- Volume 6 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Serum immunoglobulin E (IgE) levels and dietary intake of Korean infants and young children with atopic dermatitis
- Lee, Sangeun ;
- Ahn, Kangmo ;
- Paik, Hee Young ;
- Chung, Sang-Jin
- Received : 2012.02.28
- Accepted : 2012.08.10
- Published : 2012.10.31
Atopic dermatitis (AD) has become a serious epidemic in Korean children. We aimed to investigate the association between vitamin C, E and other nutrients, and serum total IgE/specific IgE levels in children with AD. A total of 119 children (0-24 mo) diagnosed with AD were recruited for this cross-sectional study from a medical center in Seoul. A 24 h recall was used to assess dietary intakes. Serum total and six food-allergen specific IgE levels were measured by CAP-FEIA. Serum vitamin E was also measured but only in 25 out of the total 119 participants. Multiple linear regression analysis was performed to estimate the coefficients between serum IgE levels and dietary intake as well as serum vitamin E. Serum vitamin E levels showed a significantly inverse association with serum total IgE and all specific IgE levels (P < 0.05). Fat intake was inversely related with specific-IgEs for egg whites, milk, buck wheat, soy, and peanuts (P < 0.05). Positive associations were found between carbohydrate (CHO) intake and total IgE and specific IgEs to egg whites, milk, soy, and peanuts (P < 0.05). Vitamin C, E and n-3/n-6 fatty acids were not related with serum total IgE and specific IgE levels except for the association between buck wheat and vitamin E. In addition, there were no significant differences between males and females in dietary intake and serum IgE levels by student's t-test. Although dietary vitamin E showed no association with serum IgE levels, serum vitamin E drew a significant inverse relationship with serum IgE levels. The evidence seems to suggest that vitamin E may possibly lower total and specific-IgEs in children with AD, and that it is important to maintain a relatively high serum vitamin E level in children with AD.
Atopic dermatitis (AD);serum immunoglobulin E (IgE);serum vitamin E;dietary intake;children
- Solvoll K, Soyland E, Sandstad B, Drevon CA. Dietary habits among patients with atopic dermatitis. Eur J Clin Nutr 2000;54:93-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1600901
- Trak-Fellermeier MA, Brasche S, Winkler G, Koletzko B, Heinrich J. Food and fatty acid intake and atopic disease in adults. Eur Respir J 2004;23:575-82. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.04.00074404
- Sampson HA. The evaluation and management of food allergy in atopic dermatitis. Clin Dermatol 2003;21:183-92.
- Imai T, Iikura Y. The national survey of immediate type of food allergy. Arerugi 2003;52:1006-13.
- Devaney B, Kalb L, Briefel R, Zavitsky-Novak T, Clusen N, Ziegler P. Feeding infants and toddlers study: overview of the study design. J Am Diet Assoc 2004;104:S8-13.
- Fisher JO, Butte NF, Mendoza PM, Wilson TA, Hodges EA, Reidy KC, Deming D. Overestimation of infant and toddler energy intake by 24-h recall compared with weighed food records. Am J Clin Nutr 2008;88:407-15.
- Mediaty A, Neuber K. Total and specific serum IgE decreases with age in patients with allergic rhinitis, asthma and insect allergy but not in patients with atopic dermatitis. Immun Ageing 2005;2:9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1742-4933-2-9
- Wood RA, Segall N, Ahlstedt S, Williams PB. Accuracy of IgE antibody laboratory results. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2007;99:34-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1081-1206(10)60618-7
- Talegawkar SA, Johnson EJ, Carithers T, Taylor HA Jr, Bogle ML, Tucker KL. Total alpha-tocopherol intakes are associated with serum alpha-tocopherol concentrations in African American adults. J Nutr 2007;137:2297-303.
- Okuda M, Bando N, Terao J, Sasaki S, Sugiyama S, Kunitsugu I, Hobara T. Association of serum carotenoids and tocopherols with atopic diseases in Japanese children and adolescents. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2010;21:e705-10. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3038.2010.01014.x
- McKeever TM, Lewis SA, Smit H, Burney P, Britton J, Cassano PA. Serum nutrient markers and skin prick testing using data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004;114:1398-402. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2004.08.006
- Kamal-Eldin A, Appelqvist LA. The chemistry and antioxidant properties of tocopherols and tocotrienols. Lipids 1996;31:671-701. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02522884
- Packer L. Vitamin E is nature's master antioxidant. Sci Am Sci Med 1994;1:54-63.
