- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Prognostic Significance of Annexin A1 Expression in Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma
- Chen, Cong-Ying (Department of Gastroenterology, Shanghai Tenth People's Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine) ;
- Shen, Jia-Qing (Department of Gastroenterology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University) ;
- Wang, Feng (Department of Gastroenterology, Shanghai Tenth People's Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine) ;
- Wan, Rong (Department of Gastroenterology, Shanghai Tenth People's Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine) ;
- Wang, Xing-Peng (Department of Gastroenterology, Shanghai Tenth People's Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine)
- Published : 2012.09.30
Annexin A1 is a 37-kDa calcium- and phospholipid-binding protein of the annexin superfamily considered to play an important role in tumorigenesis. However, associations with clinicopathological features in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) cases have yet to be fully defined. We therefore investigated the prognostic value of annexin A1 protein as a PDAC biomarker in 83 tumor and matched non-cancerous tissues or normal pancreas tissues. Expression was analyzed using real-time RT-PCR, Western blotting and immunohistochemistry. In non-tumor tissue, myoepithelial cells showed no or weak expression of annexin A1 while expression was strong and sometimes even located in the nuclei of endothelial cells in tumor tissue. High expression was significantly associated with advanced stage (P <0.05) and a worse overall survival (P <0.05). These results provide new insights to better understand the role of annexin A1 in PDAC survival, and might be relevant to prediction of prognosis and development of more effective therapeutic strategies aimed at improving survival.
Supported by : Foundation of Shanghai Science and Technology Committee
- Alldridge LC, Bryant CE (2003). Annexin 1 regulates cell proliferation by disruption of cell morphology and inhibition of cyclin D1 expression through sustained activation of the ERK1/2 MAPK signal. Exp Cell Res, 290, 93-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-4827(03)00310-0
- Alves VA, Nonogaki S, Cury PM, et al (2008). Annexin A1 subcellular expression in laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Histopathology, 53, 715-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2559.2008.03186.x
- Arur S, Uche UE, Rezaul K, et al (2003). Annexin I is an endogenous ligand that mediates apoptotic cell engulfment. Dev Cell, 4, 587-598. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1534-5807(03)00090-X
- Bai XF, Ni XG, Zhao P, et al (2004). Overexpression of annexin 1 in pancreatic cancer and its clinical significance. World J Gastroenterol, 10, 1466-70.
- Bhat K, Wang F, Ma Q, et al (2012). Advances in biomarker research for pancreatic cancer. Curr Pharm Des, 18, 2439- 51 https://doi.org/10.2174/13816128112092439
- Cui L, Wang Y, Shi Y, et al (2007). Overexpression of annexin a1 induced by terephthalic acid calculi in rat bladder cancer. Proteomics, 7, 4192-202. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmic.200700582
- Da J, Meng X, Wang P, et al (2001). Significance on expressions of Annexin-I and its correlative gene proteins in endometrial hyperplasia, atypical hyperplasia and endometrial carcinoma. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi, 30, 256-9.
- de Coupade C, Gillet R, Bennoun M, et al (2000). Annexin 1 expression and phosphorylation are upregulated during liver regeneration and transformation in antithrombin III SV40 T large antigen transgenic mice. Hepatology, 31, 371-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.510310217
- Fatimathas L, Moss SE (2010). Annexins as disease modifiers. Histol Histopathol, 25, 527-32.
- Ferrone CR, Pieretti-Vanmarcke R, Bloom JP, et al (2012). Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: Long-term survival does not equal cure. Surgery, 152, S43-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2012.05.020
- Garcia Pedrero JM, Fernandez MP, Morgan RO, et al (2004). Annexin A1 down-regulation in head and neck cancer is associated with epithelial differentiation status. Am J Pathol, 164, 73-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9440(10)63098-2
- Hannon R, Croxtall JD, Getting SJ, et al (2003). Aberrant inflammation and resistance to glucocorticoids in annexin 1-/- mouse. FASEB J, 17, 253-5.
- Hayes MJ, Moss SE (2004). Annexins and disease. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 322, 1166-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2004.07.124
- Horton P, Park KJ, Obayashi T, et al (2007). WoLF PSORT: protein localization predictor. Nucleic Acids Res, 35, W585-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkm259
- Kang H, Ko J, Jang SW (2012). The role of annexin A1 in expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 and invasion of breast cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 423, 188-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2012.05.114
- Kim KM, Kim DK, Park YM, et al (1994). Annexin-I inhibits phospholipase A2 by specific interaction, not by substrate depletion. FEBS Lett, 343, 251-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(94)80566-0
- Kim YS, Ko J, Kim IS, et al (2003). PKCdelta-dependent cleavage and nuclear translocation of annexin A1 by phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate. Eur J Biochem, 270, 4089-94. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1432-1033.2003.03800.x
- Lim LH, Pervaiz S (2007). Annexin 1: the new face of an old molecule. FASEB J, 21, 968-75. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.06-7464rev
- Lin CY, Jeng YM, Chou HY, et al (2008). Nuclear localization of annexin A1 is a prognostic factor in oral squamous cell carcinoma. J Surg Oncol, 97, 544-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20992
- Liu K, Qin CK, Wang ZY, et al (2012). Expression of tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced protein 8 in pancreas tissues and its correlation with epithelial growth factor receptor levels. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 847-50. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.847
- Liu Y, Wang HX, Lu N, et al (2003). Translocation of annexin I from cellular membrane to the nuclear membrane in human esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol, 9, 645-9.
