Age, gender and energy-adjusted and de-attenuated correlations ranged from 0.317 (polyunsaturated fatty acid) to 0.748 (carbohydrate) with a median value of 0.550. The weighted kappa value ranged from 0.18 (vitamin A) to 0.57 (carbohydrate) with a median value of 0.36. More than 75% of the subjects were classified into the same or adjacent quartiles. The FFQ had reasonably good validity compared with that of another study. Therefore, our FFQ is considered a proper method to assess nutrient intake in healthy Korean adults.
Validation;daily intakes;Korean healthy adults;diet records;food frequency questionnaire
- Van Dongen MC, Lentjes MA, Wijckmans NE, Dirckx C, Lemaître D, Achten W, Celis M, Sieri S, Arnout J, Buntinx F, Siani A, Cappuccio FP, de Lorgeril M, Iacoviello L, Dagnelie PC; European Collaborative Group of the IMMIDIET Project. Validation of a food-frequency questionnaire for Flemish and Italian-native subjects in Belgium: The IMMIDIET study. Nutrition 2011;27:302-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2010.02.006
- Deschamps V, de Lauzon-Guillain B, Lafay L, Borys JM, Charles MA, Romon M. Reproducibility and relative validity of a food-frequency questionnaire among French adults and adolescents. Eur J Clin Nutr 2009;63:282-91. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602914
- Horn-Ross PL, Lee VS, Collins CN, Stewart SL, Canchola AJ, Lee MM, Reynolds P, Clarke CA, Bernstein L, Stram DO. Dietary assessment in the California Teachers Study: reproducibility and validity. Cancer Causes Control 2008;19:595-603. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-008-9124-y
- Shim JS, Oh KW, Suh I, Kim MY, Sohn CY, Lee EJ, Nam CM. A study on validity of a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire for Korean adults. Korean J Community Nutr 2002;7:484-94.
- Lee HJ, Lee HS, Ha MJ, Kye SH, Kim CI, Lee CW, Yoon JS. The development and evaluation of a simple semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire to assess the dietary intake of adults in large cities. Korean J Community Nutr 1997;2:349-65.
- Kim J, Kim Y, Ahn YO, Paik HY, Ahn Y, Tokudome Y, Hamajima N, Inoue M, Tajima K. Development of a food frequency questionnaire in Koreans. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2003;12:243-50.
- Kim J, Chan MM, Shore RE. Development and validation of a food frequency questionnaire for Korean Americans. Int J Food Sci Nutr 2002;53:129-42. https://doi.org/10.1080/09637480220132148
- Kim SH, Choi HN, Hwang JY, Chang N, Kim WY, Chung HW, Yang YJ. Development and evaluation of a food frequency questionnaire for Vietnamese female immigrants in Korea: the Korean Genome and Epidemiology Study (KoGES). Nutr Res Pract 2011;5:260-5. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2011.5.3.260
- Yun SH, Choi BY, Kim MK. The effect of seasoning on the distribution of nutrient intakes by a food-frequency questionnaire in a rural area. Korean J Nutr 2009;42:246-55. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.3.246
- Kim YO, Kim MK, Lee SA, Yoon YM, Sasaki S. A study testing the usefulness of a dish-based food-frequency questionnaire developed for epidemiological studies in Korea. Br J Nutr 2009; 101:1218-27. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114508061497
- Imaeda N, Tokudome Y, Ikeda M, Kitagawa I, Fujiwara N, Tokudome S. Foods contributing to absolute intake and variance in intake of selected vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber in middle-aged Japanese. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 1999;45:519-32. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.45.519
- Barrett JS, Gibson PR. Development and validation of a comprehensive semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire that includes FODMAP intake and glycemic index. J Am Diet Assoc 2010;110:1469-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2010.07.011
- Kesse-Guyot E, Castetbon K, Touvier M, Hercberg S, Galan P. Relative validity and reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire designed for French adults. Ann Nutr Metab 2010;57:153-62. https://doi.org/10.1159/000321680
- Ahn Y, Lee JE, Cho NH, Shin C, Park C, Oh BS, Kimm K. Validation and calibration of semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire: with participants of the Korean Health and Genome Study. Korean J Community Nutr 2004;9:173-82.
- Lim Y, Oh SY. Development of a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire for pre-school children in Korea. Korean J Community Nutr 2002;7:58-66.
- Lee HJ, Park SJ, Kim JH, Kim CI, Chang KJ, Yim KS, Kim KW, Choi HM. Development and validation of a computerized semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire program for evaluating the nutritional status of the Korean elderly. Korean J Community Nutr 2002;7:277-85.
- Won HS, Kim WY. Development and validation of a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire to evaluate nutritional status of Korean elderly. Korean J Nutr 2000;33:314-23.
