- Volume 13 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effect of Portal Vein Chemotherapy on Liver Metastasis after Surgical Resection of Colorectal Cancer
- Yu, Dong-Sheng (Department of Surgery, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Research Institute) ;
- Li, Ying (Department of Chemotherapy, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Research Institute) ;
- Huang, Xin-En (Department of Chemotherapy, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Research Institute) ;
- Lu, Yan-Yan (Department of Chemotherapy, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Research Institute) ;
- Wu, Xue-Yan (Department of Chemotherapy, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Research Institute) ;
- Liu, Jin (Department of Chemotherapy, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Research Institute) ;
- Cao, Jie (Department of Chemotherapy, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Research Institute) ;
- Xu, Xia (Department of Chemotherapy, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Research Institute) ;
- Xiang, Jin (Department of Research, Jiangsu Cancer Hospital & Research Institute) ;
- Wang, Guo-Ping (Department of Gastroenterology, Nanijng Jiangbei People Hospital)
- Published : 2012.09.30
Objective: To explore the effect of portal vein chemotherapy on liver metastasis after surgical resection of colorectal cancer. Methods: Patients fulfilling the eligibility criteria were assigned to receive either surgery plus 1-week continuous infusion of 5-FU (study group) or surgery alone (observational group). Patients in the study group received portal vein chemotherapy, whereby 5-FU (1000 mg/d) and heparin (5000 IU/d) infusion was initiated from the day of surgery and lasted for 7 consecutive days. Liver metastasis was monitored during five years follow-up postoperatively. Results: Sixty four patients were recruited and assigned to the study group (12 with colon and 20 with rectal cancer) or the control group (10 with colon and 22 with rectal cancer). Liver metastasis rate was 12.5% in study and 25.0% in observational group, the difference being significant (P<0.01). Conclusion: Portal vein chemotherapy could be an effective treatment in preventing liver metastasis after surgical resection of colorectal cancer.
- Cihan Ş, Uncu D, Babacan NA, et al (2011).Adjuvant modified FOLFOX-4 in patients with stage III rectum adenocarcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 967-70.
- Cole WH, Packard D, Southwick HW (1954). Carcinoma of the Colon with Special Reference to Prevention of Recurrence. JAMA, 155, 1549. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1954.03690360001001
- El-Basmy A, Al-Mohannadi S, Al-Awadi A (2012). Some epidemiological measures of cancer in kuwait: national cancer registry data from 2000 -2009. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3113-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3113
- Fielding LP, Hittinger R, Grace RH, Fry JS (1992).Randomised controlled trial of adjuvant chemotherapy by portalvein perfusion after curative resection for colorectal adenocarcinoma. Lancet, 340, 502-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(92)91708-G
- Foley EF, Kolecki RV, Sehirmer BD (1998). The accuracy of laparoscopic ultr-asound in the detection of colorcctal cancer liver metastases. Am J Surg, 176, 262. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9610(98)00147-0
- Gao LL, Huang XE, Zhang Q, et al (2011). 14.A Cisplatin and vinorelbine (NP) regimen as a postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy for completely resected breast cancers in China: final results of a phase II clinical trial. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 77-80.
- Gong P, Huang XE, Chen CY, et al (2012). Comparison on Complications of Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters by Ultrasound Guide or Conventional Method in Cancer Patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1873-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1873
- Gray R, James R, Mossman J, Stenning S (1991). AXIS-a suitable case for treatment. UK Coordinating Committee on Cancer Research (UKCCCR) Colorectal Cancer Subcommittee. Br J Cancer, 63, 841-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1991.187
- Hayashi N, Egami H, Kai M, et a1 (1999). No--touch isolation technique reducesintraoperative shedding tumor cells into the portal vein during resection of colorectal cancer. Surgery, 125, 369. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0039-6060(99)70003-6
- Holden WD, Dixon WJ (1962). A study on the use of triethylenethiophosporamide as an adjuvant to surgery in the treatment of colorectal cancer. Cancer Chemother Rep, 16, 129-34.
- Huang XE, Li CG, Li Y, et al (2011). Weekly TP regimen as a postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy for completely resected breast cancer in China: final result of a phase II trial. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2797-800.
- Jiang Y, Huang XE, Yan PW, et al (2010). Validation of treatment efficacy of a computer-assisted program for breast cancer patients receiving postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1059-62.