- Moss SE, Morgan RO (2004). The annexins. Genome Biol, 5, 219. https://doi.org/10.1186/gb-2004-5-4-219
- Mulla A, Christian HC, Solito E, et al (2004). Expression, subcellular localization and phosphorylation status of annexins 1 and 5 in human pituitary adenomas and a growth hormone-secreting carcinoma. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf), 60, 107-19. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2004.01936.x
- Nomura H, Uzawa K, Yamano Y, et al (2009). Down-regulation of plasma membranous Annexin A1 protein expression in premalignant and malignant lesions of the oral cavity: correlation with epithelial differentiation. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 135, 943-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-008-0530-z
- Perretti M, Croxtall JD, Wheller SK, et al (1996). Mobilizing lipocortin 1 in adherent human leukocytes downregulates their transmigration. Nat Med, 2, 1259-62. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm1196-1259
- Petrella A, Festa M, Ercolino SF, et al (2006). Annexin-1 downregulation in thyroid cancer correlates to the degree of tumor differentiation. Cancer Biol Ther, 5, 643-7. https://doi.org/10.4161/cbt.5.6.2700
- Radke S, Austermann J, Russo-Marie F, et al (2004). Specific association of annexin 1 with plasma membrane-resident and internalized EGF receptors mediated through the protein core domain. FEBS Lett, 578, 95-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.febslet.2004.10.078
- Rescher U, Danielczyk A, Markoff A, et al (2002). Functional activation of the formyl peptide receptor by a new endogenous ligand in human lung A549 cells. J Immunol, 169, 1500-4. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.169.3.1500
- Rhee HJ, Kim GY, Huh JW, et al (2000). Annexin I is a stress protein induced by heat, oxidative stress and a sulfhydrylreactive agent. Eur J Biochem, 267, 3220-5. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1432-1327.2000.01345.x
- Rodrigo JP, Garcia-Pedrero JM, Llorente JL, et al (2011). Down-regulation of annexin A1 and A2 protein expression in intestinal-type sinonasal adenocarcinomas. Hum Pathol, 42, 88-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2010.05.017
- Silistino-Souza R, Rodrigues-Lisoni FC, Cury PM, et al (2007). Annexin 1: differential expression in tumor and mast cells in human larynx cancer. Int J Cancer, 120, 2582-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.22639
- Solito E, Kamal A, Russo-Marie F, et al (2003a). A novel calcium-dependent proapoptotic effect of annexin 1 on human neutrophils. FASEB J, 17, 1544-6.
- Solito E, Mulla A, Morris JF, et al (2003b). Dexamethasone induces rapid serine-phosphorylation and membrane translocation of annexin 1 in a human folliculostellate cell line via a novel nongenomic mechanism involving the glucocorticoid receptor, protein kinase C, phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, and mitogen-activated protein kinase. Endocrinology, 144, 1164-74. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.2002-220592
- Taghavi A, Fazeli Z, Vahedi M, et al (2011). Pancreatic cancer mortality and misclassification--bayesian analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2271-4.
- Vishwanatha JK, Salazar E, Gopalakrishnan VK (2004). Absence of annexin I expression in B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphomas and cell lines. BMC Cancer, 4, 8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-4-8
- Winter JM, Yeo CJ, Brody JR (2012). Diagnostic, prognostic, and predictive biomarkers in pancreatic cancer. J Surg Oncol, 52, S43-9.
- Zhu F, Xu C, Jiang Z, et al (2010). Nuclear localization of annexin A1 correlates with advanced disease and peritoneal dissemination in patients with gastric carcinoma. Anat Rec, 293, 1310-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.21176
- Regulatory Mechanisms of Annexin-Induced Chemotherapy Resistance in Cisplatin Resistant Lung Adenocarcinoma vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3191
- Identification of ANXA1 as a Lymphatic Metastasis and Poor Prognostic Factor in Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2719
- miR-196a Is Able to Restore the Aggressive Phenotype of Annexin A1 Knock-Out in Pancreatic Cancer Cells by CRISPR/Cas9 Genome Editing vol.19, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19071967