- Block G, Coyle LM, Hartman AM, Scoppa SM. Revision of dietary analysis software for the Health Habits and History Questionnaire. Am J Epidemiol 1994;139:1190-6.
- Ok KJ. Computerized Nutrient Data Base System and the Development of a Nutritional Analysis Software Program for Koreans. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 1998.
- Korean Nutrition Society. Recommended Dietary Allowances for Koreans, 6th revision. Seoul; 1995.
- Korea Food Industry Association. Household Measures of Common Used Food Items. Seoul; 1998.
- Korean Diabetes Association. Dietary Food Exchange, 2nd edition. Seoul; 1995.
- Rosner B, Willett WC. Interval estimates for correlation coefficients corrected for within-person variation: implications for study design and hypothesis testing. Am J Epidemiol 1988;127:377-86.
- Ahn Y, Kwon E, Shim JE, Park MK, Joo Y, Kimm K, Park C, Kim DH. Validation and reproducibility of food frequency questionnaire for Korean genome epidemiologic study. Eur J Clin Nutr 2007;61:1435-41. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602657
- Song NY, Park MK, Paik HY, Joung H, Kim JS, Park SH. Comparison of frequency and amount of dishes reported in semi-quantitative dish-based frequency questionnaire vs. 12-day dietary records. Korean J Nutr 2010;43:638-52. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.6.638
- Xia W, Sun C, Zhang L, Zhang X, Wang J, Wang H, Wu L. Reproducibility and relative validity of a food frequency questionnaire developed for female adolescents in Suihua, North China. PLoS One 2011;6:e19656. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0019656
- Willett W. Nutritional Epidemiology, 2nd edition. New York: Oxford University Press; 1998.
- Wakai K. A review of food frequency questionnaires developed and validated in Japan. J Epidemiol 2009;19:1-11. https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.JE20081007
- Villegas R, Yang G, Liu D, Xiang YB, Cai H, Zheng W, Shu XO. Validity and reproducibility of the food-frequency questionnaire used in the Shanghai men's health study. Br J Nutr 2007;97:993-1000. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114507669189
- Wikipedia [Internet]. Korea cusine. 2012 [cited 2012 jun 26]. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean cuisine.
- Yang YJ, Kim MK, Hwang SH, Ahn Y, Shim JE, Kim DH. Relative validities of 3-day food records and the food frequency questionnaire. Nutr Res Pract 2010;4:142-8. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2010.4.2.142
- Patterson RE. Methods and Tools for Dietary Intake Assessment in Individuals vs. Groups. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press; 2002. p.523-8.
- Willett WC, Sampson L, Stampfer MJ, Rosner B, Bain C, Witschi J, Hennekens CH, Speizer FE. Reproducibility and validity of a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire. Am J Epidemiol 1985;122:51-65.
- Hong S, Choi Y, Lee HJ, Kim SH, Oe Y, Lee SY, Nam M, Kim YS. Development and validation of a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire to assess diets of Korean type 2 diabetic patients. Korean Diabetes J 2010;34:32-9. https://doi.org/10.4093/kdj.2010.34.1.32
- Bae YJ, Choi HY, Sung MK, Kim MK, Choi MK. Validity and reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire to assess dietary nutrients for prevention and management of metabolic syndrome in Korea. Nutr Res Pract 2010;4:121-7. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2010.4.2.121
- Yim KS, Lee TY, Park HS. The development and validation of a food frequency questionnaire to assess diets of Korean adolescents. Korean J Community Nutr 2003;8:149-59.
- Ji SK, Kim HS, Choi HM. A study on development and validation of food frequency questionnaire for estimating energy intake of women in child-bearing age. Korean J Community Nutr 2008;13:111-24.
- Associations between dietary patterns and screen time among Korean adolescents vol.7, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2013.7.4.330
- Validity and reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire for adults of São Paulo, Brazil vol.17, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1590/1809-4503201400040005
- Total antioxidant capacity of the Korean diet vol.8, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2014.8.2.183
- The relative validity and repeatability of an FFQ for estimating intake of zinc and its absorption modifiers in young and older Saudi adults vol.18, pp.06, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980014001517
- Reproducibility and validity of an FFQ developed for the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) vol.18, pp.08, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980014001712
- Reproducibility and validity of a semi-quantitative FFQ for trace elements vol.116, pp.05, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114516002622
- Majoring in nutrition influences BMI of female college students vol.5, pp.2048-6790, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1017/jns.2015.24
- Prevalence, Risk Factors and Comorbidities of Allergic Rhinitis in South Korea: The Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey vol.28, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.2500/ajra.2014.28.4040
- Development of Food Frequency Questionnaire (FFQ) for the assessment of dietary intake among overweight and obese Saudi young children vol.43, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s41110-018-0088-8
- Development and relative validity of semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire for Korean adults vol.51, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2018.51.1.103