- Meydani SN, Han SN, Wu D. Vitamin E and immune response in the aged: molecular mechanisms and clinical implications. Immunol Rev 2005;205:269-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0105-2896.2005.00274.x
- Chan SC, Kim JW, Henderson WR Jr, Hanifin JM. Altered prostaglandin E2 regulation of cytokine production in atopic dermatitis. J Immunol 1993;151:3345-52.
- Yamada K, Hung P, Yoshimura K, Taniguchi S, Lim BO, Sugano M. Effect of unsaturated fatty acids and antioxidants on immunoglobulin production by mesenteric lymph node lymphocytes of Sprague-Dawley rats. J Biochem 1996;120:138-44. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jbchem.a021375
- Fogarty A, Lewis S, Weiss S, Britton J. Dietary vitamin E, IgE concentrations, and atopy. Lancet 2000;356:1573-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(00)03132-9
- Patel S, Murray CS, Woodcock A, Simpson A, Custovic A. Dietary antioxidant intake, allergic sensitization and allergic diseases in young children. Allergy 2009;64:1766-72. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2009.02099.x
- Kompauer I, Heinrich J, Wolfram G, Linseisen J. Association of carotenoids, tocopherols and vitamin C in plasma with allergic rhinitis and allergic sensitisation in adults. Public Health Nutr 2006;9:472-9.
- Oh SY, Chung J, Kim MK, Kwon SO, Cho BH. Antioxidant nutrient intakes and corresponding biomarkers associated with the risk of atopic dermatitis in young children. Eur J Clin Nutr 2010;64:245-52. https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2009.148
- Zutavern A, Brockow I, Schaaf B, von Berg A, Diez U, Borte M, Kraemer U, Herbarth O, Behrendt H, Wichmann HE, Heinrich J; LISA Study Group. Timing of solid food introduction in relation to eczema, asthma, allergic rhinitis, and food and inhalant sensitization at the age of 6 years: results from the prospective birth cohort study LISA. Pediatrics 2008;121:e44-52.
- Omata N, Tsukahara H, Ito S, Ohshima Y, Yasutomi M, Yamada A, Jiang M, Hiraoka M, Nambu M, Deguchi Y, Mayumi M. Increased oxidative stress in childhood atopic dermatitis. Life Sci 2001;69:223-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(01)01124-9
- Devereux G, Seaton A. Diet as a risk factor for atopy and asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2005;115:1109-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2004.12.1139
- Ellwood P, Asher MI, Björkstén B, Burr M, Pearce N, Robertson CF. Diet and asthma, allergic rhinoconjunctivitis and atopic eczema symptom prevalence: an ecological analysis of the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC) data. ISAAC Phase One Study Group. Eur Respir J 2001;17:436-43. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.01.17304360
- Nurmatov U, Devereux G, Sheikh A. Nutrients and foods for the primary prevention of asthma and allergy: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011;127:724-33 e1-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2010.11.001
- Sausenthaler S, Loebel T, Linseisen J, Nagel G, Magnussen H, Heinrich J. Vitamin E intake in relation to allergic sensitization and IgE serum concentration. Cent Eur J Public Health 2009;17:79-85.
- Tricon S, Willers S, Smit HA, Burney PG, Devereux G, Frew AJ, Halken S, Høst A, Nelson M, Shaheen S, Warner JO, Calder PC. Nutrition and allergic disease. Clin Exp Allergy Rev 2006;6:117-88. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2222.2006.00114.x
- Eigenmann PA. Clinical features and diagnostic criteria of atopic dermatitis in relation to age. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2001;12 Suppl 14:69-74.
- Perry TT, Matsui EC, Kay Conover-Walker M, Wood RA. The relationship of allergen-specific IgE levels and oral food challenge outcome. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004;114:144-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2004.04.009
- Sampson HA. Utility of food-specific IgE concentrations in predicting symptomatic food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2001;107:891-6. https://doi.org/10.1067/mai.2001.114708
- Anandan C, Nurmatov U, Sheikh A. Omega 3 and 6 oils for primary prevention of allergic disease: systematic review and meta-analysis. Allergy 2009;64:840-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2009.02042.x
- Senapati S, Banerjee S, Gangopadhyay DN. Evening primrose oil is effective in atopic dermatitis: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2008;74:447-52. https://doi.org/10.4103/0378-6323.42645
- Tsoureli-Nikita E, Hercogova J, Lotti T, Menchini G. Evaluation of dietary intake of vitamin E in the treatment of atopic dermatitis: a study of the clinical course and evaluation of the immunoglobulin E serum levels. Int J Dermatol 2002;41:146-50. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-4362.2002.01423.x
- Javanbakht MH, Keshavarz SA, Djalali M, Siassi F, Eshraghian MR, Firooz A, Seirafi H, Ehsani AH, Chamari M, Mirshafiey A. Randomized controlled trial using vitamins E and D supplementation in atopic dermatitis. J Dermatolog Treat 2011;22:144-50. https://doi.org/10.3109/09546630903578566
- Hanifin JM, Rajka G. Diagnostic features of atopic dermatitis. Acta Derm Venereol Suppl (Stockh) 1980;59:44-7.
