- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Gelsolin Induces Promonocytic Leukemia Differentiation Accompanied by Upregulation of p21CIP1
- Shirkoohi, Reza (Department of Genetics, Cancer Research Center, Cancer Institute of Iran, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Fujita, Hisakazu (Division of Cancer Gene Regulation, Research Section of Disease Control, Institute for Genetic Medicine, Hokkaido University) ;
- Darmanin, Stephanie (Center for Infectious Medicine, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge) ;
- Takimoto, Masato (Division of Cancer Gene Regulation, Research Section of Disease Control, Institute for Genetic Medicine, Hokkaido University)
- Published : 2012.09.30
Tumor suppressor genes have received much attention for their roles in the development of human malignancies. Gelsolin has been found to be down-regulated in several types of human cancers, including leukemias. It is, however, expressed in macrophages, which are the final differentiation derivatives for the monocytic myeloid lineage, implicating this protein in the differentiation process of such cells. In order to investigate the role of gelsolin in leukaemic cell differentiation, stable clones over-expressing ectopic gelsolin, and a control clone were established from U937 leukaemia cells. Unlike the control cells, both gelsolin-overexpressing clones displayed retarded growth, improved monocytic morphology, increased NADPH and NSE activities, and enhanced surface expression of the
- Banno Y, Fujita H, Ono Y, et al (1999). Differential phospholipase D activation by bradykinin and sphingosine 1-phosphate in NIH 3T3 fibroblasts overexpressing gelsolin. J Biol Chem, 274, 27385-91. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.274.39.27385
- Bhat R, Malinge S, Gamis A, et al (2009). Mutational analysis of candidate tumor-associated genes in acute megakaryoblastic leukemia. Leukemia, 23, 2159-60. https://doi.org/10.1038/leu.2009.159
- Cervio C, Barsotti D, Ibanez J, et al (2012). Early mortality in children with advanced mature b-cell malignancies in a middle-income country. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol, 34, 266-70. https://doi.org/10.1097/MPH.0b013e31826226b1
- Craig C, Schiller G (2008). Acute myeloid leukemia in the elderly: conventional and novel treatment approaches. Blood Rev, 22, 221-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.blre.2008.03.002
- Dieffenbach C, SenGupta D, Krause D, Swazak D, Silverman. RH (1989). Cloning of murine gelsolin and its regulation during differentiation of embryonal carcinoma cells. J Biol Chem, 264, 13281-8.
- Dong Z, Arnold R, Yang Y, et al (2005). Modulation of differentiation-related gene 1 expression by cell cycle blocker mimosine, revealed by proteomic analysis. Mol Cell Proteomics, 4, 993-1001. https://doi.org/10.1074/mcp.M500044-MCP200
- Fredly H, Ersvaer E, Stapnes C, Gjertsen B, Bruserud Q (2009). The combination of conventional chemotherapy with new targeted therapy in hematologic malignancies: The safety and efficiency of low-dose cytarabine supports its combination with new therapeutic agents in early clinical trials. Current Cancer Therapy Rev, 5, 243-55. https://doi.org/10.2174/157339409789712645
- Fujita H, Okada F, Hamada J, et al (2001). Gelsolin functions as a metastasis suppressor in B16-BL6 mouse melanoma cells and requirement of the carboxyl-terminus for its effect. Int J Cancer, 93, 773-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.1413
- Furnish E, Zhou W, Cunningham C, Kas J, Schmidt CE (2001). Gelsolin overexpression enhances neutrite outgrowth in PC12 cells. FEBS Letters, 508, 282-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(01)03078-2
- Germain P CP, Eichele G, Evans RM, et al (2006). International union of pharmacology. LX. Retinoic acid receptors. Pharmacol Rev, 58, 712-25. https://doi.org/10.1124/pr.58.4.4
- Goodrich D (2006). The retinoblastoma tumor-suppressor gene, the exception that proves the rule. Oncogene, 25, 5233-43. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1209616
- Humeniuk R, Mishra P, Bertino J, Banerjee D (2009). Molecular targets for epigenetic therapy of cancer. Curr Pharm Biotechnol, 10, 161-5. https://doi.org/10.2174/138920109787315123
- Jiang F, Guo N, Dusting G (2008 ). Modulation of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate oxidase expression and function by 3',4'-dihydroxyflavonol in phagocytic and vascular cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 324, 261-9.
- Kim J, Feldman R (2002). Activated Fes protein tyrosine kinase induces terminal macrophage differentiation of myeloid progenitors (U937 cells) and activation of the transcription factor PU.1. Mol and Cell Biochem, 22, 1903-18. https://doi.org/10.1128/MCB.22.6.1903-1918.2002
- Koeffler H (2010). Is there a role for differentiating therapy in non-APL AML? Best Pract Res Clin Haematol, 23, 503-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beha.2010.09.014
- Koschmieder S, Agrawal S, Radomska H, et al (2007). Decitabine and vitamin D3 differentially affect hematopoietic transcription factors to induce monocytic differentiation. Int J Oncol, 30, 349-55.
- Kuzumaki N, Maruta H (2002). Cytoskeletal tumor suppressor Genes, tumor-suppressing viruses, genes and drugs innovative cancer therapy approach, 177-197.
- Kwaitkowski D (1988). Predominant induction of gelsolin and actin binding protein during myeloid differentiation. J Biol Chem, 263, 13857-62.