- Laffer U, Metzger U, Aeberhard P, et al (2008). Adjuvant perioperative portal vein or peripheral intravenous chemotherapy for potentially curative colorectal cancer: long-term results of a randomized controlled trial. Int J Colorectal Dis, 23, 1233-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-008-0543-8
- Leonard GD, Brenner B, Kemeny NE (2005). Neoadjuvant chemotherapy before liver resection for patients with unresectable liver metastases from colorectal carcinoma. J Clin Oncol, 23, 2038-48. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.00.349
- Li CG, Huang XE, Li Y, et al (2011). Clinical observations on safety and efficacy of OxyContin(R) administered by rectal route in treating cancer related pain. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2477-8.
- Li CG, Huang XE, Li Y, et al (2011). Phase II trial of irinotecan plus nedaplatin (INP) in treating patients with extensive stage small cell lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 487-90.
- Li CG, Huang XE, Xu L, et al (2012). Clinical application of serum tumor associated material (TAM) from non-small cell lung cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 301-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.301
- Liver Infusion Meta-Analysis Group (1997). Portal vein chemotherapy for colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis of 4000 patients in 10 studies. J Natl Cancer Inst, 89, 497-505. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/89.7.497
- Li Y, Yan PW, Huang XE, et al (2011). MDR1 gene C3435T polymorphism is associated with clinical outcomes in gastric cancer patients treated with postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2405-9.
- Ohman U (1985). Colorectal carcinoma. A survey of 1345 cases 1950-1984. Acta Chir Scand, 151, 675-9.
- Stangl R, Altendorf-Hofmann A, Charnley RM, Scheele J (1994). Factors influencing the natural history of colorectal liver metastases. Lancet, 343, 1405-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(94)92529-1
- Taylor I, Machin D, Mullee M, et al (1985). A randomized controlled trail of adjuvant portal vein cytotoxic perfusion in colorectal cancer. BrJ Surg, 72, 359-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800720509
- Taylor I, Rowling J, West C (1979). Adjuvant cytotoxic liver perfusion for colorectal cancer. Br J Surg, 66, 833-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800661202
- Xu HX, Huang XE, Li Y, et al (2011). A clinical study on safety and efficacy of Aidi injection combined with chemotherapy. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2233-6.
- Xu HX, Huang XE, Qian ZY, et al (2011). Clinical observation of Endostar(R) combined with chemotherapy in advanced colorectal cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3087-90.
- Xu JW, Li CG, Huang XE, et al (2011). Ubenimex capsule improves general performance and chemotherapy related toxicity in advanced gastric cancer cases. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 985-7.
- Yan PW, Huang XE, Jiang Y, et al (2010). A clinical comparison on safety and efficacy of Paclitaxel/Epirubicin (NE) with Fluorouracil/Epirubicin/Cyclophosphamide (FEC) as postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1115-8.
- Yan PW, Huang XE, Yan F, et al (2011). Influence of MDR1 gene codon 3435 polymorphisms on outcome of platinumbased chemotherapy for advanced non small cell lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2291-4.
- Yu DS, Huang XE, Zhou JN, et al (2012). Comparative study on the value of anal preserving surgery for aged people with low rectal carcinoma in Jiangsu, China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2339-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2339
- Zhang LQ, Huang XE, Wang J (2011). The cyclin D1 G870A polymorphism and colorectal cancer susceptibility: a metaanalysis of 20 populations. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 81-5.
- Zhang XZ, Huang XE, Xu YL, et al (2012). Phase II study on voriconazole for treatment of Chinese patients with malignant hematological disorders and invasive aspergillosis. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 13, 2415-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2415
- Zhou JN, Huang XE, Ye Z, et al (2009). Weekly paclitaxel/ Docetaxel combined with a paltinum in the treatment of advanced non-samll cell lung cancer: a study on efficacy, safety and pre-medication. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 1147-50.
- Colorectal Cancer Trends in Kerman Province, the Largest Province in Iran, with Forecasting until 2016 vol.14, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.791
- Safety of intraoperative chemotherapy with 5-FU for colorectal cancer patients receiving curative resection: a randomized, multicenter, prospective, phase III IOCCRC trial (IOCCRC) vol.143, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-017-2489-0