- Asher MI, Montefort S, Björkstén B, Lai CK, Strachan DP, Weiland SK, Williams H; ISAAC Phase Three Study Group. Worldwide time trends in the prevalence of symptoms of asthma, allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, and eczema in childhood: ISAAC Phases One and Three repeat multicountry cross-sectional surveys. Lancet 2006;368:733-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69283-0
- Hwang CY, Chen YJ, Lin MW, Chen TJ, Chu SY, Chen CC, Lee DD, Chang YT, Wang WJ, Liu HN. Prevalence of atopic dermatitis, allergic rhinitis and asthma in Taiwan: a national study 2000 to 2007. Acta Derm Venereol 2010;90:589-94. https://doi.org/10.2340/00015555-0963
- Jee HM, Kim KW, Kim CS, Sohn MH, Shin DC, Kim KE. Prevalence of asthma, rhinitis and eczema in Korean children using the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC) questionnaires. Pediatr Allergy Respir Dis 2009;19:165-72.
- Leung DY. Atopic dermatitis: new insights and opportunities for therapeutic intervention. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2000;105:860-76. https://doi.org/10.1067/mai.2000.106484
- Novak N. New insights into the mechanism and management of allergic diseases: atopic dermatitis. Allergy 2009;64:265-75. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2008.01922.x
- Arikawa J, Ishibashi M, Kawashima M, Takagi Y, Ichikawa Y, Imokawa G. Decreased levels of sphingosine, a natural antimicrobial agent, may be associated with vulnerability of the stratum corneum from patients with atopic dermatitis to colonization by Staphylococcus aureus. J Invest Dermatol 2002;119:433-9. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-1747.2002.01846.x
- Palmer CN, Irvine AD, Terron-Kwiatkowski A, Zhao Y, Liao H, Lee SP, Goudie DR, Sandilands A, Campbell LE, Smith FJ, O'Regan GM, Watson RM, Cecil JE, Bale SJ, Compton JG, DiGiovanna JJ, Fleckman P, Lewis-Jones S, Arseculeratne G, Sergeant A, Munro CS, El Houate B, McElreavey K, Halkjaer LB, Bisgaard H, Mukhopadhyay S, McLean WH. Common loss-of-function variants of the epidermal barrier protein filaggrin are a major predisposing factor for atopic dermatitis. Nat Genet 2006;38:441-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng1767
- Han DK, Kim MK, Yoo JE, Choi SY, Kwon BC, Sohn MH, Kim KE, Lee SY. Food sensitization in infants and young children with atopic dermatitis. Yonsei Med J 2004;45:803-9.
- Park JH, Choi YL, Namkung JH, Kim WS, Lee JH, Park HJ, Lee ES, Yang JM. Characteristics of extrinsic vs. intrinsic atopic dermatitis in infancy: correlations with laboratory variables. Br J Dermatol 2006;155:778-83. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2133.2006.07394.x
- Benhamou AH, Eigenmann PA. Atopic dermatitis and food allergies. Rev Med Suisse 2007;3:1038-43.
- Burks AW, James JM, Hiegel A, Wilson G, Wheeler JG, Jones SM, Zuerlein N. Atopic dermatitis and food hypersensitivity reactions. J Pediatr 1998;132:132-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3476(98)70498-6
- Finch J, Munhutu MN, Whitaker-Worth DL. Atopic dermatitis and nutrition. Clin Dermatol 2010;28:605-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clindermatol.2010.03.032
- Sausenthaler S, Heinrich J, Koletzko S; GINIplus and LISAplus Study Groups. Early diet and the risk of allergy: what can we learn from the prospective birth cohort studies GINIplus and LISAplus? Am J Clin Nutr 2011;94:2012S-2017S. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.110.001180
- Zheng T, Yu J, Oh MH, Zhu Z. The atopic march: progression from atopic dermatitis to allergic rhinitis and asthma. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res 2011;3:67-73. https://doi.org/10.4168/aair.2011.3.2.67
- Effects of Nutrition Education Promoting Vegetable, Fruit, and Fish Intake on the Severity of Atopic Dermatitis in Children: Results from a One-year Follow Up Study vol.18, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2013.18.5.515
Supported by : Korea Research Foundation