- Lai D, Visser-Grieve S, Yang X (2012). Tumour suppressor genes in chemotherapeutic drug response. Biosci Rep, 32, 361-74. https://doi.org/10.1042/BSR20110125
- Li G, Arora P, Chen Y, McCulloch C, Liu P (2012). Multifunctional roles of gelsolin in health and diseases. Med Res Rev, 32, 999-1025. https://doi.org/10.1002/med.20231
- Liang H, Samanta S, Nagarajan L (2005). SSBP2, a candidate tumor suppressor gene, induces growth arrest and differentiation of myeloid leukemia cells. Oncogene, 24, 2625-34. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1208167
- Mak K, Funnell A, Pearson R, Crossley M (2011). PU.1 and Haematopoietic Cell Fate: Dosage Matters. Int J Cell Biol, VOL?, PAGE?-?.
- Matsuzaki K, Minami T, Tojo M, et al (2003). PML-nuclear bodies are involved in cellular serum response. Genes Cells, 8, 275-86. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2443.2003.00632.x
- Miranda M, McGuire T, Johnson D (2002). Importance of MEK- 1/-2 signaling in monocytic and granulocytic differentiation of myeloid cell lines. Leukemia, 16, 683-92. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.leu.2402400
- Moosavi M, Yazdanparast R (2008). Distinct MAPK signaling pathways, p21 up-regulation and caspase-mediated p21 cleavage establishes the fate of U937 cells exposed to 3-hydrogenkwadaphnin: differentiation versus apoptosis. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol, 230, 86-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2008.02.010
- Nam K, Choi M, Yoo E, Paeng D (2011). Influence of cell packing by centrifugation on 40-MHz ultrasound backscatter. Ultrasonics, 51, 197-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultras.2010.08.003
- O'Donnell M, Abboud C, Altman J, et al (2012). Acute myeloid leukemia. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 10, 984-1021.
- Ory D, Neugeboren B, Mulligan R (1996). A stable humanderived packaging cell line for production of high titer retrovirus/vesicular stomatitis virus G pseudotypes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 93, 11400-6. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.93.21.11400
- Patel D, Ahmad S, Weiss D, Gerke V, Kuznetsov S (2011). Annexin A1 is a new functional linker between actin filaments and phagosomes during phagocytosis. J Cell Sci, 124, 578-88. https://doi.org/10.1242/jcs.076208
- Petrie K, Zelent A, Waxman S (2009). Differentiation therapy of acute myeloid leukemia: past, present and future. Current Opinion in Hematology, 16, 84-91. https://doi.org/10.1097/MOH.0b013e3283257aee
- Sagawa N, Fujita H, Banno Y, et al (2003). Gelsolin suppresses tumorigenicity through inhibiting PKC activation in a human lung cancer cell line, PC10. Br J Cancer, 88, 606-12. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600739
- Sato M, Maruoka M, Takeya T (2012 ). Functional mechanisms and roles of adaptor proteins in Abl-regulated cytoskeletal actin dynamics. JOURNAL?, VOL?, PAGE ?-?.
- Sazawa A, Watanabe T, Tanaka M, et al (2002). Adenovirus mediated gelsolin gene therapy for orthotopic human bladder cancer in nude mice. J Urol, 168, 1182-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(05)64622-8
- Shima Y, Kitabayashi I (2011). Deregulated transcription factors in leukemia. Int J Hematol, 94, 134-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12185-011-0905-9
- Spike B, Wahl G (2011). p53, stem cells, and reprogramming: tumor suppression beyond guarding the genome. Genes Cancer, 2, 404-19. https://doi.org/10.1177/1947601911410224
- Tanaka H, Shirkoohi R, Nakagawa K, et al (2006). siRNA gelsolin knockdown induces epithelial-mesenchymal transition with a cadherin switch in human mammary epithelial cells. Int J Cancer, 118, 1680-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.21559
- Ullmannova V, Stockbauer P, Hradcova M, Soucek J, Haskovec C (2003). Relationship between cyclin D1 and p21(Waf1/ Cip1) during differentiation of human myeloid leukemia cell lines. Leuk Res, 27, 1115-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0145-2126(03)00103-6
- Verdijk P, van Veelen P, de Ru A, et al (2004). Morphological changes during dendritic cell maturation correlate with cofilin activation and translocation to the cell membrane. Eur J Immunol, 34, 156-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/eji.200324241
- Wiernik P (2011). Acute lymphoblastic leukemia of adulthood: progress or not? Curr Treat Options Oncol, 12, 303-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11864-011-0167-z
- Yamamoto T, N Sakaguchi, Hachiya M, et al ( 2009). Role of catalase in monocytic differentiation of U937 cells by TPA:hydrogen peroxide as a second messenger Role of catalase in monocytic differentiation. Leukemia, 23, 761-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/leu.2008.353
- Zeng H, Davis C (2003). Down-regulation of proliferating cell nuclear antigen gene expression occurs during cell cycle arrest induced by human fecal water in colonic HT-29 cells. J Nutr, 133, 2682-7.
- Zhao J, Zhang L, Zhang Y, Shen Y (2012). The differential regulation of Gap43 gene in the neuronal differentiation of P19 cells. J Cell Physiol, 227, 2645-53. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.23006
- Protective Effects of -Paradol on Histological Lesions and Immunohistochemical Gene Expression in DMBA Induced Hamster Buccal Pouch Carcinogenesis vol.14, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3123