- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Characterization and Resistance Mechanisms of A 5-fluorouracil-resistant Hepatocellular Carcinoma Cell Line
- Gu, Wei (Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University) ;
- Fang, Fan-Fu (Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University) ;
- Li, Bai (Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University) ;
- Cheng, Bin-Bin (Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University) ;
- Ling, Chang-Quan (Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University)
- Published : 2012.09.30
Purpose: The chemoresistance of human hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) to cytotoxic drugs, especially intrinsic or acquired multidrug resistance (MDR), still remains a major challenge in the management of HCC. In the present study, possible mechanisms involved in MDR of HCC were identified using a 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)-resistant human HCC cell line. Methods: BEL-7402/5-FU cells were established through continuous culturing parental BEL-7402 cells, imitating the pattern of chemotherapy clinically. Growth curves and chemosensitivity to cytotoxic drugs were determined by MTT assay. Doubling times, colony formation and adherence rates were calculated after cell counting. Morphological alteration, karyotype morphology, and untrastructure were assessed under optical and electron microscopes. The distribution in the cell cycle and drug efflux pump activity were measured by flow cytometry. Furthermore, expression of potential genes involved in MDR of BEL-7402/5-FU cells were detected by immunocytochemistry. Results: Compared to its parental cells, BEL-7402/5-FU cells had a prolonged doubling time, a lower mitotic index, colony efficiency and adhesive ability, and a decreased drug efflux pump activity. The resistant cells tended to grow in clusters and apparent changes of ultrastructures occurred. BEL-7402/5-FU cells presented with an increased proportion in S and G2/M phases with a concomitant decrease in G0/G1 phase. The MDR phenotype of BEL-7402/5-FU might be partly attributed to increased drug efflux pump activity via multidrug resistance protein 1 (MRP1), overexpression of thymidylate synthase (TS), resistance to apoptosis by augmentation of the Bcl-xl/Bax ratio, and intracellular adhesion medicated by E-cadherin (E-cad). P-glycoprotein (P-gp) might play a limited role in the MDR of BEL-7402/5-FU. Conclusion: Increased activity or expression of MRP1, Bcl-xl, TS, and E-cad appear to be involved in the MDR mechanism of BEL-7402/5-FU.
- Baguley BC (2010). Multidrug resistance in cancer. Methods Mol Biol, 596, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-60761-416-6_1
- Bruix J, Sherman M; Practice Guidelines Committee, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2005). Management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology, 42, 1208-36. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.20933
- Chen R, Zhu D, Ye X, et al (1980). Establishment of three human liver carcinoma cell lines and some of their biological characteristics in vitro. Sci Sin, 23, 236-47.
- Dai ZQ, Wang R, Ling SK, et al (2007). Simulated microgravity inhibits the proliferation and osteogenesis of rat bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells. Cell Prolif, 40, 671-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2184.2007.00461.x
- Durand RE, Olive PL (1981). Flow cytometry studies of intracellular adriamycin in single cells in vitro. Cancer Res, 41(9 Pt 1), 3489-94.
- El-Serag HB (2011). Hepatocellular carcinoma. N Engl J Med, 365, 1118-27. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1001683
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). GLOBOCAN 2008, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 10 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer. Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr
- Frustaci S, Bearz A, Basso B, et al (2003). Efficacy of oxaliplatin and 5-fluorouracil in hepatocarcinoma (HCC). Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol, 22, (abstr 1346).
- Green SK, Francia G, Isidoro C, Kerbel RS (2004). Antiadhesive antibodies targeting E-cadherin sensitize multicellular tumor spheroids to chemotherapy in vitro. Mol Cancer Ther, 3, 149-59.
- Guglielmi A, Aschele C, Grossi F, et al (1996). Alternating bolus and continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil: a strategy to overcome resistance to this fluoropyrimidine in advanced colorectal cancer patients. Cytotechnology, 19, 215-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00744215
- Han KQ, Huang G, Gu W, et al (2007). Anti-tumor activities and apoptosis-regulated mechanisms of bufalin on the orthotopic transplantation tumor model of human hepatocellular carcinoma in nude mice. World J Gastroenterol, 13, 3374-9.
- Huai-Yun H, Secrest DT, Mark KS, et al (1998). Expression of multidrug resistance-associated protein (MRP) in brain microvessel endothelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 243, 816-20. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1997.8132
- Jianmin Z, Hongfang W, Meifu F (2002). Resistance of multicellular aggregates to pharmorubicin observed in human hepatocarcinoma cells. Braz J Med Biol Res, 35, 255-60. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-879X2002000200015
- Jin J, Huang M, Wei HL, Liu GT (2002). Mechanism of 5-fluorouracil required resistance in human hepatocellular carcinoma cell line Bel(7402). World J Gastroenterol, 8, 1029-34.
- Li B, Ye T, Zhao L, et al (2006). Effects of multidrug resistance, antisense RNA on the chemosensitivity of hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int, 5, 552-9.
- Li G, Chen X, Wang Q, et al (2007). The roles of four multi-drug resistance proteins in hepatocellular carcinoma multidrug resistance. J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci, 27, 173-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11596-007-0217-8
- Li YX, Lin ZB, Tan HR (2004). Wild type p53 increased chemosensitivity of drug-resistant human hepatocellular carcinoma Bel7402/5-FU cells. Acta Pharmacol Sin, 25, 76-82.
- Livraghi T, Makisalo H, Line PD (2011). Treatment options in hepatocellular carcinoma today. Scand J Surg, 100, 22-9.
- Marin JJ, Romero MR, Briz O (2010). Molecular bases of liver cancer refractoriness to pharmacological treatment. Curr Med Chem, 17, 709-40. https://doi.org/10.2174/092986710790514462
- Meta-analysis Group In Cancer (1998). Efficacy of intravenous continuous infusion of fluorouracil compared with bolus administration in advanced colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol, 16, 301-8.
- Petriz J, Garcia-Lopez J (1997). Flow cytometric analysis of P-glycoprotein function using rhodamine 123. Leukemia, 11, 1124-30. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.leu.2400659
- Qin S, Thongprasert S, Lim HY, et al (2010). Oxaliplatin + 5-fluorouracil/leucovorin (FOLFOX4) in advanced HCC: updated efficacy results of the EACH trial. Ann Oncol, 21(Suppl 8), 826P. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdp375
- Ryu SH, Chung YH (2010). How to overcome multidrug resistance in chemotherapy for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma. Liver Int, 30, 496-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1478-3231.2010.02215.x
- Shaffer LG, Tommerup N, ed (2005). ISCN 2005: An International System for Human Cytogenetic Nomenclature. S. Karger, Basel, Switzerland.
- Sun Z, Zhao Z, Li G, et al (2010). Relevance of two genes in the multidrug resistance of hepatocellular carcinoma: in vivo and clinical studies. Tumori, 96, 90-6.
- Tong SW, Yang YX, Hu HD, et al (2012). Proteomic investigation of 5-fluorouracil resistance in a human hepatocellular carcinoma cell line. J Cell Biochem, 113, 1671-80.
- Uchibori K, Kasamatsu A, Sunaga M, et al (2012). Establishment and characterization of two 5-fluorouracil-resistant hepatocellular carcinoma cell lines. Int J Oncol, 40, 1005-10.
- Wilson TR, Johnston PG, Longley DB (2009). Anti-apoptotic mechanisms of drug resistance in cancer. Curr Cancer Drug Targets, 9, 307-19. https://doi.org/10.2174/156800909788166547
- Wrzesinski SH, Taddei TH, Strazzabosco M (2011). Systemic therapy in hepatocellular carcinoma. Clin Liver Dis, 15, 423-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cld.2011.03.002
- Yan F, Wang XM, Liu ZC, et al (2010). JNK1, JNK2, and JNK3 are involved in P-glycoprotein-mediated multidrug resistance of hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int, 9, 287-95.
- Yang JX, Luo Y, Qiu HM, Tang WX (2009). Characterization and resistance mechanisms of cisplatin-resistant human hepatocellular carcinoma cell line. Saudi Med J, 30, 35-40.
- Yunis JJ (1981). New chromosome techniques in the study of human neoplasia. Hum Pathol, 12, 540-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0046-8177(81)80068-8
- Zhai BJ, Shao ZY, Zhao CL, et al (2006). Development and characterization of multidrug resistant human hepatocarcinoma cell line in nude mice. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 6614-9.
- Zhou J, Cheng SC, Luo D, Xie Y (2001). Study of multi-drug resistant mechanisms in a taxol-resistant hepatocellular carcinoma QGY-TR 50 cell line. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 280, 1237-42. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.2001.4268
- Zhou Y, Ling XL, Li SW, et al (2010). Establishment of a human hepatoma multidrug resistant cell line in vitro. World J Gastroenterol, 16, 2291-7. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v16.i18.2291
- Establishment of Paclitaxel-resistant Breast Cancer Cell Line and Nude Mice Models, and Underlying Multidrug Resistance Mechanisms in Vitro and in Vivo vol.14, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.6135
- Reversal effect of bufalin on multidrug resistance in human hepatocellular carcinoma BEL-7402/5-FU cells vol.31, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2013.2817
- FUT family mediates the multidrug resistance of human hepatocellular carcinoma via the PI3K/Akt signaling pathway vol.4, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1038/cddis.2013.450
- Establishment and characterization of a paclitaxel-resistant human esophageal carcinoma cell line vol.43, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2013.2083
- Anticancer Effect of Ginseng Leaves Crude Polysaccharides on Human Hepatoma Cell SMMC-7721 vol.05, pp.02, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4236/cm.2014.52010
- Puerarin inhibits growth and induces apoptosis in SMMC-7721 hepatocellular carcinoma cells vol.10, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2014.2512
- Over-Expression of Beclin-1 Facilitates Acquired Resistance to Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor-Induced Apoptosis vol.15, pp.18, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7913
- Loss of Runt-related transcription factor 3 induces resistance to 5-fluorouracil and cisplatin in hepatocellular carcinoma vol.35, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2016.4681
- FGF2-mediated reciprocal tumor cell-endothelial cell interplay contributes to the growth of chemoresistant cells: a potential mechanism for superficial bladder cancer recurrence vol.37, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-015-4214-4
- Downregulation of NPM reverses multidrug resistance in human hepatoma cells via inhibition of P-glycoprotein expression vol.15, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2017.6246
- Investigation of potential molecular biomarkers and small molecule drugs for hepatocellular carcinoma transformed from cirrhosis vol.12, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.4615
- Role of uL3 in Multidrug Resistance in p53-Mutated Lung Cancer Cells vol.18, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18030547
- Cepharanthine combined with 5-fluorouracil inhibits the growth of p53-mutant human colorectal cancer cells pp.1477-2213, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/10286020.2018.1564136